bead locks on a all purpose rig??

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Kris K said:
Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person may not have a tire on a vehicle that is moved on a highway that has on the tire's periphery a block, stud, flange, cleat, or spike or any other protuberances of any material other than rubber which projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire.

Had to read that twice. Looks like the key is tread of the traction surface, and not the side of the tire as I was thinking the first time reading it. You would have to do some measuring, but I bet that puts lots of beadlocks in jeopardy.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
toys4rocks said:
I guess I am missing the correlation between studs and beadlocks?? This subsection is talking about protuberences past the "tread", or traction surface.

It pretty much say's anything metal can't go past the tread patch.

I would also call the beadlock ring a flange.

kobyhud

Lurker
There is no state law saying anything at all about wheels at all. However... there is the law that says you do whatever the crap the highway patrol man tells you.

Page 16 of the Utah Highway Patrol Saftey Inspection Manual.

F. WHEELS

1. Check wheels for any damage and proper mounting.
REJECT vehicle when:
a) has 25% or more of the wheel bolts, nuts, studs or lugs loose, missing or damaged per wheel.
b) Wheels are bent, cracked, rewelded or have elongated bolt holes.
c) Spacers are used to increase the wheel track width.

NOTE: Custome wheel adapters are not spacers. Also "BEAD LOCKS" on rims are illegal and will be cause to reject.

So do I get a 1000 dollars...???

Nope because technically it isn't in the state laws and statues. However, since it is cause for rejection by the highway patrol then they can legally cite you and fine you. You could probably win in court if you had a good lawyer and a judge willing to listen. But all it would do is make the highway patrolmen petition to make it a written law and they would win I am afraid.

Quite a few of the illegalities on off road trucks falls into this category of not being explicitly mentioned in state law but it doesn't change the fact that they can still do what ever the crap the want to you.

BEADLOCKS are illegal DOT approved or not.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
rusted said:
Had to read that twice. Looks like the key is tread of the traction surface, and not the side of the tire as I was thinking the first time reading it. You would have to do some measuring, but I bet that puts lots of beadlocks in jeopardy.

you got it.

It's tough like you said, but alot of time's the tread on your tire's usually push out farther then your rim or beadlocks. Exspecialy when aired down.

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
Kris K said:
It pretty much say's anything metal can't go past the tread patch.

I would also call the beadlock ring a flange.

But it also says for use as a traction device and is illegal if it damages the road???? Interpretation??

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
kobyhud said:
There is no state law saying anything at all about wheels at all. However... there is the law that says you do whatever the crap the highway patrol man tells you.

Page 16 of the Utah Highway Patrol Saftey Inspection Manual.

F. WHEELS

REJECT vehicle when:
a) has 25% or more of the wheel bolts, nuts, studs or lugs loose, missing or damaged per wheel.

NOTE: Custome wheel adapters are not spacers. Also "BEAD LOCKS" on rims are illegal and will be cause to reject.

So do I get a 1000 dollars...???

Nope because technically it isn't in the state laws and statues. However, since it is cause for rejection by the highway patrol then they can legally cite you and fine you. You could probably win in court if you had a good lawyer and a judge willing to listen. But all it would do is make the highway patrolmen petition to make it a written law and they would win I am afraid.

Quite a few of the illegalities on off road trucks falls into this category of not being explicitly mentioned in state law but it doesn't change the fact that they can still do what ever the crap the want to you.

BEADLOCKS are illegal DOT approved or not.

In accordance with Title 63, Chapter 46a, Utah Administrative Rulemaking Act.

Maybe this is how they can make it a rule/law.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kris K said:
(3) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person may not have a tire on a vehicle that is moved on a highway that has on the tire's periphery a block, stud, flange, cleat, or spike or any other protuberances of any material other than rubber which projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire....

1. That is in reference to tires 100%, that exact law has been brought up a couple of other times (on internet chats). It was shown that the law is in regard to items extending beyond the TRACTION SURFACE, which by definition is the TOP of the tire, not the sides.

2. My beadlocks do not extend past the rubber even @ 30psi, so even "if" that law covered wheels (it talks about tires) then I would still be legit.

3. If that law were referencing wheels, then I can think of thousands of vehicles that have hubcaps (not rubber) that protrude further than the rubber.

Not convinced... not slightly...

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Kris K said:
41-6a-1636-3.

(3) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person may not have a tire on a vehicle that is moved on a highway that has on the tire's periphery a block, stud, flange, cleat, or spike or any other protuberances of any material other than rubber which projects beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire.

That is directly refering to the tire and not the wheel. You can use tires that have cleats, studs, or anything integrated into the tire. Also, read "beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire". This makes no reference to the wheel.

Sorry. no $1,000 for you. :p

kobyhud

Lurker
On a positive note you could definitely argue that bolt on wheel spacers that change your stud pattern or even ones that don't are actually wheel adapters and are fine and dandy. I am considering a set of "wheel adapters" myself .

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
toys4rocks said:
But it also says for use as a traction device and is illegal if it damages the road???? Interpretation??

Like before the whole beadlock legallity can go around and around.

Like kobyhud said in the UHP Saftey Manual it said no go on Beadlocks.

Also even the feds say you can't weld on a rim. I don't know how beadlocks come if the company just welds teh inner ring on then sells it to you. But If you get the DIY beadlocks and weld it on then it illegal.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
And if it is by some crazy undersight refering to the wheel... then what about the lugs that stick out on the front wheels of duelly diesels? Those must for sure be illegal then. ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
kobyhud said:
...Page 16 of the Utah Highway Patrol Saftey Inspection Manual.

F. WHEELS

REJECT vehicle when:

Good thing that is NOT a State or Federal law. I have no doubt that it "could" be. But remember the U4WDA worked with the UHP to re-write and classify their last crappy interpretation (previous Utah lift law) into a very legit system, could work again.

The fact is simple, you can not be charged with something that is NOT a written law. Yes you can be ticketed, yes you can be summoned to court, but in the end (with time and money), you shall prevail.

Show me the LAW (not the handbook written by NON-lawmakers :D)

toys4rocks

So basically, there is no state law. But Mr. Hair up his @$$ UHP doesn't like you , your attitude, your truck, or some one pissed in his wheaties. You are going to get a ticket. Thats nice!! On the other hand if you went to court, paid a competent lawyer (for traffic court$$$$) you can get the ticket dropped. Again, Nice!!

I guess it boils down to what you want to deal with. Do you want to get hassled? Or do you want to fly under the radar? I am trying to keep my new to me 4Runner as stock looking as possible and not gain unwanted attention.

If you guys believe you have proof (and I am not disputing you do, I just think it's an interpretation) then get your money from Rockstomper.

toys4rocks

Herzog said:
And if it is by some crazy undersight refering to the wheel... then what about the lugs that stick out on the front wheels of duelly diesels? Those must for sure be illegal then. ;)

The first thing I thought about when I read your post was front dually wheels. If anything past the tread is illegal, then???????

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kris K said:

The UHP "Manual" is NOT law... rather their (or the single person(s) that wrote it) interpretation of the law. It doesn't even begin to describe beadlocks, so are hummer style beadlocks illegal? Staun?

Also even the feds say you can't weld on a rim. I don't know how beadlocks come if the company just welds teh inner ring on then sells it to you. But If you get the DIY beadlocks and weld it on then it illegal.

1. Show me that law

2. Every wheel company welds the shell, and the inner section in, I think they could be trusted (such as Allied and MRT) to weld on the ring. How do they differentiate what welds are GO and which welds are NO?

toys4rocks

Kris K said:
Like before the whole beadlock legallity can go around and around.

But to cite you, they would have to prove you welded them on. This was actually referenced in one of those thread links by Rockstomper.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I do mostley federal law's so most of my stuff come's from fed books.

I guess if I was a police officer or UHP I'd worry about the law mor. I never plan on running beadlocks on the road, kind of scares me.

toys4rocks

Kris K said:
I do mostley federal law's so most of my stuff come's from fed books.

I guess if I was a police officer or UHP I'd worry about the law mor. I never plan on running beadlocks on the road, kind of scares me.

Now on personal feeling regarding running them. I completely agree with you. I will be the first to admit, that I would not check every bolt before driving them long distances.

That means they prolly won't go on the street on my truck.

Last edited:

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I got the no welds on rim's from the CVSA Out of Service Manual. Of course this book is for commercial Vehicle's. So it may not apply to regular car's or truck's. :confused:

Whoops for got the coode 396.3(a)(1). For some reason it dosent say welds on the website only in the OOS manual.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I ran bias ply tires with Rockstomper beadlocks (diy) on the road for about a year. Once the bias tires warmed up and the flat spots smoothed out, it would ride down the highway as smooth as if it had normal balanced wheels on it. And get this... I never balanced my beadlocks. Maybe I was lucky?

I wouldn't run a beadlock with less than 30 bolts for stress and leakage problems, but I would definately run beadlocks on the road.

I guess it's one of those things where you have to try it before you cry about it.

I'd even run full-hydro on a street driven rig... as long as it is setup right. I hear people bashing for even thinking about it. They probably had an experience where the hydro setup wasn't properly done and the rig was probably squirrly and unresponsive. I drove my buggy down the highway ~65 mph and it drove smoother than most stock vehicles I've been in. Again, maybe it's just luck. :p