Best DD and Occasional tow rig???

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Ok I know a diesel is the king as far as it comes to towing but is it worth the expense if I only tow a built CJ? I like the new body Dodge 2500s and one with a Hemi will pull more then enough. So is it worth it or should I save up and get a CTD?

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
My brother has a 2500 HD, so it has the solid front axle, with a Hemi. He pulls a 28' boat with 6 adults in the cab regularly. His is on 35's and he has done chip, intake, and exhaust. He gets on average 14 MPG. I think the Hemi would be fine.

cambam

I Agree that a gas smotor would be fine. I drive an 03 PSD and for The 5 or 6 times a year I trailer my CJ a hemi would be more than enough. however, one thing that you should consider is the re sale value. A cummins may cost you more up front, but when you sell it you should re coup most if not all of that expence. For example, an 05 ctd may cost you $30 K with 10,000 miles, but will sell for $16-$18K with 130-150K miles, where as an 05 hemi may cost you $22-$23 K with the same milage, but with 130-150k miles it is only worth about $8 grand, so at the end of the day, you spent the same ammount of cash to drive it. just something to consider:) :)

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
All I drive is Dodges and Fords, but I'm still a bow-tie guy at heart. For towing, nothing will beat the Cummins. But, as a commuter, they leave a lot to be desired. If you're looking at gassers, ignore the "Hemi-hype". A 350 is still a 350. GM has a good tuggin gasser, but the mileage sucks and they're pricey. I hate Fords, but drive a V-10. 12mpg city, and pulls decent. Comfortable cab, and no issues so far. The Ford V-10 is VERY high reving. If you're looking used, you'll have to look for 4.30 gears. If it's got the 3.73, run away fast.

Jay5.9L said:
Ok I know a diesel is the king as far as it comes to towing but is it worth the expense if I only tow a built CJ? I like the new body Dodge 2500s and one with a Hemi will pull more then enough. So is it worth it or should I save up and get a CTD?

Meat_

Banned
Menlove is having a 0% for 60 months sale right now......... That's more than enough savings to get the Cummins ;)

Jay5.9L

I wish I could afford a new truck but I'm looking for something slightly used. even with 0% APR yout still paying for a 30-40K truck.

Meat_ said:
Menlove is having a 0% for 60 months sale right now......... That's more than enough savings to get the Cummins ;)

Jay5.9L

I think I'm going to get gas errrrr I mean a gas engine. Damn those CTDs keep their resale value.

Aint S: any details about your brother's mods?

Thanks,
Jason
AINT SKEERED said:
My brother has a 2500 HD, so it has the solid front axle, with a Hemi. He pulls a 28' boat with 6 adults in the cab regularly. His is on 35's and he has done chip, intake, and exhaust. He gets on average 14 MPG. I think the Hemi would be fine.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
Jay5.9L said:
I think I'm going to get gas errrrr I mean a gas engine. Damn those CTDs keep their resale value.

Aint S: any details about your brother's mods?

Thanks,
Jason

Power Wise: K and N drop in filter, Superchips programmer ( thought it was Hypertech but I was wrong), Gibson Super Truck exhaust.
Lift Wise: 4" Superlift in the front 3" blocks in the back. 35x1250x17 Dick Cepek Radials.

Thing feels like it's got 400 horse power. Personally I can't understand why he picked the Dodge, but to each there own.

A couple months ago a valve spring broke and screwed everything up, he basically got a brand new motor under warranty.

I am not endorsing this truck. If I were to suggest anything it would be a Chevy 2500 with the 6 liter.

Need anything else let me know.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Jay5.9L said:
I wish I could afford a new truck but I'm looking for something slightly used. even with 0% APR yout still paying for a 30-40K truck.

Go old school, I just bought a 93 dodge ctd club cab, 24+mpg city 15-19 towing

ohh yeah $4900 bucks only 160k.

Pulls just as well as these new ones, my dad borrowed it to go down to moab, his neighbor has an '05 pulling a landcrusier, he was pulling a full size blazer with mine.
Had no problem keeping up.

chadr

Hemi

I have a Hemi Ram 2500 and love it. 345 hp off the showroom floor is about unheard of unless you are in a corvette. Install a K&N, Exhaust and Superships tuner and you are on your way past 400 horsepower.

I average 13-14 mph in town and 16 on the highway, but I have not lifted it or added larger tires. I think that it should pull the CJ very easily.

I went up to Kellog Idaho and bought it. Without the extras that I had installed, I only paid 26,500 before tax and license. I saved about $6000 over what a CTD would have run me.

If you were pulling large trailers and heavy equipment, there is nothing better than a CTD, but if you are pulling a light trailer with a Jeep, you will have no problems other than MPG loss.

Jay5.9L

That's not bad. I'm pulling about the same with my Grand.

How is it towing and at what milage?

chadr said:
I have a Hemi Ram 2500 and love it. 345 hp off the showroom floor is about unheard of unless you are in a corvette. Install a K&N, Exhaust and Superships tuner and you are on your way past 400 horsepower.

I average 13-14 mph in town and 16 on the highway, but I have not lifted it or added larger tires. I think that it should pull the CJ very easily.

I went up to Kellog Idaho and bought it. Without the extras that I had installed, I only paid 26,500 before tax and license. I saved about $6000 over what a CTD would have run me.

If you were pulling large trailers and heavy equipment, there is nothing better than a CTD, but if you are pulling a light trailer with a Jeep, you will have no problems other than MPG loss.

AINT SKEERED

Balls to the Walls
Another heads up, I talked to my brother on Easter. He said that the brand new motor that was just installed less then 10,000 miles ago is already acting up. The check engine light came on, he checked it with his reader and it said that the crank and cam shaft were misaligned. The trucks pretty much undriveable, and hes going back to Chevy for his next truck.

I'm not trying to rag on Dodge, but I wouldnt buy a truck from them unless it had a Cummins.

chadr

Jay5.9L said:
That's not bad. I'm pulling about the same with my Grand.

How is it towing and at what milage?

Plenty of power towing on flat ground, lacks a bit on the hills though. It has a tow/haul function on it that helps keep the shifting in and out of overdrive which is nice. The truck tows great due to being a 3/4 ton.

Milage drops like expected. I average 11-12 with 4 wheelers on a flat trailer. I still have yet to tow my toy hauler with wheelers in it since I just got it last week. That will be the real test.

1993yj

To and from Moab trailering my Jeep with my Hemi Dodge 2500, I averaged about 10. Power was great, but I also have a K&N cold intake, Aero Turbine muffler, and a Hypertech programmer. Programmer hadnt been installed though for the trip, just did that yesterday. Wish I would have done it because the shifting is so much better with it.

Mine is an 03, and I got it back in Sept for just under 21. Had to go to Texas for it, but truck was in better condition for less money than anything I could find around here. For a DD any truck is going to be expensive in gas, but a diesel really only is worth it in my opinion if you are towing a lot.