BHR custom FJ40 w/ Hi-9's build-up...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It is very interesting how there is so much support for time mismanagement on this forum. It is no wonder that it is so acceptable to take as much time as a shops wants to finish a project. :ugh: I did not take this to my buddys garage to have some work done in his spare time, I took it to a very good, professional shop that does outstanding work. There should be some accountability to time management for the kind of money spent. There certainly is in all other aspects of business.

How about the factor of letting a project sit for 2-4 weeks while doing nothing on it and then not answer e-mails or phone calls to let the customer know why or respond at all until after it has been worked on? Is this normal behavior and all part of "specialized fabrication skills"? Is that 2-4 weeks just time to get ideas together etc????

Don't give me this crap that the delay was waiting for parts to come in or it was a change in plans or whatever. That is a bogus defense and one that is easy to tell someone over the phone. Nothing that is done to that truck is different from what we talked about and planned 4/2008 when it was dropped off. I, as the customer did not make the deadline in the contract of 10/2008 to have the project finished and ready for paint. They received the engine, transmission, t-case, seats, body and all new parts for the body at the start of this. Everything else was fabbed by them. They only had to order axles, suspension and steering components. The receipt of these items was not the issue in why it took so long.

I was not going to respond to all the excuses thrown around, but it is pathetic to defend something that is a bad business practice. I run a business and this is not how you make a customer happy and/or keep them coming back/referring people :-\.........

They did great work, I will be happy to finally receive the vehicle back and I suppose that they will be equally happy to be rid of it.

I think people are just trying to make you feel better about waiting for your rig--obviously that didn't work, it just brought your feelings to the surface.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Also, not to keep stirring the pot, but this is one of those things that you probably would rather not have a shop hurry through for the sake of meeting a deadline.

It's like a surgery (except it's a one of a kind procedure, and 9 months long), you probably would prefer the doc to take his time and make sure all the details are thought out and accounted for prior to sending the patient (or rig) out the door.

I'm sure it's excruciatingly frustrating to wait, but it'll all be worth it in the end. Hope to see it on the trails!

wizziecutter

Also, not to keep stirring the pot, but this is one of those things that you probably would rather not have a shop hurry through for the sake of meeting a deadline.

It's like a surgery (except it's a one of a kind procedure, and 9 months long), you probably would prefer the doc to take his time and make sure all the details are thought out and accounted for prior to sending the patient (or rig) out the door.

I'm sure it's excruciatingly frustrating to wait, but it'll all be worth it in the end. Hope to see it on the trails!

Well, they did not hurry and they did a great job, But really it is more like the surgeon is sitting in the OR doctors lounge eating donuts while you lay in pre-op in you nothin's under a sheet for 2 days, then he comes out and says, sorry for the wait and you sit for another 2 days while he has some more donuts. There is nothing more you can do but sit and wait until he is ready to go. The control is in his hands. You could walk out, but he does the best work around....So.... you wait.......Does that make you happy? Nope, not one bit. Will you be happy once it is over? Sure....

This lecturing me about this needs to end so I will say this:

"I AM SO HAPPY THAT IT HAS TAKEN THIS LONG... I KIND OF WISH IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN LONGER SO THAT I COULD BE ASSURED THAT IT WAS PERFECT AND THAT IT WAS RUNNING WELL. THANKS BHR, JACK AND EVERYONE ELSE INVOLVED. IT LOOKS REALLY NICE AND I AM VERY HAPPY THAT I SHOULD BE ABLE TO PICK IT REALLY SOON. I WILL TAKE IT CRASH IT ROLL IT AND YOU ALL CAN SIT IN THE CORNER AND ROCK BACK AND FORTH WHILE I HAVE FUN.......IT SHOULD BE A VERY CAPABLE MACHINE AND WORTH ALL THE HEADACHE OF A COMPLETE BUILD.....:D (SEE I AM SMILING)" :greg: NOW SMILING WITH A HAT ON.....

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
lol, who is lecturing you? We all understand your frustration and are being sympathetic. If you would rather not have sympathizers who have lots of experiences in the industry, then don’t post your frustrations here.

But if you want a lecture, I have one for ya.

I used to work in a shop, and nothing struck me quite as fantastically short sited as a customer that would come in and complain or have a bad attitude towards me WHILE I was still working on their vehicle. That's like going into a restaurant, walking straight back to the kitchen and then lecturing the chef about how to do his job, run his business, and wipe his ass. You know, just to make sure he knows what your expectations are of him as your selected food preparer. Now go order your meal.

I bet those mashed potato’s are GOOOOOOOOOOD! Yum yum.

There’s your lecture :greg:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Well, they did not hurry and they did a great job, But really it is more like the surgeon is sitting in the OR doctors lounge eating donuts while you lay in pre-op in you nothin's under a sheet for 2 days, then he comes out and says, sorry for the wait and you sit for another 2 days while he has some more donuts. There is nothing more you can do but sit and wait until he is ready to go. The control is in his hands. You could walk out, but he does the best work around....So.... you wait.......Does that make you happy? Nope, not one bit. Will you be happy once it is over? Sure....

Wow, that sounds like every hospital I've ever been to. :eek::eek::eek::ugh::ugh:

chadschoon

This lecturing me about this needs to end so I will say this:

"I AM SO HAPPY THAT IT HAS TAKEN THIS LONG... I KIND OF WISH IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN LONGER SO THAT I COULD BE ASSURED THAT IT WAS PERFECT AND THAT IT WAS RUNNING WELL. THANKS BHR, JACK AND EVERYONE ELSE INVOLVED. IT LOOKS REALLY NICE AND I AM VERY HAPPY THAT I SHOULD BE ABLE TO PICK IT REALLY SOON. I WILL TAKE IT CRASH IT ROLL IT AND YOU ALL CAN SIT IN THE CORNER AND ROCK BACK AND FORTH WHILE I HAVE FUN.......IT SHOULD BE A VERY CAPABLE MACHINE AND WORTH ALL THE HEADACHE OF A COMPLETE BUILD.....:D (SEE I AM SMILING)" :greg: NOW SMILING WITH A HAT ON.....

thats the spirit :cody::D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Wow, that sounds like every hospital I've ever been to. :eek::eek::eek::ugh::ugh:

Ya, no joke right? I had a friend who almost died after a lung collapsed and the dr on duty didn't want to do anything until the 'regular' dr came in the morning--she only made it half way til morning before it went critical.

You know what? I have another lecture now that I think about it. You obviously can afford to drop some serious coin on a seriously cool toy, and you have some time coming up to enjoy it. You know, life could be worse. Be thankful for what you have, and stop bitching about the things you can't control.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
You know what? I have another lecture now that I think about it. You obviously can afford to drop some serious coin on a seriously cool toy, and you have some time coming up to enjoy it. You know, life could be worse. Be thankful for what you have, and stop bitching about the things you can't control.

well said.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Your cruiser is definately worth the wait, waaaay sweet.. that said Im not sure how you could stand to spend that kind of coin, and then just wait months for it. even if it was done in the original time frame agreed apon it would make me crazy waiting for something so sweet. wheelers case of blue balls if you will, pardon the expression..

I dont have that kind of patience, Id love that kind of detail to the rig I am building, but will settle for a little less bling factor cause im already wanting to be out there draggin the belly. I think I can understand your wanting it done earlier.

JackKeslerCustoms

This is going to work out just fine. Luke is a good guy, and has not said anything out of line. I think anyone sitting in that position would be getting impatient about now. Yes, he is fortunate to be able to build that kind of toy. He also has been the kind of customer that is willing to pay immediately or up front if neeeded, which as a business owner, is much appreciated. Ben and I really do appreciate the support from this thread, we both have a lot of good customers here. But the bottom line is this, we are down to the last couple of details on a HUGE job. We go through this on almost every major collision job that we do that requires us to keep the customers vehicle for an extended period of time. Before it can be delivered it needs to be checked out by a dozen different people, to insure that it's ready. It's not easy being the one waiting for it, or the one answering the phone to have to tell the customer the same progress report you had yesterday. But it is what you do when you are in this business.

Luke, we appreciate your business.

RME, we appreciate your support.

After the EJS showing in Moab, when things might calm down a little, I'd like to sit down and write more details about my involvement in this project. I am thrilled with how the finished product is coming out, and very few people realize the details that went into it. When it's said and done, Luke wanted to build a rig that could get his family where they wanted to go, safely, reliably, and comfortably. And he definately has done that.

Meat_

Banned
...very few people realize the details that went into it. When it's said and done, Luke wanted to build a rig that could get his family where they wanted to go, safely, reliably, and comfortably. And he definately has done that.

It's essentially an FJ built from scratch out of one off parts.

Oh and I saw it at the DATC show today.... very :cool:.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
That paint is magic. Very subtle pearl that looks awesome in the sun.

edit: Pearl is maybe not the word I'm looking for..there's none of that rainbowy-pearl that you usually see, just a sweet rich sparkle in the light.

Last edited: