Big mans hauler

Chevycrew

Fully loaded these trucks will get 5-6 mpg, so Id guess around 8-10 empty. But Id like to know how that little c-12 does.

'03_RUBI

Fully loaded these trucks will get 5-6 mpg, so Id guess around 8-10 empty. But Id like to know how that little c-12 does.

I was thinking that was an odd combination. I don't think I have ever seen a C12 in a Century, but if you Consider a Detroit Series 60 that I am used to seeing in them is only 12.7 liters I guess it's not too weird after all..

My tiny cummins 11 liter in a century will do 13.5 mpg empty, 11.5 with 10k lb load on the bed, and 7.5 with a light 30k lb trailer on back. These are all at 65 mph that the gearing is set up for. Drop another 1 mpg for 70 mph and all bets are off at 75+.

I would imagine the c12 is almost that good. A lot depends on the driver. Dump a little testosterone in your driving style and it's pretty easy to flush the fuel down.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I only registered it for 26k lbs. The whole thing was stupid cheap. It is registered as a Motor Home.

For ramps, I use 12" c-channel. They are crazy heavy and I don't really like them, but I got a good deal on them and they make this all possible.

Ya! Cool ramps! Those suckers weigh a million pounds.

This rig is slick I can't believe how big it is!

littlyota

I probably shouldn't ask, but MPG?

Actually not to bad. I average between 8-9 miles per gallon. Considering what the vehicle is capable of, I am not concerned about the MPG's. My Superduty gets around 12ish towing, sometimes worse.

Maintenance cost are not to bad. I will never drive it enough to really stress it. I figure an oil change every year and tires every 5 or so years. They will rot before I wear them out.

Now when something breaks, that is another story. It will hurt your feelings.

NYCEGUY01

Actually not to bad. I average between 8-9 miles per gallon. Considering what the vehicle is capable of, I am not concerned about the MPG's. My Superduty gets around 12ish towing, sometimes worse.

Maintenance cost are not to bad. I will never drive it enough to really stress it. I figure an oil change every year and tires every 5 or so years. They will rot before I wear them out.

Now when something breaks, that is another story. It will hurt your feelings.

LOL

My 2500HD with the 8.1 and a 6 speed gets 8.5... Empty or loaded it doesn't matter.... It may just be the way I drive, but still....

AaronPaige

I have really been wanting to do this to a Duce or five ton military truck, mostly for recovery purposes but I get hung up on the legal part, has anyone put any thought in to this as far as how to go about legally driving one...

I've been legally driving a converted semi for 10+ years with a normal license. Utah has a specific exception for recreational/personal use. Other states should reciprocate, but that is a gray area. I've driven most of the western states multiple times with very few issues. The only hassle I got was once in Oregon. They did not detain me or issue any warning or anything, but the officer definitely didn't like it. After trying different options, I also recommend not stopping at weigh stations with a recreational rig. Utah has signs that tell RVs not to stop. Other states vary. Stopping generally raises more questions that nobody in charge knows the answer to.

YMMV. I am not a lawyer.

I was just thinking of all the family trips we have taken and funny things that have happened in the semi. On one trip to Southern California, we dropped the trailer at a truck stop and went to Disneyland with the kids, staying in one of the motels across the street.

One morning as my 4 boys were piling into the Freightliner, one of the neighbors at the motel said (in a friendly voice): "Don't you think you have carried that minivan concept a bit far?" We both had a chuckle. I told him I just have really heavy toys...