Bio-Diesel

Nate R

It's derby season!
Anybody running it?:confused: I haven't tried it yet but might try it today. Cardwells Distrubting on State Street in Midvale has B20 for 2.99 a gallon.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
nate13 said:
Anybody running it?:confused: I haven't tried it yet but might try it today. Cardwells Distrubting on State Street in Midvale has B20 for 2.99 a gallon.

Damm I just paid $3.29 at Miniture Market.
I have been running b20 for about 5 months.

78mitsu

It'll cost you extra fuel filters. there are still small particles in it. Just make sure you carry an extra and a wrench to get it off. - Trust me happened to me now we run regular diesel.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
78mitsu said:
It'll cost you extra fuel filters. there are still small particles in it. Just make sure you carry an extra and a wrench to get it off. - Trust me happened to me now we run regular diesel.

I doubt there's particles in the Bio, I bet it's particles from your tank. The Bio acts as a clensing agent and will break up old deposits in the tank.

I'd think that after a couple filter changes you'd be good to go.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
78mitsu said:

Nope, replaced it after the bio cleaned all the crap out of my line/tank, been on the same filter since about 3 weks after switching to b20....
Checked it twice now, cleaner than I expected.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I ran B100 for several months, and really liked the way it ran. I wouldn't recomend B100 in anything older than 94 without replacing fuel lines, but B20 should be fine. Bio goes through so much more testing than reg #2 so you know your getting quality stuff when you buy it. Just remember that it is a lubricant as well as a detergent, so it does wonders for injector pumps/injectors, but it cleans the crap out of the fuel lines, and tank, ect.... so pack an extra fuel filter, and keep it off paint :sick: or you'll loose the clear coat. I actually prefer B100 over reg #2/B20 ect..., but thats just a personal opinion :greg:

53 willys

Bad speller
If you have a 03-07 Cummins then you should not run anything over B50. If you do the fuel filter will become clogged because the HPCR diesel creates such high pressures that it polymerizes (SP?) the vegetable oil and it becomes stringy and clogs the filter.

1st and 2nd gen truck you can run B100 with no problems until about 40 degrees then it gels up, in the winter run B50.

BTW in the 03-06 cummins manual it says B5 is most you should run, but there has been a ton of people on the diesel forums running B20 from day one.

Nate R

It's derby season!
Well I filled up with the B20 made a trip to Yuba Lake. The truck runs great and got a little over 15 mph towing the boat. Cardwells does have bio-diesel for 2.99 but that is B100. On the pump they have B100 $2.99, B50 3.35, B20 3.45, and plain ol' diesel 3.50.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Rot Box said:
B20+ with IDI or DI = :D .....B20+ with Common Rail = :sick: . :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So I have a 85 6.9L IDI Can I run B20? What can I run?

I don't have to change anything on the truck at all? Just carry a spare fule filter?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Kris K said:
So I have a 85 6.9L IDI Can I run B20? What can I run?

I don't have to change anything on the truck at all? Just carry a spare fule filter?

In 94' the US went to low sulfur diesel, and with that came different engine requirements (mostly updated emissions) one of the things that was changed were the fuel lines. Prior to 94' (give or take) diesel pickups, cars, vans ect... used fuel lines with a high rubber content, and bio diesel has been known to eat or deteriorate them over time. I've heard a million different stories, but most "experts" say a blend like B20 or lower has very little effect on them :confused: . If a possible leaky fuel line in the future is too much to risk than you can swap your factory ones for a set of Viton lines that are Bio-proof. As far as your fuel filter goes all you have to do is change it after your first or second tankfull (mabey once more after that just to be on the safe side), and you should be back to your normal filter change schedule.

Other cons- Poor cold weather performance, and basically flushing the crap (if any?)out of your tank into your fuel filter.

FYI I have an IDI Chevrolet pickup, and like I said have ran B100 for months on end. I really like the way my truck behaved while using it. I feel like the Bio diesel really gave my fuel system the lubricating effect that it needs, and was designed for aposed to low sulfur #2. I think that the decision to start using ultra low sulfer in the US is going to be a big problem for people like us if it becomes the domonant source of fuel :sick:, and Bio might become more popular than it already is. Just some thoughts ;).

53 willys

Bad speller
up to B50 with a common rail diesel=:D anything over B50=:sick:

you can run B50 in a common rail and have no problems, but if you go over
B50 it may clog your fuel filter.