Blaster in Utah County?

airmanwilliams

Who would you guys recommend I go to here in Utah County? I have a bit of galvanizing still in this tank I am using for my smoker and although it was blasted before up at Armor I need to get it blasted again. It has been suggested I find someone that has a copper they blast with or beads maybe. I just dont want to scrap the trailer and redo all of it and this tank is the perfect size and dont want to change it.

Attachments

• 13265925_10157017823880193_9094938979872097770_n.jpg
    13265925_10157017823880193_9094938979872097770_n.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 13238904_10157017823775193_8921881639487728366_n.jpg
    13238904_10157017823775193_8921881639487728366_n.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 18

airmanwilliams

Anything you buy locally, like Home Depot, won't need anything more than gloves or safety goggles if you're really worried. The concentration of acid and water puts at irritant level, not corrosive. So you're safe.

Cool thank you. We used it in Woods Cross to scrub paint off concrete at our apartment but have heard putting it on the galvanizing may create a smoke.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
The byproduct of Zinc (galvanized coating) and dilute HCl (muriatic acid) is hydrogen. The biggest issue is HCl mist from the bubbling, so use a fan to get lots of ventilation and wear goggles to guard against splash and mist.
(I was the one who suggested it earlier in the thread)

rholbrook

I have the good stuff if you want to trade for some led lights for my jeep and or f150. My boat trailer was aluminum so would acid wash it with the real stuff. I sold the boat last fall and still have probably a gallon of it left. You will need to be protected and probably dilute it

airmanwilliams

I have the good stuff if you want to trade for some led lights for my jeep and or f150. My boat trailer was aluminum so would acid wash it with the real stuff. I sold the boat last fall and still have probably a gallon of it left. You will need to be protected and probably dilute it

Possibly. Where are you located again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airmanwilliams

Thanks guys. I ended up taking it to IPA Sandblasting last week and they said they were able to get it all off. I don't know much about blasting but the first time it was blasted it got some areas down to bare metal and this time it looks almost primered.

sixstringsteve

it may look primered, but that's raw metal. It's really thirsty, so I'd primer it soon. It's going to accept a TON of paint.

airmanwilliams

Thanks. I shot the tongue and axle with paint right away but need to get it up to Heber in the next couple days to get finished then I'll paint it.

Still wondering what colors to go with on everything. I was thinking a black chimney, red main tank, black fire box and not sure on the diamond plate deck but now I'm not sure on the colora

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Muriatic acid vapors are absolutely NOT safe to breathe. If you even mildly inhale them you will be completely incapacitated for a minute, we're talking absolutely uncontrollable coughing and hacking until you get to some fresh air. You can literally pour the stuff on your hands but it violently attacks sensitive organic materials like your mucus membranes and lungs. (and tools... the vapors that come off the acid will precipitate down in the surrounding area and will etch the finish off your chrome vanadium tools and cause them to rust, seriously).

I would still recommend muriatic acid, it corrodes zinc coating in like under a minute. It gets into the crevices that blasting can't (creck if the blasting missed anything). You don't need anything fancy, just apply several times with a spray bottle over the course of 10 minutes until it stops reacting then thoroughly rinse it off (wash with dish soap even) then quickly dry it so it doesn't flash rust.

Last edited: