Box Rocket Trailer

Box Rocket

bored
I know several of you have offroad trailers but I thought I'd share a bit about mine. I built this one from scratch back in 2008. It has just been a basic trailer, nothing fancy like onboard water, or a generator etc. but it's worked great. In the past I've borrowed on old Mombasa RTT from a friend a few times. It's worked out well, but I can't borrow a tent forever so I finally got one of my own last week.

First off, a basic description. Trailer frame is 4x6' built from 2.5" square tube. The tub is welded to the frame. I had Henderson Wheel in SLC custom build the 3500# axle with a Toyota bolt pattern and track width to match my cruiser. I'm using a Lock-n-Roll Coupler. Using run-o-the-mill trailer leaf springs. It's been on 33's then 35's and is now back on 33's. HF tongue jack with NPS caster bolted on. Standard 10" wide trailer fenders with CJ7 flares. Lights are repurposed magnetic towing lights. I liked the magnetic lights because I could pull them off on tough trails so they didn't get damaged. With the new mods they are more protected and should ever need to come off.

Couple older pics to start.
Building it

fresh rattle can paint

First trip

Was setup like this for a long time. 35's. Tent mounted to Thule bars

Last edited:

Box Rocket

bored
Just finished a round of mods that included:

33x10.50s (take offs from my Tacoma) mounted on some '90s era factory Toyota Alloys painted black.
Bed lined fenders
new RTT (Tepui Autana)
New telescoping rack for RTT
new side steps
relocated water cans
swingout spare tire

just finished these up yesterday so here's the current setup.

Tire swing out is latched with a simple hitch pin

Hinges are greasable ones I got from Northern Tool

Box Rocket

bored
Telescoping rack is built from 1.5" square "recievers" on the sides of the tub with 1.25" legs that slide into the receivers. Platform is 1x2" rectangular tube. Each receiver tube has a spring loaded pop pin and there is a 50lb gas strut at each corner to aid in lifting the tent/rack.

Some handles on the platform help pull it back down.

Pull the 4 pop pins and up it goes. This allows for a low setting for towing and a higher setting for camping which allows me to utilize the full height of the annex that came with the tent.

Now I've got a decent sleeping arrangement for the whole family. My wife and I in the tent and our 4 kids below in the annex.
Maybe some of these things will give ideas to anyone else here with trailers.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Curious...how do your kids fit in the annex? I mean where do they sleep? Tarp on the ground and sleeping bags, or something similar?

Box Rocket

bored
Curious...how do your kids fit in the annex? I mean where do they sleep? Tarp on the ground and sleeping bags, or something similar?

The annex has a floor (can also be removed) so no tarp needed. There is enough room for a queen size air mattress between the ladder and the trailer and still room on on the side closer to the door. So, either air mattress or cots but in sleeping bags.