Braking issues!!

BEHERSKE

Give it to me strait.
So I am sure that most everyone on here is familiar with braking issues. I hope that someone can help me resolve mine. I am running 35" tires with stock calipers on my TJ. So of course i have a problem stopping correctly, the steering random pulls from one side the other and I just can't stop fast enough sometimes, thats just on the road. Out wheelin I just can't completely stop period. The gears want to just push through. I have heard of a couple different things to do, the one I know most about is a vanco brake kit that changes out your stock caliper to a dual piston caliper and a bigger rotor the biggest that can fit a 15" wheel but this kit costs like $800. So I am hesitant cause of the price. I have also heard of doing a hydro boost of some kind that people have done on CJ7's i don't know much more than that. Bottom line is I would like my stopping power back but without having to pay more than I need to. I am also going to be adding a 4:1 ratio to my transfer case so I really need a good solution. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read and input.

Last edited:

BEHERSKE

Give it to me strait.
Yes I do. Thanks for bringing it up that is a good important detail i guess. Anyone got any ideas yet? please.

BEHERSKE

Give it to me strait.
I have done this numerous times I thought that was the problems as well but, problem still remains. Thank you for the suggestion.

moabrangler

Brakes

Pulling to one side or the other might be tire air pressure. I run a auto, an a 4:2.1 TC,with 4:88 gears,mine just likes to keep going when stoped, in LOW Range.(I think its do the ratio that I have) I do have stock calip on the front an the Tera Flex disk brake assy on the rear. No problems stoping, I like the rear Disk Brake assy.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I had this issue, kind of, with my Rubicon before I did 1 tons. My rig is a stick, so I could simply push the clutch in, but I still couldn't stop if I had to.

The wandering could be loose suspension components, so give that a look. Ball joints, wheel bearings, etc and also alignment - caster and toe in specifically.

As for the better braking not much you can do... Hydroboost will definately help/cure your problem but it's $'s. The other option is to go 1 ton's and have the bigger brakes - this is probably my most favorite part of my 1 ton upgrade. The brakes are awesome! I can lock up 39's on dry pavement from over 40 mph - very nice!!

RockChucker

i used to have a rear dana 35 with drum brakes in my tj. the braking was ok with my 33's. i swapped in an 8.8 with disc brakes, and they made a world of a difference in stopping. you could get the disc brakes off a rear axle from a zj and put them on your jeep. i'm not exactly sure how this works or if it is from the d35 or d44 zj axle, but i'm sure a little searching, or chiming in from individuals that know would help. good luck.

jdub

Scrambler
I also can lock up my 4 courners on demand with big chevy disks. Major plus for off road too, when you just have to stop. Pretty impressive with a manual 50's brake master cylinder!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I also can lock up my 4 courners on demand with big chevy disks. Major plus for off road too, when you just have to stop. Pretty impressive with a manual 50's brake master cylinder!

I'm not sure how you would get the GM brakes on the front axle... The rear axle would be fairly easy, just like any other disc brake swap. The front axle you would have to come up with something on the knuckle? A mount that goes between the knuckle and the wheel bearing probably wouldn't work - nothing for side loads. The bearing fits in a boss and that's what holds the weight of the rig, not the bolts.

Maybe a CJD30 inner knuckle out might serve you well.... Or just swap in a D44 might be the better way....

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Double check that you are getting proper vacume to your Brake booster... you could have a vacume leak somewhere that is also affecting your brake power...

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
For a cheaper solution you can always upgrade you brake pads to something like
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/greenstuffinfo.html

and then your rotors if you can swing them. Also if you can't do it yourself get some one to inspect everything to make sure they are properly adjusted, beld, etc.

In the long term your TJ system is not really up to the task your asking and a major component upgrade is in order.

My CJ's brakes were toast and I got Vanco's vaccume replacement. BY FAR BETTER THAN STOCK! Having said that I sill can push though them in reverse (4.0L, auto, 4:1, 4.56s, abnd 35"s). I may go hydroboost later. Good luck and remember the brakes are the most important system you got so don't cut any corners.

BEHERSKE

Give it to me strait.
I really appreciate the info guys.

QUOTE]Good luck and remember the brakes are the most important system you got so don't cut any corners.[/QUOTE]

I agree on the no cutting corners but i just don't have alot of money to put in them right now so i am hopeing to stumble on the something i can afford to do.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
a good set of pads are probably the cheapest way to improve it assuming everything is working correctly. good luck!