Breaking news....no more breaking!!! 60 CVs are here!!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Breaking new....no more breaking!!! 60 CVs are here!!

You guys thought alloys and CTMs were the cat's meow.....wow did I just use that....cat's meow...what was I thinking....

anyway....

Andy got a special delivery from his secret outpost in the midwest. These babies are frickin amazing...

60cvpolish.jpg

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
These are the new 35 spline Dana 60 CV shafts made from 300M. The CV and stub-shaft are machined from a 1-piece billet and polished to an amazing brilliance and capped with the dust cover.

60cv.jpg

for the rest of the pix and write up go to the homepage...

click on the picture in my sig...

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Those things look bada$$. I can't wait to see them in action. Andy, Speener says my Iroks are like 40.5" off the rim....Maybe that 60 your selling with a set of those are in my future!! Hook me up yo!! I think I found a way to get a little extra cash for the Commando!! BTW, Speener I want to see my Iroks with something next to them for scale. Something big, like you!!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Full wood over here in Magna!! :eek:

Is it true that with a cv the force in the joint is equal no matter what the steer angle? That is Bling if ever I saw it.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Greg said:
Birfields for a 60, huh? :eek: :rofl:

Looks neat, I'd like to see them in action. Sooooo... who makes 'em? How much?

for all intensive purposes....hollywood rock racing makes em.

and for now price is in the neighborhood of alloys and CTMs for a 60....

we had to do some polishing and slight clearencing on the inner Cs to make them fit perfect...these things are enormous!!

first order of business is destructive testing...stay tuned!!

Parker

spencurai said:
we had to do some polishing and slight clearencing on the inner Cs to make them fit perfect...these things are enormous!!

Spence... any pointers on install? How much material did you have to remove and how the hell did you get the shaft into the CV? Mine is being stubborn.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Parker said:
Spence... any pointers on install? How much material did you have to remove and how the hell did you get the shaft into the CV? Mine is being stubborn.

As far as material removal, we had to grind the inner C a bit, as it was interfering with the dust cover.

Getting the shaft into the CV is a little tough...Put some grease on the seals in the dust cap and throw the axle shaft into a vice. Throw the CV on top and work it down until it meets the splines. You can spin the CV until the splines line up, then use a dead blow to bring it home. The dust cap rests about 4 inches (+-)below the splines when fully seated. Hope this helps.

By the way, I am Brandon (wired the buggy), I met John when we all were up at Mt. Logan last week, but I don't think I we got introduced.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Hickey said:
Freeze your shaft in the freezer, and heat up the joint

I don't think these shafts would shrink too much, they are 300M and they have been cryoginaclly(sp?) treated...and there is really no way to heat the joint as the cap can't be removed.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Those are pretty damn cool... CV's do have many advantages vs. a U-Joint design... lack of binding being one of the biggest. I am very interested to see how well they hold up to the conditions (mud/water/trees)... I honestly think that strength wise they will be just fine...

What is the width of the bell? (just trying to visually compare to a 60 or 80 Toyota birf)

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
cruiseroutfit said:
Those are pretty damn cool... CV's do have many advantages vs. a U-Joint design... lack of binding being one of the biggest. I am very interested to see how well they hold up to the conditions (mud/water/trees)... I honestly think that strength wise they will be just fine...

What is the width of the bell? (just trying to visually compare to a 60 or 80 Toyota birf)

the bell dust cover fills the inner C of the 60, the bell is maybe 3/4" narrower than the dust cover, Parker could probably give you an exact measurement, it doesn't sound like he has his all the way installed yet.

As far as who makes them, I am not sure...Ask Andy or Spence may know.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
parker is installing 2 sets in his rear stear buggy....with that fire breathing motor and parkers notorious heavy foot should give us some great rear steer testing!!

They are made by rockford.

Brandon has the install right...you just have to get the splines lined up and a lot of inner axle is inside the dust boot...probably 4+ inches like he said.

As for water and mud, at max angle, the dust boot runs out and you can see a small amount of the lip of the end of the CV....look closely in the pictures. I don't think this arrangement is meant for a lot of mud and water but the seal between the boot and the CV is extremely tight due to the high polish the CV has received...

If anyone wants to see these first hand, you are gonna have to set it up with andy or myself....drop us a pm and we will arrange something.