Buggy Build *Pics

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
When you're shopping for that, you can specify "recycled" UHMW rather than all-new. It's approximately 1/2 the cost, but it's only available in black. (you can get other colors in the all-new if you want that) The only downside of the recycled stuff is that it has little specks of other colors mixed in, which is not really visible at all once it's installed.

Makes a big difference though, when one is around $400 per 4x8 sheet and the other is closer to $200. :eek:

That is good info! :cool:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
yep I'm gonna skin the boatsides with UHMW I believe it's called. Which is that cutting board stuff

uh, yes, that will certainly help... but I meant the piston skirts LOL

Good tip from Carl though. The Carlificator, droppin' science. The CarlMarlboro Man, coolin' on the prairie!

yeah. Ok. :ugh:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Pretty custom unit, but I'm 95% (give or take) sure you should get those new 54" Boggers.....

And if the price seems too much just think you'll never have to buy that exact set of tires again! then it starts to sound like a pretty good deal... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RufftyTuffty

Don't wanna be negative...but why a YJ frame?

You know that was the weakest / thinest frame jeep ever main....the wall is about an 1/8" right?

~Mike

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK

You know that was the weakest / thinest frame jeep ever main....the wall is about an 1/8" right?

~Mike

It's what I could find around here. Plus we all know how nobody uses .120 wall when building cages, buggies, etc:rolleyes: I think it will be just fine. Plus I wheel a samurai now and other then one tear on a unsupported piece, it's been fine, and it's like paper thin

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Worked on it tonight, no new progress but after looking at it a couple days I figured it was a little tall at around 46 inches from the floor to the top of the tube. I cut it down tonight to 41 inches which gives it a much more balanced look and I still have 5 inches of head room:D

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic

~Mike

Do you have any sources or info on Jeep frame strengths? I'm really curious, because I have not heard that. YJ frames are fully boxed, and from what I understand are much stronger than earlier Jeep frames, most of which were only a c-channel. I could be wrong, but I bet 1/8" wall box section is stronger against most forces than 1/4" c-channel, and considerably lighter. Light + strong = cool. I would also say that nearly every buggy I've seen was built primarily of .120 wall tube. The UROC modified class requires (well, used to require) a rectanglar frame, and every buggyu that I know of (including mine) was built with .120 wall 2 x 4 rectangular tube.

The buggy is looking good. You have no idea how much work you have left to do. I once heard someone who's built more than one say something to the effect of "once you get the chassis all built, the hard work starts." Keep us updated! :)

Crinco

It's coming along. Don't try to bite off too much at one time or you will loose motivation. Baby steps (sorry). I had to set my goals to get one thing done at a time, and when I got that thing done I felt like I was getting somewhere.
If you try to do it all at one time, it will seem to take forever. JMHO
CR

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Do you have any sources or info on Jeep frame strengths? I'm really curious, because I have not heard that. YJ frames are fully boxed, and from what I understand are much stronger than earlier Jeep frames, most of which were only a c-channel. I could be wrong, but I bet 1/8" wall box section is stronger against most forces than 1/4" c-channel, and considerably lighter. Light + strong = cool. I would also say that nearly every buggy I've seen was built primarily of .120 wall tube. The UROC modified class requires (well, used to require) a rectanglar frame, and every buggyu that I know of (including mine) was built with .120 wall 2 x 4 rectangular tube.

The buggy is looking good. You have no idea how much work you have left to do. I once heard someone who's built more than one say something to the effect of "once you get the chassis all built, the hard work starts." Keep us updated! :)

Thats what I'm taking about on frame strength, you can't tell me a c channel cj frame that are known for cracking etc is better. Plus like you and I said lots of chassis are made with 1/8 inch wall tubing, I'm sure most of his is! But yeah it's coming along, and yes I do know that it's gonna take a while especially suspension, but any progress is good progress I guess. I'll keep it updated.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Like I had said earlier, cut down the cage 5.5 inches, no probelms, and did the windshield supports, not sure if I'll do anything this long weekend, might be time for a quick break to plan ahead. Here a couple pics, I slid a scrap piece of tube on, so you could get an idea of what the rear might look like.

Attachments

• buggy build 022.jpg
    buggy build 022.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 76
  • buggy build 025.jpg
    buggy build 025.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 81

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Like I had said earlier, cut down the cage 5.5 inches, no probelms, and did the windshield supports, not sure if I'll do anything this long weekend, might be time for a quick break to plan ahead. Here a couple pics, I slid a scrap piece of tube on, so you could get an idea of what the rear might look like.

looks like a couple of tubes stacked on the floor :greg:

You have five months

Crinco

Your having a baby in May!:eek: :eek:
That's a tough schedule. Let me know if I can be of any help. I am not sure what I can do, but I love telling people no when they ask:ugh: :greg:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
update

I bought some corbeau seats, so I could finally get some placement on where every pillar should go. Here's some pics

Attachments

• buggy build 029.jpg
    buggy build 029.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 86
  • buggy build 030.jpg
    buggy build 030.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 61
  • buggy build 031.jpg
    buggy build 031.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 85
  • buggy build 033.jpg
    buggy build 033.jpg