build a trailer

cheapzuk

I am considering building a trailer but I am no engineer. My fab skills are good enough that I am confiden't about it. Does anybody have any links to plans for building a trailer or know a source.

Thanks

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Shawn said:
Search "trailer plans" on Ebay. They go for around $25.00.

I got a set for $16 from ebay. found a cheap trailer and put some big bubbas/Henderson's axles under it instead. The trailer is ugly as hell, but it is functional and I'm not worried about it falling apart.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
you might want to look into buying one new or used instead of building. i talked to a couple people that built there trailer and it doesn't end up being much cheaper.
i think it is worth it to lay out the cash. 1400 bucks for my trailer was not bad at all imo

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
xj_punk said:
you might want to look into buying one new or used instead of building. i talked to a couple people that built there trailer and it doesn't end up being much cheaper.
i think it is worth it to lay out the cash. 1400 bucks for my trailer was not bad at all imo
This is true, or can be any way. Keep in mind, the nice thing about building your trailer is that you can build it to fit your personal needs.

Caleb

Shawn said:
This is true, or can be any way. Keep in mind, the nice thing about building your trailer is that you can build it to fit your personal needs.

thats the main thing to think about...if you are picky and want some very specific things then do it yourself, otherwise its gonna be the same or cheaper to buy one and you wont have all the hours into it...

N-Smooth

Supergper said:
and you wont have all the hours into it...

this is something else i think is big. if you consider what your time is worth, you will be losing money by building one. i like to build stuff, but building a trailer would drag on imo.

Caleb

xj_punk said:
this is something else i think is big. if you consider what your time is worth, you will be losing money by building one. i like to build stuff, but building a trailer would drag on imo.

yeah, but you also have to consider my time costs me nothing...unless its taking time away from me being able to actually earn money (taking time off from work for the build)...

cheapzuk

I have never owned a trailer and have only borrowed one a couple of times. What kind of things should I look for in a trailer if I am looking to buy one. I need one that will tow a farm tractor (6k lbs).

N-Smooth

cheapzuk said:
I have never owned a trailer and have only borrowed one a couple of times. What kind of things should I look for in a trailer if I am looking to buy one. I need one that will tow a farm tractor (6k lbs).

oh i dunno, that is a big trailer. what width and length does the deck need to be? my deck is 16' x 80"
i am not sure what the weight rating is on my trailer but to step up a little bit in weight was a lot of $$$
i'll check it out tonight

cheapzuk said:

Ooohh, 6K tractor means probably bigger than a 7K trailer...most weigh 1500 to 2500 lbs...unless you find an aluminum job. Go for the 5K axles...well, weigh your tractor first to make sure, but you ought to aim at a 10k lb trailer. If you are gonna haul that much a lot, get brakes on both axles. What are you towing it with?

Quite a few on here have trailers (7K and 10K), just copy one. Wish I had a 20-25' 10K one from time to time.

I agree with buying over building unless you need something custom or have time to burn. I bought mine used for $1150, 7K, flatbed, 16' x 83" wide. Just look to make sure stuff isn't trashed (axles, brakes, jack, wiring, frame, deck, coupling.) most under $1000 were crap. I'm very happy with it.

Caleb

kirk86CJ said:
I would say at least 2-3500 lb axles, one with brakes, 14ft long (minimum) more than 72" between the fenders.

me personally, I would want stronger axles and wider between the fenders...mines 83" and I wish it were wider at times.

The axles, I would look at possibly two 5K axle, atleast one with brakes. The reason being is if you are rated for 7K lbs. and you know your tractor weighs 6K...that only leaves 1K for the weight of the trailer (most trailers weigh 1500 or more)...to me thats cutting it close. It would only be a matter of time before you end up replacing the axles for more HD ones. As XJ_punk said, the price to go from 7K to 10K is quite a bit but, as I have pointed out, worth it.

The next trailer I buy/build will be 83" between fenders, minimum 2-3500 lb. axles, and fenders that can be driven on (walking on fenders bends them pretty badly too:D). I would like the frame to be tube instead of channel or angle, a nice bulldog hitch, a nice HD Jack (similar to the semi style jacks), and ofcourse plenty of tie-downs all around the trailer. The down side is I just described probably close to a $5K trailer.

Caleb

Maverick said:
Ooohh, 6K tractor means probably bigger than a 7K trailer...most weigh 1500 to 2500 lbs...unless you find an aluminum job. Go for the 5K axles...well, weigh your tractor first to make sure, but you ought to aim at a 10k lb trailer. If you are gonna haul that much a lot, get brakes on both axles. What are you towing it with?

Quite a few on here have trailers (7K and 10K), just copy one. Wish I had a 20-25' 10K one from time to time.

I agree with buying over building unless you need something custom or have time to burn. I bought mine used for $1150, 7K, flatbed, 16' x 83" wide. Just look to make sure stuff isn't trashed (axles, brakes, jack, wiring, frame, deck, coupling.) most under $1000 were crap. I'm very happy with it.

:rofl: I replied as you were and we said basically the same thing:rofl:

cheapzuk

I am mainly going to tow the sami on it but my parents said I could only park it in the driveway if it could tow their tractor. They will probably only use it once or twice a year. I am going to be towing it with a bronco so I don't think I want anything bigger than a 16 ft. I was looking at maybe a 16ft 7k with brakes (preferably both axles) but it depends on what it costs.

Supergper said:
me personally, I would want stronger axles and wider between the fenders...mines 83" and I wish it were wider at times.

The axles, I would look at possibly two 5K axle, atleast one with brakes. The reason being is if you are rated for 7K lbs. and you know your tractor weighs 6K...that only leaves 1K for the weight of the trailer (most trailers weigh 1500 or more)...to me thats cutting it close. It would only be a matter of time before you end up replacing the axles for more HD ones. As XJ_punk said, the price to go from 7K to 10K is quite a bit but, as I have pointed out, worth it.

The next trailer I buy/build will be 83" between fenders, minimum 2-3500 lb. axles, and fenders that can be driven on (walking on fenders bends them pretty badly too:D). I would like the frame to be tube instead of channel or angle, a nice bulldog hitch, a nice HD Jack (similar to the semi style jacks), and ofcourse plenty of tie-downs all around the trailer. The down side is I just described probably close to a $5K trailer.

Hahaha, ya, I saw that. Maybe I'm really you :eek:

You are actually describing, to some degree, my trailer. 83" between fenders. Why tube instead of channel? My fenders are pretty tough (driven on) but yield to idiots driving cars into them. Jack isn't big semi type, but swivels up out of harms way, actually rarely gets used...I just keep it on a jack stand and lift it on and off the hitch. I've got stake pockets, but usually hook the straps on to the frame, works great. I've even hauled my burb on it twice in a pinch...after the first time I got higher rated tires in case I ever needed to do it again. That and the fact that I'd like to be able to haul 2 smaller rigs makes me want a different, bigger trailer, but will probably wait and get a gooseneck in a few years.

cheapzuk said:
I am mainly going to tow the sami on it but my parents said I could only park it in the driveway if it could tow their tractor. They will probably only use it once or twice a year. I am going to be towing it with a bronco so I don't think I want anything bigger than a 16 ft. I was looking at maybe a 16ft 7k with brakes (preferably both axles) but it depends on what it costs.

Hahaha, sounds like cheap rent.

If they are not going to tow it far, you'll probably be ok. I just wouldn't wanna spend much freeway time. Weigh the tractor. Dunno if I'd use the bronco to tow 7500+ lbs though, at least at highway speeds.

If you budget $1000-1500 and look around, you can get a good deal. Just a little more and you can buy new. I didn't have much luck with less than $1000, it would have cost way more to get them up to snuff (tires, jack, deck, axles, etc)

cheapzuk

Not towin the tractor with the bronco. I would be the one doing 5mph in 4low up parley caynon :rofl: But cheap rent works for me, I called lone peak trailers today and they want $1600 for a basic 16' that will carry 4500lbs and $2500 for a 16' that can carry 8000 lbs. What is the big differance, is it design or axles or both or something else?

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
cheapzuk said:
Not towin the tractor with the bronco. I would be the one doing 5mph in 4low up parley caynon :rofl: But cheap rent works for me, I called lone peak trailers today and they want $1600 for a basic 16' that will carry 4500lbs and $2500 for a 16' that can carry 8000 lbs. What is the big differance, is it design or axles or both or something else?

always buy(or build) in a safety factor. Make sure you know what that 4500# means. Is that the gross weight (load + trailer = 4500#) or net weight (load = 4500#). If the stated weight is the gross weight, the 4500# trailer isn't enough to haul your tractor (for that matter, if your tractor weighs 6000#, the 4500 isn't enough regardless).

Look closely at the two trailers. I would imagine that the 4500# trailer has smaller (less load capacity) tires, less strength in the materials (angle iron vs box or channel), lower axle capacity.

You definately want the trialer to have at least one set of brakes. Towing even a light rig like the sami isn't a good idea without something to help you slow that truck/trailer combination down.

You should really call bubbas. for about $1600, they were going to set me up with a 16' car hauler (twin 3500# axles, one set of brakes, ramps, etc). Sounded like a pretty good deal to me. This was about 2 years ago, and their prices might have changed a bit since then, but definately call around.

kirk86CJ

I don't know how much a tractor weighs, but can't you deduct the weight on the hitch when doing the math? Anyway, I agree with the overbuild talk, I'm just cheap.

If I had seen this trailer before building mine, I would have just bought this one. (If its as good as it looks)

Good deal IMHO.

Trailer ad in KSL