Ford Build Thread: FrED the Ford. '98 E350 7.3 4x4 The More We Explore's Adventure Van

sixstringsteve

I'll probably be looking for a '99-04 ball joint ford d60 soon, along with a 10.5 sterling.

My rear axle has drum brakes. I'd love a sterling 10.5 with discs

Last edited:

Caleb

Why are you looking to swap a 60 up front with another 60? Also, throw some discs on the rear 60 and call it good. Why swap either of the axles?

sixstringsteve

Good questions. The lift I want is compatible with a '99-04 ford front axle. I'll need to check to see if my current axles are compatible.

I didn't realize it was so easy to swap discs onto a D60. Thanks for the advice, I'm a total noob all over again.

Coco

Dang you Steve... I call first dibs when you sell it!!! :D

Really miss my 7.3L truck, your going to love it!!

Straight pipe (though loud) will keep the EGTs down, and help wake up the engine, (however if you are not towing, this may not be something you will need to do.) but any bigger exhaust to at least keep EGTs down, is still going to keep your engine happy.

Cold air intak will also help it to breathe. Also, (again probably more for towing, so you may not be needing it as much) but a small tune or chip is really a nice feature on a diesel. I am not talking a juice with attitude Rollin' Coal chip that all the kids with there trucks there dad bought for them do, a simple tune/chip will wake it up that much more and give you some extra power. My truck had a 60HP ECU plug-in chip, and it was great. Something along those lines for this type of rig would be perfect for you if you want to get that in-depth with power-adders.

(Side note: did you sell your 4Runner?)

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
A big noisy, stinky diesel is going to be a whole new world for you.

By this time next month Steve is going to have bleached spiky hair, a wifebeater, and a Monster energy drink tattoo, driving a Ford van with a twelve inch lift, 37 inch Nittos on 22 inch fake beadlocks and a pair of 12" stacks out the roof.

rustyjeep21

Sweet van you got it just in time for cheap diesel. Dream vehicle for me. We have a 97 7.3 CC and love it. We run a Banks down pipe, no cat, AEM cold air intake and an edge CS tuner with pyrometer. Seems to be a good combo with not much smoke.

Tonkaman

If you do decide to "chip" it go with a custom tuner not just Banks or Edge. I had Power Hungry Performance on my truck when it was stock. Tunes were good, no smoke, good shift points.

This is definitely the best advise for tuning the engine. I'm shocked that more people don't do custom tuning. The prices are really competitive and the results are incredible! Beyond power gains the more important and useful modifications are shifting points and line pressures, as well as an all new torque curve that keeps cylinder pressures from spiking and keeping smooth consistent power. All this equals better mileage, no smoke, smoother ride, lower EGTs, and less turbo lag.

As far as straight piping goes, I would never do it again. The 'drone' sound really starts to bug you when it's echoing off of the scenic canyon walls, or the thick grove of trees. It's just the opposite of peace and quiet.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I REALLY liked my 7.3L F250 with the BHAF, 4" exhaust and Edge with Attitude. I pretty much kept the Edge on level 2 or 3 but it was pretty nice as it had gauges built into it. For towing a travel trailer in your van, I think I'd get an intercooler from a 6.0L truck and make sure the exhaust and intake are free flowing. There's a decent argument for a custom tune above. A tune can be pretty addictive for the extra HP and torque.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I've heard that the diesel in the pumps now is different than it used to be 10 years ago. I've heard mention of additives that you put in your fuel tank. Should I be adding something to the diesel I put in my tank?

mbryson

Supporting Member
I've heard that the diesel in the pumps now is different than it used to be 10 years ago. I've heard mention of additives that you put in your fuel tank. Should I be adding something to the diesel I put in my tank?

You'll get a lot of different opinions on that. I ran no additives in my diesels ('99 and '96 7.3L Ford and '04 Cummins) in the 8-10 years I've run diesel engines and had no fuel related failures in any trucks. The petro companies and OEMs haven't recommended fuel additives for ULSD so I decided NOT to run them. It worked for me, but I just have gassers now.

sixstringsteve

The previous owner said to put stuff in to help the seals not dry out. Is there any merit to that? I'm all for simplicity, and if I don't have to add anything, even better.

mbryson

Supporting Member
The previous owner said to put stuff in to help the seals not dry out. Is there any merit to that? I'm all for simplicity, and if I don't have to add anything, even better.

Which seals? O-rings? Filter seal? I do believe in the religious changing of fuel filters in a deezel. I just changed mine out every spring and fall (when the fuel changed to winter blend or to summer blend) and had excellent luck. The fuel system in these dogs isn't cheap. I felt like the OEM and petro companies (not that either one of them wouldn't ever be self-serving) would have specified an additive for under warranty vehicles at the ULSD changeover (was that 2007 or '08?) if there was an issue. It was definitely in the OEM's best interest at the time to specify so I went with what they were saying vs the additive companies.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust

I think it all depends on the type of injection the engine uses. An older mechanical pump like mine benefits from the extra lube because the fuel actually lubricates the internals of the pump whereas the newer common rail stuff probably doesn't care either way. Not sure if it would benefit the HEUI (Hydraulic Electronic Unit Injection) on your engine. I would imagine so...

On that note I'd recommend anti-gel (I like Howes) and buying fuel from a reputable station or truck stop during the cold winter months. I can't believe jelled fuel is still a possibility in this day an age but I've seen it more than a few times.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
On that note I'd recommend anti-gel (I like Howes) and buying fuel from a reputable station or truck stop during the cold winter months. I can't believe jelled fuel is still a possibility in this day an age but I've seen it more than a few times.

I run Howes during the winter, never had an issue with jelling but I would rather not chance it. (I picked it up at Flying J). My VW has such a small tank a container lasts me over a year.
http://www.petroleumservicecompany....xpwMNTmkrgJajoqmeyN60VCxw7O8JKQi64aAjeI8P8HAQ

boogie_4wheel

+1 for Howe's additive. Kept mine running in -25*F in Colorado.

I just remembered something else on the PSD. There is a coolant additive to prevent the pitting of the sleeves. DCA if I remember correctly. You use test strips and add this stuff to keep it from eating away.

sixstringsteve

We're seeking sponsors for this build. The gear we get will depend on which sponsors are willing to support us.

It won't be a big build. It'll mainly be simple stuff. Once we get a travel trailer to tow behind it, we'll be able to move all our possessions into it and see what will end up in the trailer and what will end up in the van. I'm going to wait 'till that point before I do any big interior mods.

This is all a big wish list. Who knows what will actually come to fruition.

Exterior:
- I plan on about 800W of solar panels on the roof with a battery bank. It'd be great if the trailer could tap into these batteries too. I know nothing about solar or batteries, so I have a lot to learn.
- My wife likes the look of the vans with the big aluminess bumpers. I'm not sure we'll go that route, but it's a possibility. After hitting a deer in my tacoma, I quickly believed in the safety and cost savings of a big front bumper. Considering all the driving we'll be doing in Idaho, Colorado, Montana, Alaska and Canada, I think some sort of bumper for deer would be beneficial. Aluminum bumpers are spendy, but I like that they're lightweight.
- better lighting up front. The stock headlights aren't amazing. I'm thinking some rigid duallies, even though these aren't legal for driving on the road. I'd love some sort of legal driving/fog lights

Interior: Here's what I imagine it'll have inside. Light weight will be key, and I don't think I want anything to be permanent.
- better stereo with backup camera. I'd love some sort of option that would let me control my phone from the touch screen, since we use Google Maps and Trimble Navigator a lot.
- Black out panels for some of the windows (I'm thinking reflectix style so it an insulate too)
- Super bright interior LED lights, courtesy of Airman Williams.
- Interior bike rack to hold the 2 bikes (the whole reason we got a van in the 1st place)
- Mount and wiring for my ARB fridge
- Some sort of track on the floor. I like the aluminum track Adam has in his trailer and tacoma.
- Some sort of cool storage solution to hold a bunch of action packers. We need an organized way to store all our outdoors gear: tents, 4 sleeping bags, packrafts, paddles, PFDs, bike gear, hiiking boots, helmets, stoves, backpacks, etc. I think action packers are the best way to keep them all organized, but I'm open to other lightweigh options. I don't want to end up adding 2000 lbs of cabinets to this rig. While it's not exactly nimble, I don't want it to be heavier than it needs to be.
- Eventually we might put some sort of rudimentary small sleeping platform/bed inside for when we go to Alaska or Canada and leave the trailer behind.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I took the roof rack off last night and I think it looks 1000x better. It doesn't look nearly as huge in person.

20150817_195356_Richtone%252528HDR%252529.jpg