Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2005 4Runner Lorenzo

Caleb

In regard to the LED's they look great. My 100 series had/has a red led in the drivers side map light (the one up by the rear view mirror). At first I didn't understand why the po chose the color... After using it at night I quickly realized it was the best idea ever. It was great for having my co-pilot read maps and such while I was driving at night. With regular LED's and oem lighting it's like someone is shining a flashlight in your eyes while you're trying to drive. The red wasn't nearly as bright which didn't hinder my vision much at all. Something to think about. Nice rig Steve :cool:

Red lights are used in nautical applications all the time for the exact reason you stated, you can have them on at night in the cabin to read maps/charts and still be able to see out fine. Infact most commercial fishing boats lights have two bulbs, one red and one clear and depending on which way you flip the switch, you get one or the other.

Caleb

I just discovered this EZtube. This would be fantastic for a platform.

[video=youtube;LbOnuVBqS7I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbOnuVBqS7I[/video]

I like that. Pricing through them to do a platform in the back of my truck with black aluminum tube would be around $220...not too bad to end up with a killer platform.

Bart

Red lights are used in nautical applications all the time for the exact reason you stated, you can have them on at night in the cabin to read maps/charts and still be able to see out fine. Infact most commercial fishing boats lights have two bulbs, one red and one clear and depending on which way you flip the switch, you get one or the other.

They are used in aviation also.

sixstringsteve

Last week I drove this thing 2500 miles to CA and back, camping out of it for a week. I really like this car. It still has too much body roll in the twisties. This may be due to the lift I put on, but I think it would benefit from stiffer springs. I like the ride height. The CV angle isn't crazy. I was initially worried with having too much lift in the rear and now I'm wishing it were another .5" taller in the rear.

I averaged 17 mpg for the trip. At times it was as low as 15 mpg and as high as 21 mpg (stupid Oregon and their 55 mph speed limits). It was super comfortable, the stereo is awesome, and it had plenty of room for our stuff.

The best mod I've made to this is the rear storage platform; it completely changed the usability of this vehicle. In fact, I think I'd be selling this rig if I had taken it on the CA trip without the platform. We were able to stay organized so much better thanks to the platform. The unistrut worked well and provided a place to hook little tie down straps.

I'm also really glad I did the interior LED lights from airmanwilliams. I love those lights. They're not too bright, but it's so nice to be able to see all over inside the vehicle. I've since changed all my vehicles to having these super bright LEDs. I got more comments about the lights than anything else. I'm sold.

All in all, I'm loving this rig. I miss being able to put my bikes in the back of a truck, but I do like having my gear covered from the elements. I love the ability to roll down the rear window. I need to figure out a way to get a 3.5mm stereo cord as an aux in to the stereo.

If anyone out there has a 4th gen and they'd like to trade the following, let me know:

- cloth seats (trade for my leather heated seats)
- dome light (trade for my DVD system) (I'm not sure if these actually swap or not, but if they do, let's do it.)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Funny about the body roll, if anything ours felt more like a sports car to me... it could tear thru the twisties, even after the suspension lift. I loved pushing it thru a tight corner,

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Complain about that Oregon speed limit all you want but the whole state is just one amazing view after another and you get to enjoy it longer.

sixstringsteve

Complain about that Oregon speed limit all you want but the whole state is just one amazing view after another and you get to enjoy it longer.

I must have missed the good part of the state. We were just in the southern end. Ashland was... interesting...

sixstringsteve

Funny about the body roll, if anything ours felt more like a sports car to me... it could tear thru the twisties, even after the suspension lift. I loved pushing it thru a tight corner,

did you have the XREAS system? I hear that makes a big difference.

sixstringsteve

what tire are you going to run? did you see the new bfg KO2? I pre ordered mine, 34x10.50r17 load D kind of a cool size I thought

I plan on the new KO2s when they come out, same size as my current tires. Now I just need to find some stock 6-spoke FJ wheels.

sixstringsteve

I picked up a set of FJ wheels last night. The backspace on them puts them .5" further out, which should be perfect. My tires will still fit inside the fenders, but it'll be a tiny bit wider.

Now I'm just waiting for the new KO2s to come out so I can throw some new tires on.