Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2005 4Runner Lorenzo

sixstringsteve

I'm demo'ing an ARB fridge at the moment, and I didn't realize how much I'd have to upgrade my rig to properly run it. It's not a big deal, just more than I had anticipated. First off, the rear 12v cigarette port doesn't have very beefy wires going to it at all. ARB mentioned that I'd be lucky to get an entire night with the fridge on before blowing a fuse or triggering the low voltage cutoff.

So I installed the ARB wiring kit that wires the 12v adapter straight to the battery. If the kit had been 6" shorter it wouldn't have reached, but thankfully it was just long enough. Now I have a direct 12v power outlet in the back, tied directly to the battery (with a 15A fuse).

A few weeks ago my battery started acting up. If I left the interior lights on for more than 20 min it would drain the battery. I'd expect that after an entire night of the lights being on, but not after 20 min. I think the battery is on its way out. So I need to replace my battery regardless. In doing some research, I found that most people aren't getting more than a single night's use of the fridge with a stock battery. I know guys with dual battery setups have been known for going 5+ days with a fridge without starting the rig. That doesn't sound like a possibility with my stock battery.

I had incorrectly assumed that one could just buy a fridge, hook it to the stock 12v plug and get 5+ days of use out of it without draining the battery. Now I know better.

So... I looked into dual batteries. Honestly, i don't want to run dual batteries. It's expensive, it's a bit more involved, and it's not what I was looking for. I think they're a great solution for a lot of people, but in the end I decided on a beefcake single battery. It's a Die Hard Marine deep cycle group 31. This thing is a tank. It probably weighs more than a dual battery setup at 75lbs! Anyway, it has double the cold cranking amps that the stock battery had, so I should be fine to use the fridge on my upcoming trips.

The battery is wider than stock, so I had to trim my plastic tray a bit. I'm trying to decide the best way to tie it down. With all that weight, I surely don't want it moving at all. We'll see what I do there.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Dillemma time. I got a flat this weekend and it ruined the tire. Since this is awd, I should replace all 4 tires at the same time. I really want the new BFG KO2s, but they're not available yet.

Good news: they're available Nov 1st.

Bad news: the size I want isn't available 'till April

Apparently BFG has a 3-stage rollout, one in Nov, one in Jan, and one in April. So I can either get 275/70/17s now, or I can wait 'till April for 265/70/17s (which is the size I want). OR... I could get a different tire. I want something rugged and good in the snow. I don't think I want to go as big as a 275/70/17, so I'll probably look for another tire in the 265/70/17 size. I'm leaning towards the Toyo AT2s. I don't want a noisy tire, but I don't want a wimpy tire either.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Good to know on the ARB fridge/battery/wiring situation. I've been going back and forth on a fridge for the JKU and it's nice to hear about some of the little things that get overlooked.

sixstringsteve

The jury is still out on the fridge. I'll be taking it to Moab this weekend to get some experience using it.

I definitely miss the simplicity of a cooler. I'm not sure if it's realistic to remove the fridge when I'm not using it; most people seem to leave their fridges back there all the time. Since this is a DD in the winter, I really only want to have the fridge when I need it. Fortunately it's a loaner unit, so aside from the new battery, it hasn't cost me anything.

At the moment I don't find myself tempted to spend the $$$ to buy one. That may soon change, however, after a few weekends of use.

MOODY

Bald Guy
Get a battery box with a deep cycle battery and a 12v port. Add a battery, and at night when you leave your rig off plug the fridge into the battery in the back or floor of your truck. I saw a sweet setup like this in a truck with a shell on the back, carpet kit, etc. He had a cord that connected to his trailer wiring and two alligator clips for the battery to get a recharge while driving. He said the most expensive thing was the cable.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I can either get 275/70/17s now, or I can wait 'till April for 265/70/17s (which is the size I want).

I don't think I want to go as big as a 275/70/17, so I'll probably look for another tire in the 265/70/17 size.

You do realize a 275/70-17 is only 2/5" (two fifths of an inch) wider and 1/2" (half an inch) taller than a 265/70-17 tire, right?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Good to know on the ARB fridge/battery/wiring situation. I've been going back and forth on a fridge for the JKU and it's nice to hear about some of the little things that get overlooked.

100% depends on your stock wiring, many vehicles have sufficient wiring from the factory... late model Toyota's have really tiny wiring (like charge a cell phone wiring) to the rear factory aux. ports, thus a $40 kit (or $20 on your own) fixes the issue. We have an ARB load tester that we can test your stock (or aftermarket) plug to verify it is getting sufficient voltage at a dummy fridge load.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...I'm not sure if it's realistic to remove the fridge when I'm not using it; most people seem to leave their fridges back there all the time. Since this is a DD in the winter, I really only want to have the fridge when I need it...

???

Why is it not realistic? Install them using any of the common methods and they come in and out in under a minute. Undue 4 cinch-straps, unplug the cord and lift out. I'd venture to guess most fridge users pull them out in between use and often utilize them as a garage/basement fridge in between. Even loaded they are easy to put in and out, simply pull the basket out before you move thus reducing weight.

sixstringsteve

Cool. I love the idea of loading it up the night before, plugging it in to the wall, then putting it in my runner before I leave.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I have that same 31M battery that you just bought, and I love it. I may still do a second battery in the future, and maybe even the way Mr. Moody described, but for now, the high reserve capacity keeps me from worrying much. I just lengthened the stock hold-down bracket with some small angle iron and bolted it in - I don't know how your factory mount is setup, but don't over-think it.

My thoughts on the tires - just make sure you're careful and pick up a tire that is the same size to run until the BFG's you want are available. Obviously don't trust the sidewall numbers alone - measure to make sure diameter is very close to the other 3 (I'd guess if you are within 1/4" you'd be fine?) I don't think you need to spring for all 4 new right away unless the other 3 are in bad shape too.

sixstringsteve

I don't think you need to spring for all 4 new right away unless the other 3 are in bad shape too.

the other 3 are in good shape, but being AWD, i'm worried about mis-matched sized tires. I know subarus and audis get destroyed when they run one tire that's slightly smaller or larger than the rest. This has open diffs with a torsen t-case. From the research I've read, it doesn't do the damage that the audi and subarus do, but it's not good to run a tire that's more than 4/32ths bigger or smaller. If I'm wrong, I'd love it, because that buys me time. I'll need to do some more research to see which tires will fit without trimming.

sixstringsteve

I don't think you need to spring for all 4 new right away unless the other 3 are in bad shape too.

the other 3 are in good shape, but being AWD, i'm worried about mis-matched sized tires. I know subarus and audis get destroyed when they run one tire that's slightly smaller or larger than the rest. This has open diffs with a torsen t-case. From the research I've read, it doesn't do the damage that the audi and subarus do, but it's not good to run a tire that's more than 4/32ths bigger or smaller. If I'm wrong, I'd love it, because that buys me time. I'll need to do some more research to see which tires will fit without trimming.

sixstringsteve

To make the battery fit, all I had to do was shorten the original bracket about 1/2".

20141008_173239.jpg

This thing isn't going anywhere, it's super snug. It fits in there quite nicely. I didn't have to extend the cables, but it's really close. Another 1/4" and I would have been in trouble. I'm really happy with the results.

20141008_220819.jpg

20141008_220828.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm not sure how I want to tie the fridge down in the back. I have the ARB tie down hook kit, I'm just not sure how I want to mount them to the floor. Anyone got any slick ideas that doesn't involve drilling holes in my floor?

sixstringsteve

You do realize a 275/70-17 is only 2/5" (two fifths of an inch) wider and 1/2" (half an inch) taller than a 265/70-17 tire, right?

Yes, I do realize this. All the research I've done states that 275/70/17s rub pretty good with others who have the same lift/wheel combo as me. The 265/70/17s are as big as I can go without rubbing the inner fenders, and I really don't want to trim them especially since I don't need anything bigger than a 265/70/17. This info is all based off the old KO, so who knows if it'll change with the new K02.

I wonder if it's one of those things where the manufacturer's website says one thing, when in reality there's a bigger difference in size. Who knows.

Last edited:

jentzschman

There is a way to do dual batteries on the cheap, or at least cheaper: I have read of people using a solar charge controller as the battery isolated. Then if they need power from the secondary battery, they use jumper cables to connect the two. They have also connected an inverter so they have AC power for their other goodies. Just a thought anyway.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
All the research I've done states that 275/70/17s rub pretty good with others who have the same lift/wheel combo as me.

Okay. (Why am I not surprised to hear you've researched the issue so thoroughly?)

I wonder if it's one of those things where the manufacturer's website says one thing, when in reality there's a bigger difference in size. Who knows.

Yeah, this happens far too often in tire sizing. :(

sixstringsteve

I wish that size would work, I'm really excited about the KO2.

Most important for me on my new tires is:

- durability (especially since I have to replace 4 at once with awd)
- snow traction
- quiet ride

I'm thinking an E-rated Duratrac. The only A/T with a 3-ply sidewall is the bfg KO.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
???

Why is it not realistic? Install them using any of the common methods and they come in and out in under a minute. Undue 4 cinch-straps, unplug the cord and lift out. I'd venture to guess most fridge users pull them out in between use and often utilize them as a garage/basement fridge in between. Even loaded they are easy to put in and out, simply pull the basket out before you move thus reducing weight.

I ran 10ga wire to the back passenger corner of the bed of my truck and installed a 12v Port back there. I store the fridge in the garage and only put it in when needed (partly because it's more exposed to theft in the back of a pickup). Also, I never tie it down. Between the rubber feet on the fridge and the rubber surface of the bed-liner, I've never seen it shift more than an inch. (but then again, my truck's no rock crawler either)