Building a pump track in the backyard

sixstringsteve

That's a really good idea Cody. Those would save me a lot of dirt. Let me see where I stand after I'm done with my current load of dirt, and I may get in touch with you.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
awesome. I highly recommend the ebook about building a pump track. It's by Lee McCormack, and it's worth every penny. Got any pics?

Ill have to check at that book, I know there is a science to spacing stuff right so you can get a pump rythem, mine wouldnt be too impressive to see right now, my sons have trashed it out with thier dirtbikes, but my new one will be off limits to anything with a motor.

sixstringsteve

You're welcome to come check mine out sometime James.

The secret to spacing is the 1:10 ratio. If your rollers are 1' tall, space them 10' apart, peak to peak. Also, don't make them very peaky. Make them round like a perfect sine wave. Mine are more peaky than they should be, I need to mellow them out a bit.

The ebook is definitely worth it if you plan on doing it right.

sixstringsteve

We got a ton of work done yesterday (literally). Actually, 13 tons. We moved 13 tons of dirt from the driveway, about 50 yards away to the backyard. To date, we've hauled about 50 tons of dirt to the back, all by shovel and wheelbarrow. Thanks to all who have helped!

All of the dirt is officially in the back now. We just need to finish shaping 3 turns and 4 rollers, then it'll be completely rideable. The shaping and packing is really fun, I enjoy that part. Riding it isn't too bad either. :D

IMG_20131018_132003_511.jpg

IMG_20131018_131949_622.jpg

If anyone wants some pointsers on my awesome photography lighting techniques, I'd be happy to share my secrets. :D

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
The really cool thing is that if you ever move you can just flatten out all the dirt over your lawn. The grass is so long it will still poke through and the yard will look perfectly flat and manicured!

sixstringsteve

exactly!

I actually have a huge hole where the trampoline used to be. If I ever have to sell, I can put all the dirt into that hole. The grass will still be green and alive under there, right?

Either that, or we'll have a huge "garden area". :D

sixstringsteve

The grass isn't that long, it's just hammered from so many wheelbarrow loads and walking on it. Plus it's crappy grass and the ground wasn't super level before they planted it. So it has thick and thin patches. Crappy lawn actually, but I haven't exactly helped the situation. :)

Bart

Hadn't seen this until this morning. Looks like fun. If someone misses that corner at speed the fence is going to be toast. Have a blast.

sixstringsteve

I'll be digging again tonight if anyone wants to come dig and ride. I need to reshape a berm, add a roller, and add a small berm. All the dirt is there, it just needs to be shaped and packed and ridden.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
How did I miss this thread!?! Looks like fun.

I have been wanting to build something like that in my back yard.