Jeep Building the RockyMountainExtreme.com Jeep Wrangler

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Do you need my Krylon color chart?

No, I'll probably have a body/paint local shop mix the factory color in aerosol cans. I have a spray gun & know how to use it, but it's a PITA mixing paint, spraying it, etc for a rig that's going to just get abused on the rocks. I hope the aerosol cans will give a decent paint job with less hassle.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
No, I'll probably have a body/paint local shop mix the factory color in aerosol cans. I have a spray gun & know how to use it, but it's a PITA mixing paint, spraying it, etc for a rig that's going to just get abused on the rocks. I hope the aerosol cans will give a decent paint job with less hassle.

Just use solid colors, non-mixed. :) I used pure orange toner when Creighton and I painted my buggy, that way there's no mixing or color match issues later--just pick up more orange and go to town.

I think a spray gun is going to give you a lot better results with less money and hassle than having it put in spray cans, and be faster as well.

Greg

Admin
Just use solid colors, non-mixed. :) I used pure orange toner when Creighton and I painted my buggy, that way there's no mixing or color match issues later--just pick up more orange and go to town.

I think a spray gun is going to give you a lot better results with less money and hassle than having it put in spray cans, and be faster as well.

I don't want to paint the whole thing though, just match the currently black hood, red doors and paint the corner crushers, rock sliders & grill hoop the factory blue.

My biggest thing against the spray gun is that I'll probably be spraying in my garage, not a booth. The quality isn't going to be there in the first place... :rofl:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I don't want to paint the whole thing though, just match the currently black hood, red doors and paint the corner crushers, rock sliders & grill hoop the factory blue.

My biggest thing against the spray gun is that I'll probably be spraying in my garage, not a booth. The quality isn't going to be there in the first place... :rofl:

Ah, gotcha. Just paint it with your spray gun then, and make sure you paint most of your garage floor blue at the same time. That's what I did. :greg:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

Spray gun....:wtf:

Lifelong Jeeper

Fuel Cell Question...

I'm wondering about the legality of running one of those fuel cells in streetable rig. Will you be able to put a top on it and not asphyxiate on the fumes?

Greg

Admin
I'm wondering about the legality of running one of those fuel cells in streetable rig. Will you be able to put a top on it and not asphyxiate on the fumes?

Good question, it's probably not technically legal to have a fuel tank/cell in the passenger area of a vehicle. There's a slim chance I'll ever have a top, most of the time I'll be running a bikini top & the half doors. If I did ever install an enclosed top it will be a soft top & I'll vent the tank properly. The tank is built with a vent, so you could easily plumb a hose outside of the cab. I'll probably just run my vent to the top, rear-most part of the roll cage.

With the way I'm building this TJ, you probably can tell I'm not too concerned about 'street legality'. It will be plated in Colorado & we don't have to worry about inspection or emissions in our County, but it probably won't see much road time. I do want it plated so I don't have to trailer to every trail head in Moab, so I can drive from my home to 21 Road, about 5 miles away, etc.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com

Spray can's are easy... Just overlap 50-50 on your passes, keep on your wet edges (don't start from dry spots) and go full length, like you would if you were actually shooting it.

I agree with Carl, though, keep it simple with basic colors.... Or at least get extras! :D

Greg

Admin
Spray can's are easy... Just overlap 50-50 on your passes, keep on your wet edges (don't start from dry spots) and go full length, like you would if you were actually shooting it.

I agree with Carl, though, keep it simple with basic colors.... Or at least get extras! :D

Yep, I've painted cars before. I actually took 2 yrs of auto body classes @ UVSC ages ago. I want to match the factory color because I don't want to deal with painting door jambs, the interior, etc.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Yep, I've painted cars before. I actually took 2 yrs of auto body classes @ UVSC ages ago. I want to match the factory color because I don't want to deal with painting door jambs, the interior, etc.

If you are that serious about it, call the dealer, they may already have some spray paint mixed up for your color. It might be cheaper than doing it (custom mix into custom cans) yourself...

Greg

Admin
If you are that serious about it, call the dealer, they may already have some spray paint mixed up for your color. It might be cheaper than doing it (custom mix into custom cans) yourself...

I'm still a ways off from worrying about the paint, but I'll check all options before starting with it. I hate painting... :-\

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK

Don't even worry about it, dents and scratches will blend with new dents and scratches;). We pay about 11 bucks a can for factory color matched through keystone auto body