Bumper swingout talk

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I have a standard 1.25" spindle kit, no name on it but it looks just like what A-Z Fab is selling. I want beefcake for this swingout, between spare and jerry cans and hi lift I might be pushing 150 pounds. And I'm aware that these spindles are suspect when overloaded.

If I sleeve the bumper for the spindle and just weld the bottom (Comp4x4 style), then use a rock solid clamp on the other end, can I trust it with that much weight? Or should I ditch the spindle and use a hefty bolt in double shear instead? Or is that kind of heft too much for any reasonably sized hinge and I should be thinking double swingout?

DAA

So I have that dead coyote rack on my swing out. Which I have had 150 pounds of dead coyotes on many times and carried that weight many miles over rough terrain or bombing graded dirt at speed. And a hi lift and a 35" spare on there at all times. The spare weighs a hundred by itself. For a couple years before I put the big gas tank in, carried a pair of five cans on it too. Pretty sure it's standard 1.250 spindle. It's not ideal. The bearings have needed replacement about every five years. But, it's still there and all in one piece and working the way it did when it got hung.

- DAA

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've seen Summit Machine post swing out hinges on FB and Instagram so I'm sure they are still making them.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I think if you weld it top and bottom you will be fine for 150lbs. as long as the latch is solid on the other side

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Summit Machine does in fact still make the awesome tire carrier hinge kit. Our website is currently... not current, but the kit is. Features a big burly, precision-machined spindle and hub, and rides on wheel bearings for burly load-carrying capacity. We supply a certain well-known local bumper builder with our stuff, and if you like expeditions, you might know who I mean. :D These kits will not fail you. And they're in stock. :D

see pic below.

Attachments

• summittirekit.jpg
    summittirekit.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 22

thenag

My father in law had one fail... in his driveway, no one was hurt. The steel failed, probably cheap part initially.

We re-built it with one of those fancy double sheer ones that Frieed linked to. We figure if it does fail it is going to rattle like hell before it drops off.

Since I have an XJ and everything about the XJ is about "spreading the load" I like the idea of a double sheer setup.

(On my rig I bought the bumper from RidgedCo I probably should upgrade my spindle, I don't think many of his customers hang a 37 off their tire carrier)

Nathan

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Tease, so.. what do they cost?
Summit Machine does in fact still make the awesome tire carrier hinge kit. Our website is currently... not current, but the kit is. Features a big burly, precision-machined spindle and hub, and rides on wheel bearings for burly load-carrying capacity. We supply a certain well-known local bumper builder with our stuff, and if you like expeditions, you might know who I mean. :D These kits will not fail you. And they're in stock. :D

see pic below.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
They're $99.99 plus shipping if needed. And there's a reason the Poison Spyder one looks similar-- they used our kits until they went to the tailgate-mounted tire carriers. :D

Want me to set one aside for ya? heh