Cab over camper & car hauler... what truck?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Hmmm... found a good looking '05 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab with a 8.1 and Allison trans. Has 220k miles, but it looks clean and well taken care of. Price seems pretty decent... $7500.

NYCEGUY01

The Allison is pretty great behind the 8.1 motor.
My class A Motorhome ( 26' long ) has that combo and gets 1MPG better than my truck.
It pulls great as well, My Motorhome always has my big enclosed trailer hooked to it.

That price doesnt seem terrible. I wouldnt sell you my older one for that....

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
The Allison is pretty great behind the 8.1 motor.
My class A Motorhome ( 26' long ) has that combo and gets 1MPG better than my truck.
It pulls great as well, My Motorhome always has my big enclosed trailer hooked to it.

That price doesnt seem terrible. I wouldnt sell you my older one for that....

I think it's worth considering, I keep hearing how great the 8.1 and Allison are together. It may be a good option for us, less MPG than a diesel, but the numbers are probably a wash (or even favor the 8.1) once you factor in the cost of diesel fuel and maintenance/repair costs.

The downfall is that the truck is a shortbed, which has a pretty small gas tank. Sure would be nice to have a bigger or 2nd tank!

NYCEGUY01

The small tank does kinda suck. About the time I need fuel Im ready for a stretch and break anyway..

When I bought the Wifes RZR I fueled up in Willard and headed for Rexburg. I ran out 1 exit before Rexburg Motorsports...lol
Had to grab a fuel jug out of the trailer and dump in a few gallons on the offramp I coasted down.

Greg

Admin
The small tank does kinda suck. About the time I need fuel Im ready for a stretch and break anyway..

When I bought the Wifes RZR I fueled up in Willard and headed for Rexburg. I ran out 1 exit before Rexburg Motorsports...lol
Had to grab a fuel jug out of the trailer and dump in a few gallons on the offramp I coasted down.

If we can get 10 MPG with 20 gallons, 200 miles per tank isn't awful. But carrying 10 gallons or so would be nice on long trips.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
20 gallons sounds pretty terrible. I can't imagine you'd get 10 mpg towing or with a camper in the bed and both?
Long bed Fords of that era have a 36 gallon tank.
I'm sure the Chevs have close to that right?

NYCEGUY01

The Shortbed trucks have 26 gallon and the Longbeds have 34 gallon.

I would guess 9-10 with the Allison. My Class A Motorhome gets that pretty regularly pulling my enclosed trailer.
Apples and oranges though...

Greg

Admin
20 gallons sounds pretty terrible. I can't imagine you'd get 10 mpg towing or with a camper in the bed and both?
Long bed Fords of that era have a 36 gallon tank.
I'm sure the Chevs have close to that right?

Yeah, 26 gallons tanks in the shortbed Chevy's.... just fudging the numbers, I'd imagine the low fuel light comes on with around 4-5 gallons left. Figuring 200 miles at that point.

The Shortbed trucks have 26 gallon and the Longbeds have 34 gallon.

I would guess 9-10 with the Allison. My Class A Motorhome gets that pretty regularly pulling my enclosed trailer.
Apples and oranges though...

:cool:

Caleb

My Tundra had a 26 gal fuel tank. That was my only real complaint about it. I also got around 9-10 mpg towing normally. I remember one time I towed my camper to Colorado. I was going in to a head wind and I had to fuel up in Price, in Green River, and in Fruita. Each time I literally was coasting in to the gas station. If I would have kept the truck, I don't doubt one bit I would have bought a titan tank. IMO, 26 gallons is WAY too small for a tow rig.

NYCEGUY01

I haven't really had any issues with the small tank in the real world.
When driving empty I never had an issue and when towing my enclosed i always had a 5 gallon jug just in case. Only needed it one time and I was pushing my luck because I knew I had the jugs of fuel.
After 3 hours or so driving I usually need the bathroom and am ready to stretch my legs anyway.

Greg

Admin
Is that tank only for diesel use?

Looks like it, there are other options too.

My brothers first modification to any truck he buys is a Titan tank, he loves them.

My truck has a 150 gallon tank and I still fuel it every day :D

My company is about a quarter mile from Titan tanks. Good Idaho company.

Good to know!

I haven't really had any issues with the small tank in the real world.
When driving empty I never had an issue and when towing my enclosed i always had a 5 gallon jug just in case. Only needed it one time and I was pushing my luck because I knew I had the jugs of fuel.
After 3 hours or so driving I usually need the bathroom and am ready to stretch my legs anyway.

All this excitement may be for nothing... that good deal I found on the '05 Crew Cab 8.1 truck came and went before I even had a chance to look at it. :( I'll be looking or another GM 8.1 truck, Crew Cab or Extended.

BoostedRNR

Many of my friends have owned the 8.1. Fantastic trucks! My favorite was the manual. He could pull off the same mileage that my 5.3 is getting around town. The autos never really got much better than 10mpg's, but one was lifted and on 35's and the other one was heavily rodded. Bullet proof engines. The rodded one had almost 300k miles on it before he sold it and it ran flawless

Greg

Admin
Many of my friends have owned the 8.1. Fantastic trucks! My favorite was the manual. He could pull off the same mileage that my 5.3 is getting around town. The autos never really got much better than 10mpg's, but one was lifted and on 35's and the other one was heavily rodded. Bullet proof engines. The rodded one had almost 300k miles on it before he sold it and it ran flawless

I would LOVE to find a 8.1/Manual shortbed truck that isn't high miles or beat up! That doesn't seem to be easy, though.... they're hard to find, from what I'm seeing.

Tonkaman

Finding a manual transmission behind the 8.1 or duramax is like finding a unicorn. The Allison performed so much better that it quickly dominated the market.

I had a Chevy Avalanche with the 8.1, it loved to burn tires back into molten rubber! I miss that hot rod.

Greg

Admin
Finding a manual transmission behind the 8.1 or duramax is like finding a unicorn. The Allison performed so much better that it quickly dominated the market.

I had a Chevy Avalanche with the 8.1, it loved to burn tires back into molten rubber! I miss that hot rod.

Perhaps I should put out a finders fee! :D

Greg

Admin
Having a hard time finding another decent 8.1 truck....

How hard would a 6.0 & 4L80e truck be getting worked with a cabover camper and a car hauler?