Camping cot or other sleeping ideas?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Most of us are familiar with that concept... I wouldn't own a travel trailer if it weren't for the women, both wife and daughter. Glad it worked out that way though, we all have fun using it. It was a solid family move and no regrets. Completely different world than what I'm accustomed to though.

- DAA

Been there, done that. But I lost a Jeep in the process :(

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I've been considering a tent trailer a lot lately. I love my Four Wheel Camper (slide in pop-up) and plan on keeping it a long time but it is a little cramped when the wife and kids and dogs come along. Some of tent trailers are very small and compact (in a good way). I keep thinking with some custom leaf springs and decent tires/axle one would do alright for moderate off-roading.. Size wise something like this would be nice: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=31362893&cat=209&lpid=1&search=jayco&ad_cid=4

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
The trailers like that that I've been inside were made of tinfoil and cardboard and MDF. I wouldn't want to take one of those on a rough road very often.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The trailers like that that I've been inside were made of tinfoil and cardboard and MDF. I wouldn't want to take one of those on a rough road very often.

They are made for jeep owners. We don't take our rigs on rough roads.

skeptic

I've been considering a tent trailer a lot lately. I love my Four Wheel Camper (slide in pop-up) and plan on keeping it a long time but it is a little cramped when the wife and kids and dogs come along. Some of tent trailers are very small and compact (in a good way). I keep thinking with some custom leaf springs and decent tires/axle one would do alright for moderate off-roading.. Size wise something like this would be nice: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=31362893&cat=209&lpid=1&search=jayco&ad_cid=4

It should be obvious, I know pretty much nothing about tent trailers, but something like that looks to be a great start for what I'm guessing is a decent price. Probably need a small lift or modified fenders to go with bigger tires. On the other hand, my wife does NOT like nasty bumpy roads. My H2 soaks up the bumps far better than my H3t, H3 or lifted XJ ever did but it can still be an issue. For those that know Whitney reservoir - the camping trip before last we went to Whitney reservoir on the easy trailer friendly trail. This time I started to go up the far rougher Gold Hill route. I wanted to check out this other way and the boys were having fun, but a couple minutes in the wife said no - turn around and go the way we went last time.

I guess the other way to put it is based on where the wife is willing to go we'd probably be fine with just about any small to medium trailer while where I'd want to go I'd want small, high clearance and tough. I haven't fully committed (ie - given in to the wife) quite yet, but if (i.e. when) I do I'm sure we'll come up with some kind of compromise trailer (i.e. whatever she wants). My wife likes to camp and fish, I like camping and fishing with her. If getting older with bad backs and other medical issues means I have to buy a trailer to keep bringing her along I don't have much to complain about.