Camping tips:The Sleeping bag

sixstringsteve

I definitely use a bag in the summer, though a 30* quilt would be more than fine for my needs. I've obsessed about my cold weather bag too much. I'll honestly only go backpacking in the winter 2 maybe 3 times a year. So if it's an extra lb, i can live with that a handful of times each year. I could even handle carrying a second one.

sixstringsteve

I've been doing a ton of research and hemming and hawing trying to find the ideal winter bag for me. A -25* WM Puma would definitely keep me warm in any condition I'd be camping in, but I'd probably only use it once or twice a year. I'd still love one someday, but I don't need it anytime soon.

I placed that order for a 10* zpacks, but then I got cold feet and put that credit towards a new zpacks tent.

So that leaves me with my 30* megalite and my 0* Marmot Couloir (a fine bag, just a bit too big for me, and a bit heavier than I'd like). Plus my WM bag has spoiled me, the quality is unbelievable in that bag.

I just pulled the trigger on a WM Antelope MF, 5* bag. I should be good between this and my 30* megalite (I hope). There are definitely lighter bags out there, but I can't quite commit to going to a quilt.

D

Deleted member 12904

So the past few winters I always seem to find myself looking for a new sleeping bag. I winter camp 3 ish times a year. Mostly due to this forum and some gear nerd friends I have only ever looked at down bags but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on $350 plus bags. I only car camp in winter so I don't care about weight I pack two bags now. So talk me out of something like this. It's $143 with bro code

http://www.backcountry.com/big-agnes-whiskey-park-sleeping-bag-0-degree-synthetic

DAA

Just personal preference, but I don't like the way BA bags require the use of a pad. Just would not work for me and my comfort regimen, personally. Not that I don't use a pad, I certainly do, but for car camping, not one that could work with a BA bag.

If it works for you though, then why not?

- DAA

sixstringsteve

I wish I had a bro code. Use that as much as you can before it expires (and let me know if your friend has another code he wouldn't mind giving away).

sixstringsteve

montbell makes awesome coats and vests. Their spiral bags are a really cool concept. I think they end up being better for bigger people, as they have a ton of room inside them (from what I read). That's a great price for a 0* bag.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
So the past few winters I always seem to find myself looking for a new sleeping bag. I winter camp 3 ish times a year. Mostly due to this forum and some gear nerd friends I have only ever looked at down bags but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on $350 plus bags. I only car camp in winter so I don't care about weight I pack two bags now. So talk me out of something like this. It's $143 with bro code

http://www.backcountry.com/big-agnes-whiskey-park-sleeping-bag-0-degree-synthetic

I had the elk park. It was the same bag as the whiskey park, but not quite as warm. It was a good bag. Didn't work out for me, but it was a good bag.

The big Agnes pad I have for sale would fit it perfect ;-)

D

Deleted member 12904

Shopping for a sleeping bag for my June dirtbike trip as well as just a new three season bag. I think this is the one I want bug agnes deer park.
http://www.backcountry.com/big-agne...uIFNsZWVwaW5nIEJhZ3M6MTozNjpiY3NDYXQ3MTEwMDA1

Google says it will compress down to 9x9 but it's only a 600 down fill. I like the size seeing as I'm fat and at under $200 the price is nice.

My question is do you think I will regret not spending more and getting I better quality down. Compressed size is a issue due to limited space on a bike.

sixstringsteve

For your intended purposes, I think you'll be fine. If you were going to be using it 20+ times a year, I'd spring for the best you can afford. If it's just for the occasional trip, I think you'll be just fine. Backcountry says the compressed size is 9x20". That's pretty big for motorcycle camping.

I think it comes down to finding a bag that fits you well in your price range, and a bag that's warm enough for what you need. I'm not sure if big agnes is more conservative or liberal on their ratings, but I'd do a little research there.

Do you sleep hot or cold? How cold do you intend for it to get? I've heard the recommendation to get a bag rated 10* colder than what you plan on experiencing. Also, the pad you use will really impact how warm you sleep.

D

Deleted member 12904

For your intended purposes, I think you'll be fine. If you were going to be using it 20+ times a year, I'd spring for the best you can afford. If it's just for the occasional trip, I think you'll be just fine. Backcountry says the compressed size is 9x20". That's pretty big for motorcycle camping.

I think it comes down to finding a bag that fits you well in your price range, and a bag that's warm enough for what you need. I'm not sure if big agnes is more conservative or liberal on their ratings, but I'd do a little research there.

Do you sleep hot or cold? How cold do you intend for it to get? I've heard the recommendation to get a bag rated 10* colder than what you plan on experiencing. Also, the pad you use will really impact how warm you sleep.

Thanks for the feedback. Backcountry has the stuff size listed at 9x20 but reviews say it will compress to 9x8.5. I actually do camp a lot but its generally car camping with the kids so our synthetic sleeping bags are not a issue. I just bought a thermarest prolite plus 4 season pad from mesha and I hope that should work well. Its a little bulky but so am I.

I have a friend that highly recommends this one http://www.backcountry.com/montbell...duIFNsZWVwaW5nIEJhZ3M6MToxOmJjc0NhdDcxMTAwMDU
it is much smaller and a much better fill at 800 and the material is higher quality. its only $20 more but the rating is 40*. He says its a very generous rating and has used his down to 30* and stayed warm. I think the size will work fine for me and the compressed size is tiny at only 5.1 x 10.1 in. IDK I think the mont bell would work better for motorcycle camping but the big agnes would work better for everything else I do. Im going to think it over for another day or so. I do plan on getting a new winter bag this year also. Im set on just getting a super warm synthetic bag and that could also work in the summer with the zipper open Im sure so maybe the mont bell is the way to go.

DAA

I'll simply repeat my opinion expressed earlier in this thread, that I'm not a fan of the BA bags that have no insulation on the bottom. I just don't like them, personally.

But, ignoring my personal preference in that regard, trying to be as objective as I can - I think paying $250 for a 49 oz, 30* sleeping bag can probably be improved upon.

Just one suggestion, here: http://www.backcountry.com/kelty-co...jIGRvd24gMjA6MToxOmtlbHR5IGNvc21pYyBkb3duIDIw

Same bag, except a closeout, different color and a long, but only $80: http://www.rei.com/product/869364/?...=Cjh52tWO_dc|pcrid|28464597400|&{copy:s_kwcid}

From experience, I feel safe in saying that if you just keep your eyes open, you'll see this bag on sale for under $100 somewehere else before long.

I can vouch for this bag being truly only 40 oz. and truly an honest 20* bag as I bought one for my Son to use backpacking a couple of years ago and he has been loving on it for both backpacking and car camping trips since. I suspect the BA bag above would actually compress and store smaller than it is listed, but for sure this Kelty packs down quite a bit smaller than that.

Researching BP'ing equipment a couple of years ago, this bag came up consistently as the best bang for the buck out there in terms of warmth/weight/quality/price.

All that said, I just think it wouldn't be too hard to find a bag at least as good or better for your purposes than the BA for a lot less money. That is, without compromising to save a buck - truly at least as good if not better, for a lot less. I put the Kelty up just as one example because I'm familiar with it first hand.

- DAA

D

Deleted member 12904

I'll simply repeat my opinion expressed earlier in this thread, that I'm not a fan of the BA bags that have no insulation on the bottom. I just don't like them, personally.

But, ignoring my personal preference in that regard, trying to be as objective as I can - I think paying $250 for a 49 oz, 30* sleeping bag can probably be improved upon.

Just one suggestion, here: http://www.backcountry.com/kelty-co...jIGRvd24gMjA6MToxOmtlbHR5IGNvc21pYyBkb3duIDIw

Same bag, except a closeout, different color and a long, but only $80: http://www.rei.com/product/869364/?...=Cjh52tWO_dc|pcrid|28464597400|&{copy:s_kwcid}

From experience, I feel safe in saying that if you just keep your eyes open, you'll see this bag on sale for under $100 somewehere else before long.

I can vouch for this bag being truly only 40 oz. and truly an honest 20* bag as I bought one for my Son to use backpacking a couple of years ago and he has been loving on it for both backpacking and car camping trips since. I suspect the BA bag above would actually compress and store smaller than it is listed, but for sure this Kelty packs down quite a bit smaller than that.

Researching BP'ing equipment a couple of years ago, this bag came up consistently as the best bang for the buck out there in terms of warmth/weight/quality/price.

All that said, I just think it wouldn't be too hard to find a bag at least as good or better for your purposes than the BA for a lot less money. That is, without compromising to save a buck - truly at least as good if not better, for a lot less. I put the Kelty up just as one example because I'm familiar with it first hand.

- DAA
Im actually really glad you posted that. I was looking at this bag last night as it only $109 with the bro code. That seems super cheap for a compressible down bag and honestly I just overlooked it because of the price. THe REI link doesn't work.

DAA

Interesting... The more of those outdoorgearlab reviews I read, the less I find myself agreeing with them. My Son's Cosmic has MORE loft, in pure measured inches, than my Feathered Friends 20* bag does. They keep saying it's less comfortable than the other bags, but from handling them quite a bit, I just don't see how they are concluding that. They seem to simply be assuming that less expensive "lower quality" material is automatically less comfortable. The Cosmic may use less expensive materials, so it's definitely heavier, but my personal opinion is it gives up nothing in comfort - the fabric has a very nice feel to it. And they also keep saying it's not as warm as other 20* bags, to which I call total bullshit. It's an EN rated bag. Yes, 550 isn't as warm as 800 or 900, that's why the Cosmic has to use more of it, and therefore the bag weighs more. Like I said, the loft is impressive, my Son is about the coldest sleeping person I know and he has nothing but rave reviews for the warmth of his Cosmic.

- DAA

sixstringsteve

Dave, you should pots that review on the outdoorgearlab page for that bag, I'll bet there are a lot of other people who would benefit from your experience with that bag.

I too have had some opposing experiences with some of their reviews. I think it's a good place to start some research, following up with other sources of info as well. I've discovered some of my all-time favorite gear through their recommendations, but I realize they're not the final word on gear and that some of their complaints about gear are downright absurd.

Last edited:
Since I know many of you serve in Scouting organizations, another thing worth mentioning while discussing prices is there are significant discounts on gear, including bags and packs to registered Boy Scout leaders and young men. The gear is super high quality name brand gear, but not super light weight. I think the lightest 30 degree bag they have is around 46 oz. If you are a Scout leader or have a young man in Scouting, feel free to PM me for details.

-Eric

ozzy702

My starter bag was a Kelty Cosmic down 20. For the money it can't be beat. Fabulous bag that I picked up for under $100. Packs down fairly small and isn't super heavy. I think it's a solid 20-25 degree bag IF you remember to fluff it up before sleeping and have a decent R value pad to sleep on. I have nothing but good to say about the Cosmic down 20.

D

Deleted member 12904

Thanks to DAA and ozzy702 I ended up buying a Kelty cosmic down 20 and a different compression sack. I was going back and forth for a while I went to buy a 30* quilt backcountry had a few weeks ago but by the time I went to pay they sold the only one that was in stock then this week I found out they won't be getting more so I decided based on these reviews and the price to give it a shot. It does compress surprisingly well and I think it will fit my dirtbike camping needs great. Thanks for the help guys.