Camping tips:The Sleeping bag

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
For some reason I just noticed this post. After spending 2 days at Palisades Glacier, CA part blizzard and 10 degrees at night with a high of 24 during the day this is my two cents worth. Down V tube 25 degree taper bag, ensolite ground pad, head wear of some kind like a stocking cap and some kind of cover either a snow cave or tent or tube tent of nylon or plastic.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I didnt see this mentioned in here. When a company mentions the length of their bag are they talking about feet to Collar or feet to top of head in hooded bags of course?

For example http://www.westernmountaineering.co...eping Bags&cat=Microfiber Series&ContentId=39

feet to top of head on the inside of the bag. If you are 6' or smaller the 6' will fit. If over 6' you will need the long. Something to think about though, if you have big feet then you will want a longer bag. When you relax your feet will too taking up length in your bag. If you are a man of girth like me then the longer size is nice too because of the length that is taken up when the bag has to go over belly mountain.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I don't know anything really about sleeping bags. But before the winter came I picked up an ALPS -10 degree rectangle sleeping bag that I used on this past trip to the west desert. It kept me warm when it was 19 degrees outside. It's kinda bulky and heavy but I got it for carrying in the car on a trip and for my tent. I don't know if there were better options for the price but I'm satisfied with it.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I don't know anything really about sleeping bags. But before the winter came I picked up an ALPS -10 degree rectangle sleeping bag that I used on this past trip to the west desert. It kept me warm when it was 19 degrees outside. It's kinda bulky and heavy but I got it for carrying in the car on a trip and for my tent. I don't know if there were better options for the price but I'm satisfied with it.

Not a bad bag at all. If you are just car camping with it then big bulky rectangle bags can be awesome. Imagine if you have to carry it very far :eek:

DAA

I'm all about big and bulky for car camping. Just the pad that I use car camping weighs as much as my backpack, my backpacking tent and my backpacking sleeping bag all combined. The sleeping bag I normally use car camping (same one, year round), weighs about 15 pounds all by itself and takes up more room in my Jeep than my Springbar tent does. Hell, the pillow I use car camping probably weighs more than my backpacking tent or sleeping bag do. It definitely takes up more space than either of those backpacking items.

- DAA

kd7kmp

I use a WM Alpinlite for nearly all my camping, as long as I don't have my wife with me :):). I got the long version as I like that extra bit of room for my feet. BTW, I'm just under 6 feet tall.

Kevin

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Yeah when I see those mummy bags I don't think I could do it. A rectangle bag is already snug enough for me to sleep in. I need movement lol. Sleeping on a cot was already a small fit since I like to thrash around before falling asleep.

I slept in a summer tent with the rain fly on. And a cot with a pad underneath. No additional blankets on top. I was wearing thermals, a tshirt, wool socks and a hoodie with a beanie and that all together kept me pretty warm while frost built up on the outside of the tent. Not sure at what temperature you guys are reporting frost on the bag but fortunately I didn't get any frost on the bag or on the inside of my tent.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Speaking of ratings, jus found this on my mummy bag. It's a North Face Elkhorn synthetic...only paid $100 for it like 3 years ago. Looks like Davy's comment on assuming around +10° above the manufacturers label is spot on. With this bag, it would definitely be "survival" only at 0°F.

In case you can't see it, it says...

Comfort: 25°F
Limit: 14°F
Extreme: -20°F

786D63C8-EFE2-4320-814D-7332E7E94CE2_zpsroprujjg.jpg

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Some manufacturers are doing water proof panels on the sleeping bag around the foot and head to keep you from getting wet from the end of your tent. Pretty good idea I think. SOme even pu tit around the face to keep breath out of the insulation, less good idea to me.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Some manufacturers are doing water proof panels on the sleeping bag around the foot and head to keep you from getting wet from the end of your tent. Pretty good idea I think.

That is a cool idea. I have that problem every now and again.

DAA

The sleeping bag I use year round is "rated" and I say that with a cough and rolling eyes, but, anyhow, it is "rated" at -30F. All I have to do to be comfortable in it on a 50* night is unzip it. I have to wear serious long johns to bed to be comfortable at -10F in it. For that bag, which I actually like, a lot, the "rating" is absolutely, 100%, utterly, completely meaningless.

All that said, I spent a few nights in it this past weekend in temps between about -15F and 10F. Never felt the least bit cold or uncomfortable. Slept wonderfully well on the -10F night, in fact.

It's the one that weighs about 15 lbs. One of those oversized - like 40" x 84" or so, canvas covered, flannel lined jobs. I've had it about 15-16 years now. Spent, oh... I don't know, conservatively, with no chance of exaggeration, maybe 450 nights in it? Probably a lot more than that, as I've actually kept track only the past two years and have about 100 nights in it just in 2012 and 2013. No complaints...

- DAA

sixstringsteve

I was looking at my bags last night and I was wondering if some sort of layering system would work for cold weather.

For example, taking my 30* bag and throwing another 2-3" loft down quilt over it to bump up its warmth. Has anyone tried that? The weight would be about the same as a -10* bag, but I'd have more flexibilty in it. Dumb idea?

Last edited:

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I was looking at my bags last night and I was wondering if some sort of layering system would work for cold weather. Like taking my 30* bag and throwing another 2-3" loft down quilt over it. Has anyone tried that? The weight would be about the same as a -10* bag, but I'd have more flexibilty in it. Dumb idea?

I have done that before with great results.. if you are not worried about weight it it works great.. I would suggest sewing some buttons/holes into the system so they can stay hooked together throughout the night..

sixstringsteve

Great idea. I think it'd be cool cuz then I'd have two different bags to choose from depending on conditions.

My 30* bag weighs 1 lb 7 oz. If I added a zpacks 10* medium wide quilt (1lb 5 oz), I'd still be under 3 lbs combined, and I would imagine I could take that setup down to about -5 to -10*.

Last edited:

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
This is exactly what I'm doing. Since my 0° bag is only really comfortable down to 25°, I bought a fleece liner that adds ~12° to that. That will suffice for all backpacking trips I'll be doing. If it's much colder than that, I'll likely be car camping so I'll bring heavier gear for that. I also have an ultralight 40° bag for the summer time that I can line with the fleece if needed as well.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Great idea. I think it'd be cool cuz then I'd have two different bags to choose from depending on conditions.

My 30* bag weighs 1 lb 7 oz. If I added a zpacks 10* medium wide quilt (1lb 5 oz), I'd still be under 3 lbs combined, and I would imagine I could take that setup down to about -5 to -10*.

Not a bad weight.. You might also want to add some velcro to your bag near the foot box that matches the velcro on your coat so you can use your coat for extra warmth over your feet as well. You have your coat so a little attachment velcro isn't much weight (I always get cold feet and having a way to keep my coat stuck to my footbox has made a world of difference for me :) )