Jeep Cancer Motivated me to build my FSJ

401fsj

I have had my 79 Cherokee for almost 9 years now. When I got it I was told it would run just fine and needed a rebuilt tcase. I took it home and rebuilt the tcase with a new chain. The chain was severly stretched out and rubbing the inside of the case. After I got done with the rebuilt of the tcase, I found the transmission would only go in reverse. It got parked at my cousins for a year or so until I saved up to put in a new tranny I bought from someone online. Once I got that tranny in, it slipped and would not drive. It got parked again for a bit while I did other little things to it: new/used leaf springs, oil pump, timing change, spark plugs, etc. It got forgotten about for a number of years parked in my friends shop in Tooele. My wife bought a house while I was out of town with a 3 car garage (enuf said, I was sold). I brought the Chief back to our new house and slowly tinkered with a few things here and there. I was diagnosed with stage 4 colorectal cancer in December 2010 and my motivations suddenly changed. My wife told me to stop talking about building me Jeep and start actually building it.

I you would like to know more about me and my cancer treatment check out our blog at www.curtisandshan.blogspot.com

Attachments

• pics 221.jpg
    pics 221.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

401fsj

Over the years I collected some parts and sold some. I ended up with 37" tires, a 203 and a 205.

This is the shake down on the plan
37 to 40" tires
63" leafs in back
new springs in front with just a little lift
203/205 doubler. this wont be tell later i decided to go with just the 205 due to the budget. But i still have the 203 parts I will need
14 bolt rear heavy dutyized 44 front
Rhino grill
lots o trimming
custom bumper
bed lined inside tub
headers
a/c compressor to air compressor
best battery ever
happy electrical
cumfy suspension seats
undecided on top no top and a safe cage.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Read your blog.. My heart breaks for your wife and family. Much prayers and happy thoughts will be sent your way! Keep us updated on the jeep.. and air stream.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Tell me about the relic run.

The Relic Run from what I know is a group that gets together each year for a back country trip using vehicles made before 1980 and equipment of the same vintage, that is the gist of it anyway. I believe Kurt is one of the planners, I'm sure he will chime in.

Sorry to hear about your cancer, I have a friend who is 23 and in remission for the second time since she was 19, colon cancer as well. I'm sure many on here will be praying for you.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Let me know if you ever need a hand with the build. I've got a plasma cutter, tube bender, welder, tons of scrap metal... basic metal working materials. Keep us updated and post more pics ;)

bschroeder

Curtis your my hero. Worked side ny side with this guy in some sketchy areas. Happy to see your build is starting. Sign me up I have been waiting awhile for this one.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Best luck and wishes with the cancer. Good luck with the Chief build. Always loved those.

I'd like to echo Bart's words.

If there's a work party for your rig, please post up. I see you have a very capable fabrication friend on your blog page in Ian. He's a good egg.

Glad to see you are at HCI. I love being able to work with them when I can. I don't get a lot of opportunities, but the ones I get are great!

Raleigh

OMF Dave
Good luck with the build, should be a good time and something to be proud of when it is done!

I was also diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer, that was 10 years ago!
You can kick it in the a$$, keeep up the positive attitude and you will win!

Last edited:

401fsj

Wow! Im shocked at the responce in just overnight.
When i got diagnosed we moved into the inlaws for a while and rented out the house. Worse day of my life.

While i was in the house I replaced some leaky hoses and got some 37s put on. thats about it. Spent most of my time remodeling the house.

So off we go to park at another friends house for a while.

Attachments

• IMAG0103.jpg
    IMAG0103.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0152.jpg
    IMAG0152.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 19

401fsj

So there it sat for a few monthswhile I went threw some depressed days. Then Talking to my wife she says why dont you get that thing going once and for all. See im a big talker not a big doer. So we went and piced up my rebuild kit.

Attachments

• IMAG0243.jpg
    IMAG0243.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMAG0174.jpg
    IMAG0174.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 10

401fsj

Pulled the tranny out in the back yard in the mud, the only real way to do it. With help from my good friend and cousin. The rebuild is going down at his place in his jimungnormus shop. I secured my oun little corner and got started.

Attachments

• IMAG0178.jpg
    IMAG0178.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG0180.jpg
    IMAG0180.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 7