Carb on a lawnmower.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've gotten two mows in so far on my trusty honda and I've noticed the self-propel gears are slipping. Putting that aside, my brother gave me a toro super recycler 18 months ago when he moved from Utah to NCarolina. It wouldn't start when I brought it home but with the honda working well I just left it outside. Now I'm thinking I want to get it (the toro) going so I looked it up and its supposed to be a pretty decent mower, its a toro super recycler. Obviously the issue is the carb, isn't it always? Its an all plastic deal and I found a oem replacement for $55. There are also knock-offs for like $25. I should just buy the OEM right? Its a briggs and stratton engine. I've never fiddled with small engine stuff so I'm kind of flying blind here.

Toro 21565 (sn starts with 411657)
Briggs 104M02-0254-F1 (engine model)
Briggs 594058 carb model

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I tend to try to clean them first.
A bottle of carb clean, an old toothbrush and an air compressor works pretty good.
But I've had good luck with both OEM and the China carbs. There's really not much to them on these small engines because they run at wide open.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
When I first got the mower and it wouldn't start I figured it was the carb so I tried to pull it off to clean. The whole thing is plastic and I couldn't really figure out how to take it apart. It was probably after my meds had worn off for the day, but I'm sure I gave up pretty quick. I remember doing a quick youtube search too and didn't find anything.

I ordered the OEM and I guess while I wait for it I'll at least take the old one off in preparation but may try and clean it and see if I can get it going. I'm sure I'll have some questions.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Took apart the carb and sprayed out the jets. Got it put back together and nothing. Found a video and took the carp apart again and cleaned the actual jets and put it back together and nothing. Tried to check the spark plug but didn't see a spark. Watched a video, tried to ground the spark plug and didn't see anything. Probably doing something wrong there. Gave up. I think I'm going to go watch Wish now with my boys. Sigh.

xjtony

I got an Amazon ""new" carb last year for my Toro. I couldn't get it to run so I pulled the bowl and found so much varnish that the bowl was full and hard as a rock. It was an old carb someone threw in the cleaner and sold as new.

STAG

On my grind
I’m gonna be in this same boat here with a pressure washer here soon when I get around to it. I’m probably going to go the Amazon route.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
So I got it to fire and run for about 5 seconds. It still shuts off pretty quick. I think the carb will be here in a couple days.

STAG

On my grind
Any chance there’s an oil level sensor? Our saws at work used to fault out the sensor after they got so old, it got to the point to where I had to unplug the sensor to get them to run. Obviously I checked the oil level first to make sure that wasn’t the culprit, but verifying that it had correct amount of good oil I undid the sensor and then they would run.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I changed out the carb today and it fired right up and ran well. Despite not needing it, I mowed the back with no running issues. When I finished and went back to the driveway I found that oil was leaking down the front deck and dripping to the ground. I hosed it off and will have to look into in another day.

I liked the mow enough that I’d like to actually use this mower.