carelessness up af canyon

ok so sunday im home with my family and my parents ask me to take them up af canyon just to see some of the places i go. i didnt do anything wild or crazy with them as i dont need to give them a heart attack yet. i had taken them up to pacific mine the little information site there about the different mines and just to enjoy the ride mainly. got them thinking with their 05 grand that they wouldnt mind going camping up there next year either. but while we were there i know its hunting season and there are people that dont think much. we picked up alot of litter beer cans, cig. packs, and butts. but on the way down that really pissed us off is there was a group of younger teenage or college aged people that were taking down camp when we passed them on the way up. red grand cherokee looking a bit like mine but not the same. well they had left their camp fire going and didnt even think to put it out. i know the ground was wet but come on we dont need to start a possible fire up there. needless to say my family and i put out the fire for them. they had even dumped their coolers water and ice not even ten feet from the fire. is it just me or are people just throwing their garbage anywhere they want up there now or what. have some respect so those of us who like going up for a drive can continue to use this place.

thanks for picking up your trash and others while there

paul aka mustang_boy

sixstringsteve

is it just me or are people just throwing their garbage anywhere they want up there now or what.

It's not just you, people throw their garbage wherever they want. Props to you for picking it up and leaving it better than where you found it.

I went to Moab and Goblin Valley this weekend and we completely filled my trasharoo with other people's trash (over 5 gal).

I like Joseph's idea of making trails accessible by a special 4x4 license only. You have to be educated in tread lightly and leave no trace before you get your license. If you leave trash or drive off the trail then you get your license revoked and you get fined.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Horrible idea. The last thing we need is yet another law that can't be enforced.

Some people are just pigs. Litter has always been a problem, and always will. The best we can do is pick up what we see, and call those out that you can actually catch.

I like Joseph's idea of making trails accessible by a special 4x4 license only. You have to be educated in tread lightly and leave no trace before you get your license. If you leave trash or drive off the trail then you get your license revoked and you get fined.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member

More government control? No thanks: lets continue to educate folks so they don't act so ignorant.

Thanks for helping clean up! :thumbs up:

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Horrible idea. The last thing we need is yet another law that can't be enforced.

Some people are just pigs. Litter has always been a problem, and always will. The best we can do is pick up what we see, and call those out that you can actually catch.

This system is already being used by the Forest Service, it's not my idea. Big Cypress Reserve in SW FL has this system in place. I have an OHV license issued by the Fed (yes, I'm that gangster) and on the back is the combo to the lock on the gate. Every year the FS sends out a new sticker for the back with the new combo. Each year, you have to renew the permit which involves a technical inspection of the vehicle by the rangers. The system was a pita on purpose and it was held as a success since it kept the riff raff out and saved the area from being closed to OHV use.
More government control? They already claim ownership of the land, it's theirs.
This system I believe is used by mine exploration groups in co operation with claim owners.
Once upon a time, there was a push (and came close to approval) to put a gate on the trail to Pitsburgh Lake in AFC and allowing a club to adopt and control access to that trail. Limited is often better than no access.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
It is people like this that cause laws to be passed that restrict our freedoms. We need to educate and support efforts like sixstrings NOOB runs and the Trail Patrol. The hikers, hunters, campers, fishermen, ETC. have the same problem we do. Thanks mustang for your effort.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
It's their land. Right now, the ultimate control they have is to shut it down. Maybe we need Off Highway Vigilantes!

It's OUR land.
WE ultimately control it. WE elect officials who appoint others.
Not a perfect system but far better than most.

Please tell me your going to be one of these "off highway vigilantes" :rofl:

lol!

Once upon a time, there was a push (and came close to approval) to put a gate on the trail to Pitsburgh Lake in AFC and allowing a club to adopt and control access to that trail. Limited is often better than no access.

That was our plan. Alan Taylor and I stood at Forest Lake with the then District Ranger discussing this idea. Her response? "Why would I open Pittsburgh Lake? Look at this mess." We came up with a five year plan. It actually would have ended this season. But U4WDA is better off when it focuses on dinner at Jim's and who's bringing cookies to the board meeting. ;)

AF Canyon is a petri dish for land use activism. Being a high-elevation area with OHV recreation and close to a major population center, things happen quicker. Both good and bad. No exaggeration, in the summer of 2007 I saw someone drive off trail below the rock garden on a Friday afternoon. By Sunday night, so many people had travelled this new "shortcut" that it looked like a full blown road.

It's the first place to be destroyed and closed, but it's the first place where ideas and practices can be tested. If only there was a statewide organization to organize such an undertaking.

The best we can hope for is for everyone to follow the example of the OP and do what they can while they're out.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
It's OUR land.
WE ultimately control it. WE elect officials who appoint others.
Not a perfect system but far better than most.

Cool, shall I forward you a list of trails to reopen? Shall I address it to William Wallace ;)

The Forest Service's mission is not solely recreation, rather conservation. We, will never change that.

Speaking of American Fork Canyon, any catch Snowbird's plans are coming to fruition?

Last edited: