Cherokee buggy build?

great scott

Good stuff, just the kind of expert opinions I am looking for. As far as the axles go they are 4.10s and we are working a deal for a used set of chrome shafts and CTM's for the D44, he actually has the shafts now but they were intended for his full size waggy with a ford D44 that snaps shafts left and right. Hum choices.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
my rig probably weighs about the same, around 3000 lbs
i run 36" iroks on dana44's f/r and have had no axle breakage. it is a 4 cyl, but i wail on it, bouncing and spinning all 4 tires.
the 231 is a crappy case imo, i have had problems with the chain and the bearings. if i could get rid of it for what i invested in the sye and 4:1 i would.

just my 2 cents

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
The t-case chain will stretch after time. You will know it stretched to far when you get a loud bang/pop sound when throttling or turning sharp in 4wd. I wouldn't advise putting any money into any kind of chain driven t-case.

I believe Dana 20 and Dana 300 transfer cases are very easy to adapt to the XJ tranny. You might need a spacer ring if anything at all. Might be something to look into.

Hop under mine and take a look around when I come down on the 12th.

great scott

Herzog said:
The t-case chain will stretch after time. You will know it stretched to far when you get a loud bang/pop sound when throttling or turning sharp in 4wd. I wouldn't advise putting any money into any kind of chain driven t-case.

I believe Dana 20 and Dana 300 transfer cases are very easy to adapt to the XJ tranny. You might need a spacer ring if anything at all. Might be something to look into.

Hop under mine and take a look around when I come down on the 12th.

I have been there done that with the chain before, even flat out snapped one. But we are going low buck here so at this point (until it breaks) the tcase stays, and any $$$ spent will be else were.