ChestonScout installs some Axletechs and reworks the Scout for the umpteenth time

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I started messing with rear shock and bypass mounting.

If anyone has watched Skipped Links build thread they would know that this can be a challenge with Axletechs. With the sharp steering it makes it interesting

Well i set one side up and flexxed the axle. I can move the axle but i cant replicate the body moving inside the garage.

So i bolted the wheels up (been itching to for along time anyway) in order to get it out of the garage and play with the forklift

ChestonScout

I decided to try the original upper shock mounts in the front. But i didnt want to make fancy mounts for the axle til i knew they would work. So i grabbed some scrap

After a little more welding to get everything solid enough to test, and a few other things, it was time to get it outside. Had to put the little Scout to work

Surprisingly enough....it rolled out of the garage on the tires at bump. Never been able to do that before

Got the coils put on it and stopped to take a look

sixstringsteve

you gotta throw a 5 gal bucket in the pic for reference. I know it's huge, but it's tough to tell just how huge it is in person. Awesome work, it just keeps getting better.

ChestonScout

Thanks for the compliments!

The wheels are stock axletech MRAP steel wheels. Designed to take bomb hits. 150 lbs each!!

I have a plan on getting some aluminum beadlocks for it sooner than later

ChestonScout

Time to play with the forklift

At first i thought i was set. Plenty of clearance on the bypass, everything looked good

Then it was time to move the forklift to the front tire

And then.....having the correct ackerman, and 42+ degrees of steering angle found this

I really thought the coilover was gonna be fine and it would be the bypass that fought me. Not so. Gonna have to add some more tube for a shock mount and tip the tops in more

As for the front, the original mount seems to clear everything fine so i think they will stay as is for now

It appears the tire will now clear my headers. It rubbed them pretty good on the rockwells. And the front tube work?? Well

It could be worse. Its just the outer lugs getting into it. Ill just have to keep some touch up paint on hand.

So other than the coilover rub im pretty happy with it

Oh....

I also checked the driveline at every change of articulation. No issues that i could see

ChestonScout

Another thing to mention...

These pics the tire is only lifted to where the shocks were extended fully and no more. Later in the day i rigged up some ratchet straps to keep from stretching out the shocks and lifted the wheels about 6'. The other end wasnt even light yet. Should be a ramp champ besides the mile long wheelbase

LT.

Hard to judge just how big the Scout is because everything Cheston has or does is on such a grand scale. Tires are BIG, wheels are BIG, axles are huge, tow rig is unreal, even the damn forklift is bigger than you would first think. The trash cans in the back ground look like 5 gallon buckets. Lol.

LT.

ChestonScout

Well i tried a couple different shock positions. Everyone got me a little closer to clearing but still not acceptable to me.

I got to the point of just putting the bypass shocks up for sale because i just wasnt gonna make everything clear. One last chance. I decided to add a tube across the chassis to be able to tip the coilovers in more

You can see i also started mounting the radiator knowing that the shocks would have to clear it as well

Pulled it out for another test

Bwahahahahaha!!!!

Everything is tight quarters. But thats par for the course with this build

Both sides even clear. Obviously no coils on but it doesnt appear the tires will get into them at all

ChestonScout

This pic gives an idea of how friggin sharp these axles are able to turn and why making things clear is a pain

The radiator was a ebay score. It was a used nascar rad. Its stupid big and thick but it was 150 shipped. Couldnt pass it up and it has done its job

This isnt how i was planning on mounting it but it seemed to work better this way. I did just buy a spoolgun with the new welder but i havent used it yet and i dont think my irreplaceable radiator should be the place to start. So i really wanted to use the mounting brackets that were there. Skipped Link tigged them up for me a couple years ago and they have had no issues so...

I notched a couple small pieces of tube, used the holesaw in the drill press to cut some circles out of 1/4" plate, and drilled and tapped them for 3/8 bolts

Im using the same rubber isolators from Mcmaster Carr that Skippy used on his new radiator

Debated on how to do the upper mounts. I kinda liked the bottom so just as well copy them for the top

In the old setup, we put the radiator up high to take advantage of some of the free air flow up there. It worked well but i always hated to not be able to see behind me. I also ran a tailgate, wheel wells, and side panels before. Im hoping with it down low, but more open it will still cool sufficiently