Chromollys in a dana 44

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Herzog said:
No way! :rofl:

I beat the piss outa that thing. -_-

If I were to do it again, narrowed D60. But I still haven't had problems with my setup as it is. :p But that is probably mostly due to how light my vehicle is.

I really am amazed at how well your 44 has lasted. I think you're a better driver than I am though. (seriously) Your front axle wouldn't last long for me, I'm afraid. I killed my Spicer D60 shafts, so now I have chromoly shafts on the way for it.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I Lean said:
I really am amazed at how well your 44 has lasted. I think you're a better driver than I am though. (seriously) Your front axle wouldn't last long for me, I'm afraid. I killed my Spicer D60 shafts, so now I have chromoly shafts on the way for it.

You've got JUST a little more torque than him, I'm thinkin'.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I Lean said:

Wow. That's a HUGE compliment! :eek: :)

I'm sure that if I really tried to break it, I could... but I think anybody could, and that goes for D60's and larger too. I just don't know, maybe I've been really really lucky.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
mbryson said:
You've got JUST a little more torque than him, I'm thinkin'.

I'm running a 4.0L, AW4, AtlasII 4.3:1, and 5.13 gears at the diffs. I have no idea what that equals out to though. I know I'm lower geared than most like to be with an auto though.

:confused: :)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Gratuitous front D44 shot. :eek:

On a side note... I do have to replace my ball joints quite often. About once a year. That's the price you pay, I guess.

Don't get me wrong... A D60 is a far superior axle than my D44's. But they work for my application. I wouldn't want to run them under a heavier full body rig at all. If I decided to compete at anytime in the future, there would be 60's sitting under there. But for a trail buggy, it has never left me stranded and it has never made me think twice about a line on any hardcore trail.

Attachments

• herzog-d44front.jpg
    herzog-d44front.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 13

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
chadschoon said:
ask wayne. he put 37's on his 44 and had nothing but problems. He is back down to 35's now

We are not talking about that kind of 44. The advantages of an old school spindle and double tapered rollerbearing hub 44 vs the ruby 44 carrier with dana 30 unit hubs are pretty big IMHO.

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
I have run 39.5 iroks with my front 44 under my rampooper for a long time now and never had a problem........I have hit things hard as any one and have tried in vain to break em:mad:

still can't do it!!! (granted I will get a 60 when i can) but a 44 isn't completly weak