CircleTrack coils and stolen ideas.....

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
OK, while at SuperCrawl Ryan, Chris and I got to poke around Mike Shaffers old Sammi, the one with a Toyota Drivetrain and CircleTrack coils!! After alot of looking, I thought I needed to build one, since I had all the Toyota parts.....then reality hit and I figured I ought to keep my Toyota and continue to work with it, since I have so much time and effort into it already. But...............

Why not do a 4 Link and a set of these Circle Track coils in the mean time? :D I have a Traction Bar (Not mounted), but thought I should just add a little more and do a Triangulated 4 Link. So, heres the dilemma- What spring rate would be good for the rearend of a Toyota with a (hopefully) light-weight flatbed? Jegs offers these Coils in many rates, but they go from 150# to 225#, with nothing in between! So, would 150# cut it? The cool thing is, these springs cost $36 ea.!!!!!!!!

Heres the 'stolen idea' part. Did anyone read the Feature on Jason Paule's CJ/Buggy? Did you see how he uses Air Bags on his Upper Triangulated Link? Its connected to the frame and drops away from the link, when flexing or when there's no air pressure in it. Well, I figured I could do the same and have the ability to adjust the ride height to compensate for a larger load, when the truck is hauling gear or extra parts. Thoughts??

Anyway, lets hear what there is to be said about my Ranting! I know Ryan is having the same thoughts about those cool coils, possibly on a diffrent rig!

Heres the Coils-
122groupsprings.jpg

Ryan

Oh yeah baby. Can't beat 'em for the price. I've heard people happy with #150's front and rear on a sami. I think for a Toy I'd give the #225's a shot before I went #150's. Somebody on POR mentioned they had #170's. Not sure where they got them though.

Greg

Admin
Spring Rate Formula, from elsewhere-

WR= SW / 0.4*WT

WR = Wheel rate
SW = Sprung weight
WT = Wheel travel.

"Say you want 8.5" spring travel (not the same as flex) your rate would be apx 220# = 750 (only one corner) / 0.4 * 8.5.
Meaning for every 220 # of sprung weight the spring will compress 1 inch. While the 0.4 is for desert set up, you may want to go a bit softer so the truck may compress the spring more at rest."

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I know shaffer is running the 150s on his comp rig! that is a pretty lightweight rig so I would probably go with the next step up. I am thinking about those circle track springs for my zuk too :)

sukaB

Banned
Well Circle track springs are of limited spring rates as you know.
I can get Eibach coils for about ten bucks more and they have way-way more rates available. happy to help you if your interested I have a guy in Cali that sells them to me and can figure out anything as far as rates!
He used to Winston cup mechanic it, he figures out all with just telling him the vehicles spec's, cut off here added tube here- he's awesome.

Greg

Admin
Cool, thanks Brandon.

Anyone have a set of stock TJ Front coils?

From what I understand, they have about a 180# spring rate and are about the right lenght. It's still probably too soft for a DD, but I think I would rather start out too soft, than too stiff. I can always crank the Rancho 9k's up to 5.

Greg

Admin
Anyone see any issues with this setup? Its very similar to alot out there. Chris Holley runs it with Bent Lower links for ground clearance and Ryan and I figured it's a decent setup at a liveable price. The RE Spherical Bearings will cost around $200 for 4, but they seem to be a good compramise for a street driven rig, like mine.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I would use bushings on the axle end of the lower links, other than that, it's pretty much the best set up IMO. My question is, who has a good Idea or pics of easy spring retainers/ coil buckets?

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by Jeremy
I would use bushings on the axle end of the lower links, other than that, it's pretty much the best set up IMO.

Why Bushings on the Axle end and Spherical Bearings on the Upper? Vibes? Would one Spherical Bearing on the Lower link provide the needed flex?

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by Jeremy
only one end needs the flex of a heim, and the vibe thing, and the cost thing.

Understood! I have yet to find how much deflection these things get........

RE3791.jpg

I think I've heard 30 Degrees, that sound right?

Greg

Admin
Yep, thats the RE Version, you put them together with a Spanner Wrench and don't have to worry about trying to compress a bushing and installing a C-Clip. They seem to be alot easier to work with and are just a few bucks more. They definatley have a 'cool' factor of 10!

sukaB

Banned
Greg,
The stocker TJ front coils are more around 160 spring rate.
At the suspension place I used to work (no names) we sold 3" lifted coils at 180 to 190 rates.
I have some springs if you like but it'll cost you some talk beer.
I'm not a fan of three links, I saw 2 and heard of another 3 that busted at supercrawl. 5 total.
Do it right and be done.........
I don't see why you need to use 2 rubi joints on one arm.
I make a threaded version of my own and then use one joint in the end and they will never be used to the maximum.
I buy Johnny's for customers but I use Rubi's as well on mine for ease.
4link;)

Greg

Admin
160# is probably too light, so mabey some of those 'unmentionable' 3" springs would be perfect. Do you have any of the 3" Springs laying around, I could get you some Beverages in trade!?

What material do you use for your Threaded arms? I thought about something like that, but figured getting the parts for it would be a PITA.

I can understand not liking a 3 Link. I never plan to compete in this Truck, so it would never see the amount of abuse Comp. Rigs are put thru. Mine is a Daily Driver/Weekend Warrior and I think a well thought out, Triangulated 4 Link would survive under my truck.

sukaB

Banned
I would take cold BEVERAGES for some 3" secret springs........
I can make any arm you want for the best price you'll find anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!! I say any arm.
made here in SLC
Your right on the three link but why would you settle for a regular girl when you could strut around with a PLAYBOY BUNNY.
Get a drift......hehehehe
DO IT RIGHT....Then you can compete if need be.
Two cases would be fair for nice used 3"
Girls rule:cool: :D :cool: