CircleTrack coils and stolen ideas.....

Greg, sounds like a pretty cool buildup. I don't have any input on the coil rates, I'm an XJ guy.:D However, I do agree that you will only need one end on the lower arms w/ a Johnny Joint. My RE SuperFlex lowers run the Johnnies at the axle and rubber at the frame. TJs run the exact opposite on their longarms, so I don't really know what the difference is in performance, seems to be the same to me. Also, I would run rubber bushings instead of poly's.

My $.02.:D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So Brandon, whats your Choice of Beverages? Let me know and I'll work on getting your Favorite!

So, a Straight 4 Link w/ a Track Bar or a Triangulated 4 Link w/o a Track Bar? Do you use DOM for your arms? What size, if I can ask?

Jason- Thanks for the input. I've never owned a vehicle with Coils and Control Arms, so this is all new territory to me.

Originally posted by Greg
So Brandon, whats your Choice of Beverages? Let me know and I'll work on getting your Favorite!

So, a Straight 4 Link w/ a Track Bar or a Triangulated 4 Link w/o a Track Bar? Do you use DOM for your arms? What size, if I can ask?

Jason- Thanks for the input. I've never owned a vehicle with Coils and Control Arms, so this is all new territory to me.

Yeah, its tough to beat the flex of coils, but the territory comes with a whole lot more complications. Is this gonna be front and rear coiled, or what?

Greg

Admin
Leafs front, Coils rear...... The front leafs will be quite flexy and hopefully I can acheive a balanced suspension w/o too much trouble.

Cool, that sounds like it will be pretty slick. I'm thinking that the 3 link will be more prone to axle wrap in the rear, but thats just speculation. Also, I'd definitely run a trackbar, over the axle if possible; over the axle might interfere with the suspension, but it works a lot better.

sukaB

Banned
Greg,
Natty just like my girl...
My favorite is the four link front with track bar-stable strong and I've competed on this setup since the very first rock crawl ever and I've never had a problem with any of my hand made suspension components.
The four link in the rear is my favorite.. I remember about 4 or 5 years ago when people saw my four link rear suspension and said it will never work. I'll tell you those people that said that now have or are setting up or I'm doing a four link on their vehicles?!!!!!!!!!HHMMM Like I say how many three links had trouble this weekend???????
I can get you any dom you would like or like to pay for CHEAP.
Come over and see my arms and the ones on my competition buggie and i'll let you drive it 5link front, four link rear.
That'll cost one extra beer though.

P

pokeyYJ

Somebody had mentioned using bent links for cleance. There is another advantage to this. In order to make the ride most comfortable the links should be as parallel to the ground as possible. This put the operating angles of the suspension at better angles. This is only really important when you are driving on the street. If you did do a bent link the operating angles would be better. If you don't belive me look at the stock TJ's. Another beifit is when you are offroad and encounter an obstacle the front tire hits it and with level control arms the tire will climb much easier. If you use links that are not parallel the force of the impact on the obstacle tries to push the axle back and down. This is one reason lifted TJ's, lift when trying to climb ledges.
Good luck with the suspension

sukaB

Banned
We have a shop for the time being in the back of a house it works but we are going to need to move soon if we want to get some balls rolling. Building buggies for people takes alot of time when theres two of you and no computer setup but that's the price you pay cheap and fast so a guy makes money or done right the first time.
The advantage I have now is great work, low cost of labor and parts to all in this valley..
Could you Imagine a bolt getting greased before it went into a control arm sleeve, Probably not unless you do it yourself..
WE DO!
We'll see, we are working on a bunch of new products for right now and when we are done that will probably be the time.
I'm in no hurry
Thanks

One thing about running "bent" or angled arms is underbody clearance. In the front of Jeeps, the arms have to clear a MAZE of sh!t, thats why they're either straight, or poorly designed like Tomken's XJ long arms, inwhich the arm bends are angled downwards, hindering ground clearance.

However, in the rear of your 'Yota, I would think that you would be able to clear just about any configuration you wanted as long as the spare is out from under the bed.:D

Greg, I really think its up to you man, I would run a 4 link with rubber on the frame and JJs or heims on the axle. Run an over the axle track bar with some med/soft coils and see how it works.:D

Greg

Admin
Just tossing out a quick draft of a Suspension Link idea to see what the general thoughts are.

These are similar to alot of proven designs, like Mike Shaffers and Glenn Wakefields Sammi coil setup links, but I'd like to hear Pros and Cons. I think this would be fairly easy to build, setup and have a spare. I don't think flex would be inhibited too much, with the 'Y' at the end. The JJ at the top would handle all the flex and there would be a bit of side-to-side deflection, as the arms 'grow and shrink' while moving thru their Arc.

The Left end is the Frame end and the Right end would attach at the front and top of the Axle Housing. Of course, a Track Bar would be essential.

Attachments

• linkidea-arm.jpg
    linkidea-arm.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 171

sukaB

Banned
Greg,
Is this going on the rear?
How about a simple four link, triangulated then theres no need for a track bar...?

Greg

Admin
Yep, rear still.

Simple-4 Link? Does a Simple 4 Link EXIST?

The reason I was thinking about the 'Y' arm is because you wouldn't have to deal with the Anti-Squat, frontend lifting Formulas required to get a 4 link to work properly.

1 Arm per side, as close to level as possible. Thats what I call simple! Building the Upper Mount would be cake and carrying spare parts would require one Spare arm. I have limited room to work with, since I am dealing with the Factory Frame, so locating the links could be somewhat difficult. Plus, I want to do all the work myself, so I need to keep it simple. I don't mind running a Track Bar.

On a diffrent, yet related subject.......
What are your thoughts on Converging Links, Brandon? Bad, Good or Who Cares?

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by Jeremy
just make sure you use some stout material. Where the lower link connectcts to the upper, is where it will bend.

I'm not sure what size I'll use, have to research it more. Mabey 1 3/4" x .250 wall DOM????

I may lenghten the lower link quite a bit, to spread out the forces and have a larger contact area. Thanks for pointing it out Jeremy!

Originally posted by Herzog
All this after you get the 44044s? Or is this for another truck? :confused:

:D

44044's are for the front...... They'll be around for a long time!

Coils in the rear to match/beat the front flex! :D