Jeep cj5 engine swap

froggsticks

froggsticks
hi there, i have a jeep cherokee 1990 right now.

looking at buying a 68 cj5.

the cj5 has a 4 banger in it and i'd kinda like to set my 4.0 inline six from my cherokee in there since i've newly rebuilt the 6 and it'l put out a bit better than the wee one!

so basically i was wondering if it is an easy swap? has anyone some tips? does it just bolt straight up to the existing tranny? is there anything else i need to know basically!

cheers if ya can let me know that'd be awesome!!

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I put a 4.0 in place of a 4 cylinder in my 84 scrambler and it works well. At times I wish it had eight cylinders. If you use the wiring from your XJ it shouldn't be too bad. On my cj8 the 4.0 mounts in just fine using the older cj 6 cylinder motor mounts. On your older cj you might have to make custom mounts. Since my cj8 has more length I used the aw4 tranny from an xj so that I had a factory place to mount the crank position sensor. You may also run into clearance issues since the 4.0 is a lot longer than what they put in the older cjs.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
A V8 swap would be a whole lot cheaper and easier than making that 4.0 fit... and BC is right... 68 is a short nose. They went to the longer nose/front clip in the early 70s to fit the 258/232 I6s (which are dimensionally identical to the 4.0). All the jeeps before that had V8s, V6s, or I4s.

Plus, for all the work and money it'd cost to swap the 4.0 in you could have a pretty sweet V8 setup that'd run circles around the 4.0.

froggsticks

froggsticks
hi thanks for your responses there, yeah i think you guys are right on fitting my 4.0 into it. even just looking at the thing i'd definatly have to get the sawzall out to have a chance! a friend has recomended me a complete chevy v8 and drivetrain swap.. telling me Chevy stuff is all interchangeable and cheap parts. seems like good advice.

although also looking at this 68 here it has 33's on it which way to tall for that wee engine and so if i just put a stock size back on there il have a great wee machine for the price and leave it all stock the way it is. the rest of it is in great condition so im gonna go for it and stick my feet into a real jeep at last!

out of interest i have been reading up on the past of the jeep and it's a pretty sweet american vehicle for sure, some history in the thing!

so thanks and if i feel i need the power, the v8 seems to be the easiest choice!

cheepin

I would look into the 4.3V6 or SBC V8.The V6 will fit pretty easily.They did put the 225 V6 in the CJ-5s.A SBC V8 will fit with a little more work.