CJ5 manual brakes, is there a better option?

Tallz

So one of the many things I have been researching on my buildup (78 cj5, full width axles) is the braking. I currently just have the stock manual brake set up. I am looking into running at least 37 inch tires. Im really, really afraid that the manual brakes will not stop that rig once its on the trail! I am wondering what other choices are out there? Is there a booster from another type of truck/jeep I can swap in? What boosters and/or brake with boosters will work on my jeep with little or no modification? If I have to modify it to work thats OK as well.

Im aware of the full hydro set ups like the ones from Vans, but once again Im doing this on a budget and wont be able to afford that set up for now.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Not sure on the CJ5 but the scout 80 guys seem to use almost any ford power booster they can get their hands on and it seems to work well. Usually it means drilling new holes in the firewall to mount it (4 bolts instead of 2 for the most part) and adjusting the length of the push rod (even using your old push rod). I have a brake master and booster out of a mid 90s Ford Taurus if you want to give it a try.. just have to pull the beast out of the car.

Side note I know that the CJ5 master cylinder will work on a Scout 80 with minor changes.

cheepin

You can use a corvette MC.Not sure on year for manual brakes.Search on pirates for Vanseco.Same guy.He has it on there some where.On my 7 with powerbrakes I used one for a mid 80's corvette.Worked great even with rear disks.

Yoda55

GET DOWN, DO YOU?
So one of the many things I have been researching on my buildup (78 cj5, full width axles) is the braking. I currently just have the stock manual brake set up. I am looking into running at least 37 inch tires. Im really, really afraid that the manual brakes will not stop that rig once its on the trail! I am wondering what other choices are out there? Is there a booster from another type of truck/jeep I can swap in? What boosters and/or brake with boosters will work on my jeep with little or no modification? If I have to modify it to work thats OK as well.

Im aware of the full hydro set ups like the ones from Vans, but once again Im doing this on a budget and wont be able to afford that set up for now.

running 35" and larger you really should look at Hydro-boost...yes I know people do it with a vacuum booster but that does make it right.

I can put together a hydro-boost system around $350.00 - $400.00
I have some parts right know.

give me call if you are interested.

Rex
801-209-9631
I'm in sandy as well

Tallz

running 35" and larger you really should look at Hydro-boost...yes I know people do it with a vacuum booster but that does make it right.

I can put together a hydro-boost system around $350.00 - $400.00
I have some parts right know.

give me call if you are interested.

Rex
801-209-9631
I'm in sandy as well

You are probably right on the hydro boost brakes. Once I get out there, I will realize that I dont have enough braking to make things safe. My wife wants this rig done as much as I do so we can go out and play. I would hate put her or my safety at risk.

I was checking out hydro boost brakes online last night and found that the brake MC is not all you need to get that set up. Does your hydro boost have all the lines and all necessary parts included? I might be interested in coming over and seeing what you have.

Rocketman

I substituted an '86 GM booster into a CJ I had years ago and the only thing I had to do to get it to work was cut the end of the pushrod and weld on the end of the old pushrod to get it to mate to the pedal without calling Mickey over to the shop. I had to use heat dissipating putty to keep from melting the diaphram, but it worked really well once installed and never failed.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
My CJ8 has an S10 dual diaphragm brake unit that works well. I had to build a custom bracket to mount it however. For the size of tire you want to run I would go hydroboost brakes. I have them in my 1 ton Chevy and they work very well. They came in the one tons and diesels along with some others if you want to go find the parts.