Cliffhanger Trail is now Subaru rated?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That really sucks... but I'm sure it won't be that way for long after storms and runnoff move the dirt away. It does look like a temporary job to get workers in to the pipeline.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
we all remember the mineral basin/snowbird thing..........right.

give it time. I am sure they had to get some sort of approval to do this. more then likely with a condition that they return the trail to what it was before said work started.

I don't see this as a attack on us to close a trail, merely a temp thing so that the workers can access the area to do thier job. It isn't likely the construction company has a fleet of rock crawlers to access to area ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
This was addressed in the last RR4W newsletter...

"there will be repairs or bypasses made on the cliffhanger trail by the
utility company to work on the gas line, The traiol was originally created
for that work, and new upgrades are all permitted and approved.... they
are willing to help 'put back' any challenges on the route once their work
is finished, so please don't be alarmed."

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
cruiseroutfit said:
This was addressed in the last RR4W newsletter...

"there will be repairs or bypasses made on the cliffhanger trail by the
utility company to work on the gas line, The traiol was originally created
for that work, and new upgrades are all permitted and approved.... they
are willing to help 'put back' any challenges on the route once their work
is finished, so please don't be alarmed."

:cool:

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
As a member of the RR4Ws, these plans were brought up to us at our last meeting (Oct).

Many of the members volunteered to shuttle workers to the site, unforunatly this wasn't helpful since Moab Salt had to get a truck and trailer up the trail. The company is going to build a trench out of 4"x4" boards for the pipeline to sit in to prevent damage. So they needed a trailer pulled in to bring in the 800+ 30' boards.

One of the Moab Salt employees is a RR4W member, so they are sensitive to our desires to preserve the trail. That is why they tried to use dirt rather than bulldoze the rock obstacles.

My wife and I are going to check out the trail tomorrow, we'll let you know how it looks.

At least they did it now so winter snow and spring rain/snow melt can begin to move some of the dirt before Safari in March.

David
RR4W Land Use officer

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
That thing about paving Moab rim to tear down that stupid chairlift is scarry. They put those things in with helos and that is the way to tear them down.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
bobdog said:
That thing about paving Moab rim to tear down that stupid chairlift is scarry. They put those things in with helos and that is the way to tear them down.

Dynamite would work well, too. ;)

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
from my experience, most moab trails are rarely uneroded from one season to the next so dont worry about it too much, Ma-Nature is on our side...she makes the best obstacles anyway!!

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
bobdog said:
...I still don't think the Mineral Basin thing ever did.

How do you figure?

Were you up there for any of the "restoration" process?

Snowbird gave alot of effort to bring it back and IMHO it is just as hard now as it was then...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
bobdog said:

Do you have any more information? This is the first time I have heard anything regarding this? I am interested...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
cruiseroutfit said:
How do you figure?

Snowbird gave alot of effort to bring it back and IMHO it is just as hard now as it was then...

I thought it was done pretty decent.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
cruiseroutfit said:
How do you figure?

I was there for one of the bypass closure work partys just after.

I am not saying no effort was made to restore the trail(but I do not think it is as good as it was, my opinion thats all)

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
cruiseroutfit said:
Do you have any more information? This is the first time I have heard anything regarding this? I am interested...

No I just read it in the naxja link posted above.