Cng?

great scott

4+ $ per gallon is killing me, so it's time I look at alternatives. BlazerJeremy(from this board) is building an electric truck(commuter only). I am having thoughts about converting my rides to run on CNG and gasoline.
So fill me in please :greg:. Pros and cons? Were to get the conversion kits? Who has done it? Best kits/set ups?

soda blaster

Snow motion is very expensive you can go to Arizona get it done and come back and still save a lot of money. I used to think they did a good job until I did my last tune up on my van and they had charged me 300 to change 2 spark plugs and when I just did it again they had never done it before. I do NOT recommend them any more

sixb

Will work for beer!
Conversions are very expensive from what I have seen. Back in November 07 we bought a 2001 f150 dedicated cng pickup for 9500.00 with 51k on the clock. We also got a state tax rebate of 3k which we were able to use in full this year. CNG is the way to go IMHO, but that may change soon if Questar gas privatize their stations. There is a ton of info. on cngchat.com and most of it is local info. The way we figure our little truck will pay for itself in just a year compared to driving the Dodge diesel. I can drive a little over 200 miles for a little less than 10.00 dollars. Here is a picture of my baby:greg:

Attachments

• HPIM1636.JPG
    HPIM1636.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 6

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Questar is looking to get a 45% increase in CNG costs right now. While it may may save fuel (car) costs for a while, the demand is going to make everyone pay through the nose for heating their homes.

jevyguy

I talked to a distributor/installer on monday who is located in St. George, and for a small to mid size car it will cost $4-5,000, and for a V8 it will be about $6,000 after installation. You can purchase the kit from him and do it for $1,200 less which would be my option. The good and bad about it is that his kits are NON-EPA approved so it is "technically" illegal and you don't get a tax return on it. The good thing about it is that you can still run the vehicle on regular gasoline after the CNG conversion, where the EPA approved kit would only give you the option to run CNG.

www.mycngkit.com

Last edited:

ROCKRUNNER

I think the best idea would be to get the EPA approved kit and get it installed. It has to be installed by a certified installer (which isn't cheap to become one) or you won't get the credits if you install the kit. Then after you get it checked off install a bifuel kit so you can select from gas to CNG. Do the math and it should pay for itself in one year depending on how much you drive. Plus you could drive twice as far without stopping for gas on those long trips. There are alot of cheap crappy kits the most expensive part is the tank I saw some crash testing and was floored at how much force it took to rupture one.

great scott

Some of the web sites and info you all have mentioned have really helped, but I still can not find any tech info on them as far as repairs, parts and the like. I am an ASE cert master tech, but CNG is not covered by any of the regular tech info. To save some cash and learn more about it, I would prefer to do my own install.

MYcngkit.com can no longer sell kits. The new distributer is CNGOutfitters.com. They took over the distributorship from the manufacturer. They install the kits as well. TechnoCarb requires you to drill into the manifold of your car, which will void your warranty. The kit mentioned above (CnGOutfitters.com) can be removed at any time w/o causing harm to the vehicle, like it was never there.

jsudar

Ford used to do a ton of factory conversions, but they have quit in recent years. Not sure why. One customer was really mad when he couldn't get a factory CNG V10 in his superduty. The aftermarket quoted him close to 10K for the conversion using the same parts as Ford did.

A lot of Rocky Mtn Power trucks run on CNG. When I was a tech at the Ford Dealer we hated working on them. Even though they were a factory CNG conversion Ford offered very little support and technical info. Seems like we had a few that would stumble on acceleration just off idle. And they were gutless. That's my .02

great scott

Who has EPA approved CNG kits? Correct me if I am wrong but this is what I have found;
Sno motion, will not fit our fleet.
IMPCO=Semi Service, will not fit fleet.
Galelio is not EPA cet.
CNG Outfitters is not EPA approved.
CNG conversions is not EPA approved.