COLORADO -ANY HARD TRAILS TO RUN

t meiser

B.A.M.F
Looking to spend some time in Colorado crawling.Looking for a contact in these areas ,if anyone can help.

Starting point Buena Vista.
First trail will be carnage canyon or any other trails in the area?

Then to montrose LOOKING FOR TOUGH TRAILS THERE?

Then grand junction?

Anybody is welcome to join us or lead us,planning to leave in august.

Thanks for any help.

sparky

Hey Tom I'm very interested the montrose and grand junction leg of the trip let me know what time of the month your thinking

t meiser

B.A.M.F
Thanks for all the help

We will be leaving on august 6 and should be in buena vista the 6th.
Planning to be back in salt lake 13 august.

Two days buena vista then to mortose for ? Then to ? Then grand junction?
And if any time ?

Any trails in-between that anyone knows about let us know ?

Thanks bamf

Carnage Canyon is amazing!!! I would highly recommend that one. Holy Cross is a fun scenic run with a few obstacles at the end, but it's so beautiful. Montrose is a hoot! Die Trying is my personal favorite. Boulder Canyon is the newest trail there and it definitely qualifies as an eat your rig for lunch and spit out the pieces run. So yes, Colorado has some good hard trails. :)

neagtea

Supporting Member
Is there hard trails in montrose???lol
mse
Looking to spend some time in Colorado crawling.Looking for a contact in these areas ,if anyone can help

Starting point Buena Vista.
First trail will be carnage canyon or any other trails in the area?

Then to montrose LOOKING FOR TOUGH TRAILS THERE?

Then grand junction?

Anybody is welcome to join us or lead us,planning to leave in august.
Thanks for any help.

I totally forgot about Penrose!! It's up by Canon City and is absolutely fabulous. Imagine Coyote Canyon having this gorgous, aloof, big sister that you know would rock your world.....that's Penrose.

Oh, my hubby just told me it's technical name is the Independence Trails.

roverrocks

The toughest trail near Montrose is the new Boulder Canyon extreme trail which is rated one of the toughest hard core trails in the nation from what I hear. Also Cactus, Die Tryin, and Topless trails are just west of Montrose. Up around Grand Junction are Billings Canyon and 21 Rd. trails.
If you haven't been up in the San Juan Mountains south of Montrose near Ouray/Silverton/Telluride then you are missing a treat as while they are not hard core trails they are incredibly scenic and high. The 2 toughest down in the local San Juan Mtns are Black Bear and Poukeepsie. Lots of fun and very scenic. Any of the high alpine passes in the local San Juans are tremendous scenery such as Imogene, California, Hurricane, Engineer, Stony, Black Bear, Corkscrew. Other high dead end alpine areas such as Yankee Boy Basin and Governor Basin are very scenic as are all the old mines and ghost towns in the area.

sunshine

No Whiners!
The toughest trail near Montrose is the new Boulder Canyon extreme trail which is rated one of the toughest hard core trails in the nation from what I hear. Also Cactus, Die Tryin, and Topless trails are just west of Montrose. Up around Grand Junction are Billings Canyon and 21 Rd. trails.
If you haven't been up in the San Juan Mountains south of Montrose near Ouray/Silverton/Telluride then you are missing a treat as while they are not hard core trails they are incredibly scenic and high. The 2 toughest down in the local San Juan Mtns are Black Bear and Poukeepsie. Lots of fun and very scenic. Any of the high alpine passes in the local San Juans are tremendous scenery such as Imogene, California, Hurricane, Engineer, Stony, Black Bear, Corkscrew. Other high dead end alpine areas such as Yankee Boy Basin and Governor Basin are very scenic as are all the old mines and ghost towns in the area.

They are amazing for scenery but no challenges, we were there last aug in the jeep and had a good easy time.

ID Bronco

Just got back from Montrose and the Dry Creek trails mentioned before, Die trying, topless, cactus, were awesome. They were challenging for our group and not so bad that you had no chance of making it. I personally loved that area.

roverrocks

July 4,2011 in Ouray/Silverton area trails in the high San Juans. Quite easy trails but lots of fun in early July to drive thru the plowed areas on the high passes plus look down on frozen lakes just as soon as they are plowed. Don't come to the Montrose area W/O seeing some of these high old mining trails and sites. Lots of high trails still not open due to snow such as Black Bear, Imogene, Governor Basin, and Poukeepsie Gulch. Do the hot low elevation tough trails west of Montrose then take a day and cool off on the high San Juan trails south of Montrose.

Attachments

• July4,2011SanJuans 009.jpg
    July4,2011SanJuans 009.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 9
  • July4,2011SanJuans 036.jpg
    July4,2011SanJuans 036.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 5
  • July4,2011SanJuans 070.jpg
    July4,2011SanJuans 070.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 8
  • July4,2011SanJuans 028.jpg
    July4,2011SanJuans 028.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 5
  • July4,2011SanJuans 087.jpg
    July4,2011SanJuans 087.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 4
  • July4,2011SanJuans 095.jpg
    July4,2011SanJuans 095.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 6
  • July4,2011SanJuans 097.jpg
    July4,2011SanJuans 097.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 5
  • July4,2011SanJuans 100.jpg
    July4,2011SanJuans 100.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 4
  • July4,2011SanJuans 104.jpg
    July4,2011SanJuans 104.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 3
  • July4,2011SanJuans 150.jpg
    July4,2011SanJuans 150.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 3

t meiser

B.A.M.F
colorado trails

Very interested. Let me know when you have more specific dates. Never been down there, so no help in that department.

Go away.

Hope those dates will work for you guys, like to have you along? let me know we have an option to leave Friday night or early Saturday.