Company wide tobacco ban

Bodine

One Call That's All
I am sittin at my machine last night going through my emails when I see one that says the company i work for is going to implement a company wide tobacco ban Cigs, chew they even said snus.
Then I start thinking of the mechanics of the situation and what they are doing is huge there are 250k people who work for this company, I dont use tobacco (neither does Brett or Amy yeah) but I had to quit once and that was no walk in the park.
Is this common now for corporate America to bring out policies like this or am I behind the times?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
The only thing that I've heard about was that some companies were banning tobacco usage due to health insurance costs, and that was third hand, so don't quote me.

Bodine

One Call That's All
It said in the email that it was to improve production and employee health i can see their point,

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
250,000 employees??? Where do you work? Good gawd that's a lot of employees. My company started charging something like $600 per year extra for health insurance for tobacco users.

Bodine

One Call That's All
250,000 employees??? Where do you work? Good gawd that's a lot of employees. My company started charging something like $600 per year extra for health insurance for tobacco users.
I work for Boeing and we dont pay for our insurance maybe thats why their changing ther policy but you would think a company that had a 300 billion dollar back log would have better things to do.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
and to subsidize exports to 3rd world companies so that big tobacco can still make their big money and pay their big taxes....

oh wait, they already do that. so maybe more of that.

and we wonder why other countries hate us

Bodine

One Call That's All
Yeah your probably right when I have to go outside on the forklift you see people smoking all over the place but they have cameras in the corners of the building they have to know their out there :confused:

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
My company, Union Pacific, has a company wide ban on smoking. No smoking anywhere on company property, including railroad right of ways out in the middle of nowhere. Apparently, they saved major bucks for healthcare if they could make the commitment to the healthcare companies. Most people still smoke anyway, they're just sneaky about it.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
It makes sense to ban smoking company wide. If they have to pay for your health care, they might as well force you to be healthy.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'm all for companies being able to dictate how they spend their money on employee benefits... but $10/pack and redistributing wealth like that grates on my sensibilities.

Bodine

One Call That's All
It will be interesting how it all turns out my guess is the company will pay for help if people need help quitting. we also get Bonuses on how well we do as a company so I could handle the extra cash if the ban makes a differance :D