Company wide tobacco ban

Bodine

One Call That's All
I know when I chewed I could'nt make it through 8 to 10 hours without it but Im kind of a wuss that way I guess :)

Caleb

back years ago the former owner of my company tried to implement something similar, but he offered to pay any smokers $1K plus pay for any patches, classes, etc they had to get to kick the habit. The only catch was that if they started smoking again they had to pay him back for every penny he spent on them. It helped a TON of people and the productivity went way up as a result of it.

offroaddave

It's just one term!
good. smoking sucks anyway.

should be $10 per pack. profits go to schools and to anti-smoking programs.

No offence, but that's the dumbest thing Iv'e heard all day.
When you price something out of range for people to use, then where does the money come from for the schools?

From you and me.

They also use tobbaco tax for C.H.I.P. Who pays for that when a pack of ciggerettes are $10.00?:-\

sandraider

Thats awsome I smoked for 22 yrs. and quit cold turkey on the 18th of Sep. and havent had one and never will again. Some people can do it like I did and others have a harder time. My wife still smokes but not in the house or cars. But I think if they raised the price a little more I could get her to quit. So I am all for 10 bucks a pack as stupid as it seems.

Bodine

One Call That's All
When you price something out of range for people to use, then where does the money come from for the schools?

From you and me.

They also use tobbaco tax for C.H.I.P. Who pays for that when a pack of ciggerettes are $10.00?:-\

I would gladly pay for Education and health care over someone being able to buy Tobacco cheap I would think if it was 10 bucks a pack or can then maybe more people would want to quit smoking then maybe health care costs would come down.
I dont hate people cause they smoke some of my best friends smoke do i think its ok no I would like them to stay around a while i am kinda selfish that way.
I also hope that I understood your post correctly if not please fill me in. :D

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member

thats a tough one...

Lets see, so when the price for a commodity triples, use will stop drastically?

Do you still fill your car up with gas? Thought so. Gas has basically tripled in the last 10 years. I still buy it. It's called dependency.

Smokes are as essential as fuel to some people--maybe more.

Also, who said we should make it the lone source of school funding? If you jack up the price and use a portion of the revenue to schools, thats just supplementary income. People aren't going to stop buying at $10 per pack--smokes have been over $8 in NY and other states for years and people still smoke. Crazy, I know. PLUS, if that extra $5 per pack is going to make you go broke, then perhaps you shouldn't be smoking anyway. No welfare for smokers. Hows that for an idea?

I'll take a stab at this one too. (and won't even mention that some of the increased revenue could go to CHIP as well dot dot dot)

Based on 1 pack per day....
(4*365)66,900,000= 97.674 BILLION into the economy.

Maybe some of that could help?

And, no offenSe, maybe do a macro-economic model of our economy sans tobacco use and compare it to our current picture. You might be surprised how the welfare of our country could benefit from decreased health care costs and with 66.9 million (estimated) Americans having an extra $100-200 per month to inject back into the market......maybe then it wouldn't be so "dumb" ;)

Cody

Last edited:

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I'm all for companies being able to dictate how they spend their money on employee benefits... but $10/pack and redistributing wealth like that grates on my sensibilities.

The real redistribution of wealth is nonsmokers healthcare dollars going to pay for smokers medical bills. I don't know how much you would have to tax a pack to even things out, but it would probably many times more than $10 a pack.