Competition training day!

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
this is something Mcghie and myself have been talking about for a while. we feel like the sport of ROCK CRAWLING is hurting, and is moving towards the ulta 4 stuff. the problem being that rock crawl competitors are leaving the sport and going to the ultra 4 stuff. most people dont understand that competitive rock crawling is very achivable by most weekend wheeler rigs and a ton of fun! you dont need monster energy or torchmate as a sponsor to get out and really have fun. in talking to some people and reading the forums, it sounds like a lot of people really want to get out and compete but are nervous to jump in with out any experiance. mcghie, a few other volunteers and myself will be meeting very soon to discuss a good date and location to have a rock crawling training day, this will be directed to people who have never been in a competition before and would like to get their feet wet, however anyone is welcome to come and learn. this is not a competiton, so dont be nervous. a few veteran rock crawlers, veteran spotters, and veteran judges, will be there to give tips help spot and teach how the course is judged. i promise everyone(including the veterans) will surely learn something. we will set up courses that very in difficulty, stock-legand-promod, but we wont be making any courses that will be dangerous or too extreme. we dont want to destroy your rigs, we just want you all to get a feel for dodging cones, and get you excited for the next old school rock crawl.

things to be discussed here:

venue? how far are you willing to drive?
1. delta is probably our bet bet as far as good terrain and insuance
2. miller, closer drive but dealling with mmsp is a pain in the @$$ plus cost goes up
3. little moab, i love the place but i dont have a clue how to set up an official event out there

date. give me ideas on when?

invite people.
invite everyone!!!

JK owners? YES!!! old school is going to have an ALL JK CLASS!!! so all you jk guys, tell your jk buddies dont miss this!!

volunteers! we need help from people who HAVE competitive rock crawling, spotting and judging experiance, if you have EXPERIANCE and want to help let me know!

SPONSORS, we are on a budget so any help from good companys will be appreciated! this will be a good event to advertise, seeing as people are going to be coming out, realizing parts they need to compete, then heading to the 4x4 shops after wards!

Coco

If I have a rig by then, I am there!!! I want to compete at the OSRC and other smaller crawls in and around Utah. I have been so anxious to try it out.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
i like the weekly series idea but if its in delta that would be hard on the pocket book, maybe monthly, after this. Anyways im in i think that the rock crawling sport is dieing and needs a jump start more than ever

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I don't see the draw to a weekly, or even monthly competition training event. Is the mission for this to train folks how to compete, or is it to get together and have a mini-comp?

How will this be structured? 30-60 minute presentations (class time) on different topics, then move into hands-on?

If it were me, which it's not, I'd find a date at MMP and create something that doesn't shit on the Old School Rockcrawl. I'm not saying that you are/have/will; just thinking out loud as to treading lightly and not stepping on Craig's toes. Events take a lot of effort to pull off.

It may be worth considering making this an extension of the next RME training day? Just a thought. I don't know what Steve or Kurt think, but if folks are willing to diversify abit I think it could be an interesting addition to the agenda/topics of the event.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Delta has cones, too. Plus, Craig.

Depending on the dates, I'm down to go and talk about judging and help out.

Delta would likely be the easiest location since it's owned by the county and they are very easy to work with.

You know I'll be down. I need to shoot the Wall of Doom again. Let me know when and where you want to do a planning meeting.

McGhie

O hey there Pard!
I don't see the draw to a weekly, or even monthly competition training event. Is the mission for this to train folks how to compete, or is it to get together and have a mini-comp?

How will this be structured? 30-60 minute presentations (class time) on different topics, then move into hands-on?

If it were me, which it's not, I'd find a date at MMP and create something that doesn't shit on the Old School Rockcrawl. I'm not saying that you are/have/will; just thinking out loud as to treading lightly and not stepping on Craig's toes. Events take a lot of effort to pull off.

It may be worth considering making this an extension of the next RME training day? Just a thought. I don't know what Steve or Kurt think, but if folks are willing to diversify abit I think it could be an interesting addition to the agenda/topics of the event.

Jason craig is in works with me and rob on this. He will have a big say. This will not be a comp at all. just a fun training session/sessions to keep the interest high for next years old school!

McGhie

O hey there Pard!
Be cool to have a weekly series locally.

This will not be weakly but we are planning a few thru the summer and a few for spring just before the old school. Its hard to get everything all worked out for just one event let alone every week.

maveric

Crawler Collecter
A few of us colorado people were thinking about doing something similar here to bring some newbies into the sport before the osrc. Some cones, few courses, and good times. We are thinking rangely area (about 30 min from vernal) If anyone is interested.