concealed carry to California

lewis

Fight Till You Die
driving to California and want to take something with me but not sure of there laws. being some incite on their concealed carry laws and bringing in firearms

SpeedyVic

Cannot conceal there unless you have a Cali permit.
Cannot have a mag that holds more than 10 rounds.
Non Cali residents may transport hand guns in vehicles as long as they are unloaded and in a locked box. When moving from/to vehicle, the gun must remain unloaded and in a locked box.

A bunch of other stupid rules too. They make it so it become such a hassle for people going to Cali that it's better to just leave the gun at home. It does you no good to take it there, and you end up worrying about it the entire time you are there.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Click on the map.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
I've been wondering about cali too, the wife and I are going out to northern cali/oregon for the summer and have been researching laws there, they both suck basically for a utah permit holder. Im trying to get a soild answer on having firearms in our 5th wheel for protection at night as we travel around to different areas. I have read were alright because its our "house" but I have also read that its not because we are not residents. Over the last couple weeks its been frustrating trying to get the actual correct info as to what we need to do.

sixstringsteve

Even for CA residents, you need a justifiable reason before they'll even consider giving you a cfp. It's something ridiculous like a $500 fee to apply, and they can reject your request for no reason. And if I remember right, if you apply once and get rejected, you can never apply again.

I wouldn't even bother taking a gun. After you follow their rules its useless in any real situation where a gun would be useful.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
When I moved to Kali in `99 I had to get rid of a shotgun before I left because it had a pistol grip...

ricsrx

i would definitely take the gun with you if you are wanting to protect yourself to stay alive, if your not worried about getting killed by a criminal then leave it home. I was there two weekends ago and no one tried to kill me and I had no problems with having my gun.

i would rather be alive and dealing with the California Justis system than dead and my family back in Utah trying to deal with it.

sixstringsteve

I'm from CA. Apart from scout camp and the sporting goods store, I never saw a gun or heard a gunshot, yet I felt safe my entire life. My family did not own a gun, yet somehow out entire family lived without being shot.

Do I believe CA gun laws are ridiculous? Yes. Do I think they prevent criminals from getting guns? No. But I don't feel intimidated to visit the state (or any other state that doesn't recognize my CFP) simply because I cannot carry. Would I feel safer if I (and others) could carry? Absolutely.

In my opinion, the risk of being caught with an illegally concealed firearm in CA is far higher than the risk of you or your family's life being threatened.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

More dumb CA laws from oag.ca.org:

I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report, pdf. You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

ricsrx

In my onion, the risk of being caught with an illegally concealed firearm in CA is far higher than the risk of you or your family's life being threatened.

I never felt theated during my trip to Cal I never took the gun out of my car and carried it on me, my concern is the car breaking down and im stranded on the road between Dublin Cal and RivertonUT and not knowing what wacos that could be comming my way......

sixstringsteve

I never felt theated during my trip to Cal I never took the gun out of my car and carried it on me, my concern is the car breaking down and im stranded on the road between Dublin Cal and RivertonUT and not knowing what wacos that could be comming my way......

I'm not going to lie, that concerns me as well. I'd really like to get a nevada CFP

ricsrx

Sorry this tread is about concealed carry on your person, i never carried on my person but im sure by reading this that I was illegal in the way i kept it in my vehicle. and as i mentioned above to me it was worth the risk.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
well I hadn't planned on carrying it on my person. I just wanted it in my car for the same reason you talked about Rick. sorry I wasn't specific on that part. so from what I have read I will be good as long as its not loaded in my vehicle meaning the magazine and gun are separate?

sixstringsteve

I'm no lawyer, but this is what I found:

"California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.."

Sounds like it needs to be locked in your trunk too.