Constrictor Sign down??

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
That's right! The FZJ... who was that? I remember that a bunch of us stayed to get it started, trying to pull the plugs in 5* weather. I think it took an hour before it was running again.

Jared Borg :D

He's a cool cat, moved back east last I heard.

borg_roll.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Nope, we vetoed doing it last weekend due to the cold and rain, good thing as it really poured on us out there, the wheeling was great but digging a hole and dealing with concrete would have been a major PITA.

I'm down for whenever. I figured mid-March or later so we can have some decent weather to work in.

Coco

Keep me informed!! All I ask if someone could maybe send me a PM? I am not on the site much anymore....pathetic I know...:rofl:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Bump from the dead.

The snow is gone and the sign should be ready for re-install shortly. Sorry for the delay, we tried in February but the ground was rock solid and it wasn't worth the fight.

We'll need the following:

1. Auger (we could rent, anyone know a good rental outlet?)
2. Cement (quantity???)
3. Water capability (how much water per bag of cement?)
4. Shovels & rockbars

We only have to replant one sign and I've spent a good amount of time busting off the excess cement on the bottom, however its still going to take a larger than average (~18" diameter hole) to get a good footing.

What dates are looking good? I know the UTMA has organized a cleanup this weekend but I was thinking of something more oriented towards RME members and specifically doing some other work on Rattlesnake and Constrictor for this one. There are several other needs in the area including some potential bypass closures on Con that we have discussed in the past. If we can get some committed RME volunteers and mabey even some small donations to help with the cost I think we can get a bunch done. I'll be making a followup call with the BLM in regards to some of these potential projects tomorrow and will report back. In the meantime, who's in?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
How much do you think you'll need in material costs? I bet we could put together a sign repair fundraiser and get the funds. I will handle that, since I'm not close enough to offer physical labor. If the sign re-planting isn't for a few weeks, I might be able to make it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Great question Greg. Do you remember how many bags of cement we used the last time (I know its been several years but I was hoping your memory was better than mine :D).

Also we need to take a hard look at the other projects we've talked about out there. How do we cleanly and aesthetically close the entrance bypass with out making a mess and building something that will be destroyed or bypassed again? Can we combine the two and plant the sign in the middle of the bypass and then do some heavy hauling and get some good sized rocks placed around it??

Mug

PHORmerly
I'd Like to help where I can. I have a steel shop, wood shop, and powder coating to pull from. Or just be there for the install. I also have my big trailered Lincoln 305 stick w/ MIG suitcase if there's any need for REAL trail welding :).

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'd Like to help where I can. I have a steel shop, wood shop, and powder coating to pull from. Or just be there for the install. I also have my big trailered Lincoln 305 stick w/ MIG suitcase if there's any need for REAL trail welding :).

Hmmmmmm. Powder coat you say? What about sand blast?

The current sign looks most like this:
signintall_3.jpg

Add some rust and flaking paint of course. They have actually weathered about 10 times better than I figured they would. The letters are actually a negative cut-out with a white background. Not sure how we would powder-coat that. Mabey do the whole thing and then hand paint the white? I was just going to spend some more time wire-wheeling the paint. Bomb it white to get the letters coated and then roll brown over the top again. Clean and easy, should last another 5-6 years? But sandblasting and a good primer would be ideal to start.

18" dia x 18" deep is 4580 cubic inches, or 2.65 cubic feet. Either way, this site

http://www.csgnetwork.com/concretecalc.html

says you're gonna need 4-5 bags.

1100 cubic inches or so per 80lb bag (2/3 cubic foot)

18" is a big dang hole. A 12" hole, 18" deep will use half that...probably get away with 2 bags and toss in some rocks.

http://www.ashgrovepkg.com/assets/pdf/mixes_concrete-mix.pdf

I'm guessing a 1.5 gallons per bag...but I'd mix a little at a time until the consistency is right. Best to bring too much water and have a bunch left over.

You can mix it in those 5 gallon buckets. I'll come if I'm not at the cabin (dang near every Saturday until August)

Brett

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Great question Greg. Do you remember how many bags of cement we used the last time (I know its been several years but I was hoping your memory was better than mine :D).

Also we need to take a hard look at the other projects we've talked about out there. How do we cleanly and aesthetically close the entrance bypass with out making a mess and building something that will be destroyed or bypassed again? Can we combine the two and plant the sign in the middle of the bypass and then do some heavy hauling and get some good sized rocks placed around it??

I have no idea how much concrete we used... I remember I provided the bags and I know I ended up with 1 or 2 extra. I want to guess I took 5 or 6 bags out there?

I think blocking off that bypass with rocks will just create another obstacle for people to drive on. The ground at the top of that bypass is all rock, so sinking a few poles into the ground won't work. What about stacking rocks around a few pieces of pipe and pouring concrete over the rocks, making a semi-solid fence? Possibly link the pipe together with some braided wire rope? Old winch rope perhaps? It would be easy to tear down sadly.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...I think blocking off that bypass with rocks will just create another obstacle for people to drive on. The ground at the top of that bypass is all rock, so sinking a few poles into the ground won't work. What about stacking rocks around a few pieces of pipe and pouring concrete over the rocks, making a semi-solid fence? Possibly link the pipe together with some braided wire rope? Old winch rope perhaps? It would be easy to tear down sadly.

Hmmm, what to do. I like the idea of the cable gate more than anything. What do we have that could drill some ~2" holes a foot deep in the rock for the pipe so they are pretty attached?

Meat_

Banned
Buck and rail, cheap and easy to fix when it gets torn up. Also it does not appear to be a winch anchor to ignorant people.

I have a 15gal drum and a plastic pan that is made for mixing concrete, they have served well on such activities.

Post mix is cheap. I find that you need 1.5~2x as much as you think you need.