contained campfires

sixstringsteve

I'm looking for some sort of container that I can build campfires in, then put a lid on and pack all my ashes out after.

I have a little fire pan thing for my backyard, and I like it, but it sucks for camping because it's so big, and because it gets ashes on everything when I throw it back in the truck.

Is there anything out there that might fit my need? I'm not sure what size I need, but I imagine something likle a 5-gal bucket size would work well. I thought about dumping my ashes into an ammo can, but I'd really like the ashes to stay in the container that the fire was in if possible. The fire will be used primarily for heat when camping (heating 2-5 people), but possibly for cooking as well.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
10 Gallon steel barrel with a open head would do the trick nicely.. paint it with high temp paint obviously :)

53a

sixstringsteve

yes, that would do nicely. thanks!

I wonder if I can cut up an old 20 lb propane tank and fashion some sort of lid on it.

I wonder how hot most campfires get.

Caleb

Also, which ever container you decide to use, weld on some little tabs/pockets for legs, then just use a couple piece of rebar or the like for legs to make it elevated. This allows them to be removed for easy transport and gets the fire off the ground like some areas require.

sixstringsteve

that's a great idea Caleb.

Cody, I have seen those plans, and I love that idea. My only concern would be spilling the ashes out of those holes when I transport it back home. Is there a solution for that?

DOSS

You could drill holes weld on some large nuts around the base of the firepit (barrel) and when you transport it screw in the bolts that go to said nuts and it won't spill out but you will still have air for your fire :).. yes legs would be a good thing too..

as to where to get one.. I am not sure anymore :(

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
that's a great idea Caleb.

Cody, I have seen those plans, and I love that idea. My only concern would be spilling the ashes out of those holes when I transport it back home. Is there a solution for that?

Ya. You bury them or wait for them to cool and put them in the garbage. :rofl:

DOSS

It would probably be easier to just go with a propane campfire for use in the areas you can't have a regular fire.. no popping ashes out of the fire either to worry about :)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Propane works too, but it's more expensive to get setup and more stuff to haul along.

I want to have a fire pit made that either mounts around my spare tire (so about 35" diameter), or is collapsible and can pack on the bottom of my compartment. But, it's far down my list of priorities at this point.

sixstringsteve

That's a great idea cody. I'm surprised someone hasn't created something like this for the glampers out there.

I was doing the tread lightly training online yesterday and I realized I don't do a very good job making sure my campfires are minimum impact. I typically camp in campgrounds, so it's not a huge deal, but sometimes there isn't a fire pit where I camp, and I think it's time I bring my own, and pack out my own ashes.

Anyone have an old 20 lb propane tank they don't want anymore?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I typically scatter my fires and ashes pretty well unless I'm in a well defined spot that sees high traffic.

That campfire in a can is only 15" across. that's not a very big campfire.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Propane works too, but it's more expensive to get setup and more stuff to haul along.

I want to have a fire pit made that either mounts around my spare tire (so about 35" diameter), or is collapsible and can pack on the bottom of my compartment. But, it's far down my list of priorities at this point.

I have a propane fire, the tank and pit take up less space than the wood I use to carry.

When we went to Pismo Beach for Surf-N-Turf last Nov, EVERYONE there had the washer/dryer drums, But they have a weird rule about not burying the fire/coals in the sand.

sixstringsteve

15" isn't too big, but I think I could make it work. I was just really surprised to read that tread lightly recommends not starting a fire unless necessary. I'm sure I could get by on most campouts without a fire, but I just love having a fire. So i'm trying to be as low impact as possible.

Maybe I'll try building something. I'll probably build it square rather than round, so it'll be easier to pack in the pickup...

I'm sure I'll have some failed designs, but I'll learn as I go. Thanks for the suggestions.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I have seen old rims made into propane fire rings. There is a place over in Kearns that sells them.

Google map of address. I don't know the name of the place. But you could easily make a mount for it go on your tire carrier I would think. I mean they aren't hard to make. Take some tubing put it around the inside diameter of the rim, drill some holes in it, and plumb a fitting for a propane tank hose to the outside of the rim. You would also want to use a regulator from say an old patio grill. Place grate on top and your done.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
I have seen old rims made into propane fire rings. There is a place over in Kearns that sells them.

Google map of address. I don't know the name of the place. But you could easily make a mount for it go on your tire carrier I would think. I mean they aren't hard to make. Take some tubing put it around the inside diameter of the rim, drill some holes in it, and plumb a fitting for a propane tank hose to the outside of the rim. You would also want to use a regulator from say an old patio grill. Place grate on top and your done.

I donated 4-5 rims to that guy, I forget his name, But he is a member here.