contained campfires

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Make sure the burn ban would still allow use of your contained campfire, for example the National Park Service regulations don't necessarily:

"All wood fires are prohibited. Charcoal fires are allowed at designated vehicle campsites. Visitors must use a fire pan and remove unburned charcoal and fire debris."

Basically they allow you to cook over the coals but don't want a fire big enough to warrant wood.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
you could always use a large aluminum dutch oven, but you would have to constantly put out the fire and restart it so the aluminum wouldn't melt. :ugh:

I was camping in southwest ut this weekend. The blm recommended an oil drip pan. I tried it and liked it. I also have a raised fire pit, but to put on the ground to just catch all the ashes, it worked well. The burn spot on the ground went away with the scuff of a boot. Can't really tell I had a fire there!

Bullet

I made a fire pit for my scout troop out of a 55 gallon drum. My scouts are each making one now. I don’t have any pictures of the complete fire pit but I have pictures of the ones we are working on. The one I built has removable legs. I welded ¾ “pipe nipples to the bottom and made handles out of rebar. I made the legs 18” long per scout rules but shorter legs could also be made. I think you could use a barrel with the removable lid and cut it down, weld the rolled lip to the base and attach the lid for transport. I made a gas one as well I used an old BBQ regulator and 1/8” black pipe. I drilled a bunch of small holes and attached a valve to shut it off. I have an extra barrel if you want it.

Attachments

• fire pit 004.JPG
    fire pit 004.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 13
  • fire pit 005.JPG
    fire pit 005.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 6
  • fire pit 006.JPG
    fire pit 006.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 7
  • fire pit 008.JPG
    fire pit 008.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 7
  • fire pit 009.JPG
    fire pit 009.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 6

Bullet

I got them from a friends work. They are clean inside. I have a few extra if you want one. My wife would appreciate it if you took one. She calls them the pyramid of shame.