Cooper S/T Maxx vs. BFG KO2 -questions

pELYgroso

'Merica
These are the 2 tires I'm going back and forth on. I've read a lot of great things about both. I searched and noticed that a few guys here have used the ST Maxx's but I haven't found answers to my questions.

My JKU will get used mostly on-road of course so I'm looking for an A/T or "hybrid" tire. Here are my deciding factors:

durability -I'm assuming the ko2's will last longer with their tighter tread pattern but I've heard the ST Maxx's last a long time as well. As long as they don't wear quickly like an M/T tire, I'm ok with a small difference.

traction -I've read that they both perform well in overlanding and wet street use but can't find much about either in terms of rock crawling traction. I'd love to know how they do on the rocks. This is a pretty big part of my decision.

Size -I've heard the ko2's run smaller than other tires. That's probably the only real turn-off to them but not a deal-breaker if they're a better tire in other aspects....

looks -I like the more aggressive look of the Maxx's.

Anybody have 37" maxx's or ko2's mounted you'd like to share pictures of?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I don't know much about the Cooper tires, but I do know that the BFG KO2 works amazing for everything you're talking about.... excellent road manners, long lasting, quiet, great on the rocks, in the rain & snow on the street, etc. I have close to 35k miles on my KO2's and they have more than 1/3 tread left. If I run them all the way, I think I'll get 50k miles out of them.... and I beat on them. They've been spun on Moab, on the Rubicon, driven hundereds of miles in Baja while aired down, etc. Tires aren't a hard decision for me.... BFG's all the way.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've got the ST MAXX on my Jeep. I couldn't tell you the exact mileage because I have flat towed it a fair amount. I'm pretty happy with them except that they flat spot when the Jeep sits for a few days in cold weather. It takes a few miles for them to warm up and round out again. I've been pretty hard on the sidewalls in the rocks and they take it like a champ.

They are much more quiet than I expected, and seem to be wearing well.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I have a little over three years on my ST Maxx and a bit over a quarter inch of tread depth left. I lost track of the exact miles but I'll likely get 50k out of them. LOVE them in rain and snow, miles better than the Duratracs we had on the Wiferunner. They're on the F150 so obviously no legit rock crawling, but they've hooked up everywhere I've taken the truck so far.

No flats, the Armortek sidewalls are apparently legit. They do get stiff and out of round when they've been sitting like @Hickey mentioned, but that settles out in a few miles on the highway.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The only reason I can't go with the KO2's is that I think BFG's AT pattern is ugly, same with Duratracs and Pit bull tires. There is no doubt that the KO2 performs excellent, but I'm a vain man who can't stand ugly tires. No offense, @Greg.

Coco

I was not impressed with the KO2's in Moab. When they first came out, a friend bought a set for his land cruiser. We went to Moab and he struggled on everything. They did fine on dry slickrock, but if there was any sand on them, they were awful. He went home and put MTRK's on his cruiser and has been happy since.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Thanks! After thinking about it, I seem to read great things about both in every condition except rock crawling. (not many reviews out there I guess regarding wheeling on rocks) Our Jeep will be a DD/ drive to the rock crawling destination and crawl. So, the traction on the rocks aspect is pretty important. This has been some good feedback.

rholbrook

I run the BFGs even though I wouldn’t again but this set has been great. I have about 33k on them and I have a ton of tread. I bet 2/3rds left. They aren’t noisy and they do fine for what Inise them for which is what you will use them for.

Attachments

• 99FCC952-B0AC-48D2-9C3F-0A6A18D15239.jpeg
    99FCC952-B0AC-48D2-9C3F-0A6A18D15239.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 13789E8B-56E0-4D48-BE41-EF7E5344DB10.jpeg
    13789E8B-56E0-4D48-BE41-EF7E5344DB10.jpeg
    706.8 KB · Views: 11

Greg

Admin
The only reason I can't go with the KO2's is that I think BFG's AT pattern is ugly, same with Duratracs and Pit bull tires. There is no doubt that the KO2 performs excellent, but I'm a vain man who can't stand ugly tires. No offense, @Greg.

X-D I think the KO2 is beautiful!! Seriously, I love the KO2 tread pattern and the sidewall tread.

I was not impressed with the KO2's in Moab. When they first came out, a friend bought a set for his land cruiser. We went to Moab and he struggled on everything. They did fine on dry slickrock, but if there was any sand on them, they were awful. He went home and put MTRK's on his cruiser and has been happy since.

Strange, I've not had much of an issue at all with sand and slickrock... but when I'm in Moab, I air down pretty low so perhaps thats the difference? The KO2's seem to stick to most everything, but if you need a bump and to spin them a little, they have always hooked up when needed.

Greg

Admin
I actually like the sidewall. The tread pattern is just too 1989 for me.

Gotcha... I just like how well they work, everywhere. The sidewalls are beefy and take a LOT of abuse without issue, which is a huge issue for a lot of tires. Considering the price you pay for a set of tires these days, I want to know they'll take what I dish out.

Greg

Admin
Greg and Russ, do you like the ko2's over the km2's?

For an all around tire that is going to see plenty of street use, yes. If you were going to be rock crawling more often than driving on the road, the I'd say KM2.... or wait a few months, the KM3 should be out soon.