Coronavirus

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Sad day today. A neighbor had contracted Covid and had bilateral PEs related to it combined with Pneumonia. They intubated him last night and he died this morning.
That's really sad and my best wishes are with his family.

I have to ask though, how common is PE in relation to COVID? Was he vaccinated? Was he in the ER and on Remdesivir? Seems to me that as unfortunate as it is, it wasn't just "COVID" that took him from his family. Extremely sad no matter.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member

I have to ask though, how common is PE in relation to COVID? Was he vaccinated? Was he in the ER and on Remdesivir? Seems to me that as unfortunate as it is, it wasn't just "COVID" that took him from his family. Extremely sad no matter.
From what I’ve read it’s very common, which is the main reason my MD advised me to get the shot(s). It’s obviously most common for people that have a history of clotting issues or DVT but if you’re like me, you have no idea you’re at risk for clots until you have one come out of nowhere.

I’d love to hear if Kevin has more insight due to his medical background.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous

I don't know the answers to these questions. I do know that Covid messes with your clotting factors. I know he was healthy and wouldn't have been hospitalized otherwise. He fought it at home for a while. Then he was hospitalized.I don't know what treatment they had him on. Extremely unfortunate. Cool guy that moved in with his wife and young adult daughter this summer. He has a 60s and 70s and 2000s camaros and a couple nice vettes.
It is surreal that he is gone.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I don't know the answers to these questions. I do know that Covid messes with your clotting factors. I know he was healthy and wouldn't have been hospitalized otherwise. He fought it at home for a while. Then he was hospitalized.I don't know what treatment they had him on. Extremely unfortunate. Cool guy that moved in with his wife and young adult daughter this summer. He has a 60s and 70s and 2000s camaros and a couple nice vettes.
It is surreal that he is gone.
Such a bummer man. Thanks for the response.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Justices of the supreme court should not be making claims shown false with actual data that are 20x more than reality...

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Justices of the supreme court should not be making claims shown false with actual data that are 20x more than reality...
Glad to see a media outlet calling them out on it at least. I'm sure the leader in fact checking CNN will be reporting it all night.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
It's not like the .gov link isn't absolute, real, horse-shit. How is any of that "I told you so"? Did you read the linked pages?

And, not like it needs to be said, but I'm not trying to divide anyone, not hardly. TRD shed some light on it... that's cool, I learned something.
Honestly, I didn't click on it... Because it registered instantly in my brain as clickbait. It might as well have been surrounded by blue led's flashing "click here for nonsense" ha ha

I apologize though, as I really didn't mean to make that sound like a shot at you personally, but more at how easy stuff like that can start making it's way across the internet. Poorly worded on my part.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I did have an interesting conversation with a close friend of mine today that works for the st mark's hospital group (whatever massive company owns that hospital) processing data and reporting it. He says that as far as st mark's goes, the struggle with overload is real insofar as the hospital is understaffed to begin with and like 15-20% of their doctors and nurses are out with covid right now. They only have like 28 covid patients and only 2 in icu and so far omicron cases have been pretty mild, but they only have a couple protocols for covid treatment so they still approach these cases with the same treatments as the more severe cases they saw last year.

He thinks/hopes that hospitalizations likely won't spike in line with the case numbers and the treatment protocols and quarantine protocols will continue to evolve over the next couple months to be more in line with the lower severity of this variant.

But, who the hell knows anymore. I've spent the last couple days getting lectured by customers that inexplicably think I either wrote the mandate myself or give a damn about their opinion about it. The most annoying part is we aren't even forcing people to wear them (not our job to baby sit people on behalf of the health department). They just still feel compelled to act like everyone wants to hear their opinion about it. Literally don't care, sell crazy somewhere else, what beer can I get you.

It's a fun time to be in the service industry.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
A very close friend of mine, in his lower 60’s, is at St. Marks tonight with blood clots in his lungs. He can barley breath. He is (was) in perfect health. He’s ran over 70 marathons. He had a very mild case of Covid about a year ago. Just recently vaccinated. The first thing his dr asked him was if he recently got vaccinated. He said yes. The dr can’t say this was the cause, but did say they see newly vaccinated with blood clots frequently in otherwise healthy people.
Looks like they caught it just in time and he should be ok, but on thinners for a year or so now.