could it be true??

pELYgroso

'Merica
when you filled up before your trip did you top it off? or did you just go till it clicks. If you want the most accurate mpg calcutations then you should just go till it clicks everytime. Because if you just went till it clicks before the trip and then stuffed it full after the trip. then you are putting that extra half a gallon or so into your calculations and upping your MPG's

Technically, you've got it backwards. I did stop at the click on the first fill-up and then top it off on the second. This way, I figure when I say I got 22 mpg's, I did for sure. If we want to get technical, the 10.5 gallons that it took until the "click" on the second fill-up divided into the 244 miles I drove would have made it exactly 23.2 miles per gallon, but I topped it off to 11 gallons, giving me 22.1 miles per gallon. So, when I say 22 MPGs, I'm being conservative. :eek:)

pELYgroso

'Merica
Just for fun, fueleconomy.gov says an '85 auto is good for 18 city and 20 freeway. So if you are driving 50-55 you should be doing pretty good on the mileage. Also 5.29s and 35s is pretty close to stock gear ratio meaning that the odometer should be within 1% accuracy if you believe Roger Browns info http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_TechInfo.shtml -- 28 in stock tires and autos usually came with 4.30s in the diffs...

I was trying to find a cheap suv with good mileage for my little brother a few weeks ago and it was hard to find something that compared to a 22re. They are still hard to find at a decent price as well.

it's wierd to me that I would get better than what they estimate the stocker would get, and I'm driving 60-65 on the freeway w/ the a/c going. (wierd, but awesome!)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
You guys have to be kidding me that you didn't know the 22re is capable of these numbers.. ? This is no secret.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I've hear of 2wd trucks getting low 20's, but never the 4X4 trucks, and never the auto. Sorry that we're not as all-knowing as you are when it comes to Toyotas.

I WILL come to your house at night and sabatoge your swamp cooler........

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
I'm going to agree with jason, if your mini truck/runner isn't getting at leaset 18 mpg, there's something wrong
My runner stock- 29 inch tires, 410s 22re 5peed-home from moab 65-70mph-28 mpg
My runner lifted-35 inch tires 410s 22re 5speed-home from moab 60-65mph-22mpg
My runner lifted-35 inch tires 410s 7mge 5speed- home from moab75-90mph :D 22mpg
My runner lifted 37 inch tires 410s 7mge 5speed-bor desert race 0-80 mph still 15mpg despite what everyone told us about only getting 3-8 mpg

864runner

I know I'm your hero
Technically, you've got it backwards. I did stop at the click on the first fill-up and then top it off on the second. This way, I figure when I say I got 22 mpg's, I did for sure. If we want to get technical, the 10.5 gallons that it took until the "click" on the second fill-up divided into the 244 miles I drove would have made it exactly 23.2 miles per gallon, but I topped it off to 11 gallons, giving me 22.1 miles per gallon. So, when I say 22 MPGs, I'm being conservative. :eek:)

You're right, I was thinking backwards.

I'm going to agree with jason, if your mini truck/runner isn't getting at leaset 18 mpg, there's something wrong
My runner stock- 29 inch tires, 410s 22re 5peed-home from moab 65-70mph-28 mpg
My runner lifted-35 inch tires 410s 22re 5speed-home from moab 60-65mph-22mpg
My runner lifted-35 inch tires 410s 7mge 5speed- home from moab75-90mph :D 22mpg
My runner lifted 37 inch tires 410s 7mge 5speed-bor desert race 0-80 mph still 15mpg despite what everyone told us about only getting 3-8 mpg

I guess there's something wrong with my runner then since I'm on 35's with 5.29 gears, 5 speed, 22re and I'm only getting 17 mpg. And I thought I was doing good! hahaha