Coyotes...

DAA

I spent all day Saturday scouting for the deer hunt. It didn't go so well. Pretty discouraging, actually. Just wasn't seeing very many deer at all, let alone very many buck, let alone any BIG buck. First couple hours yesterday morning was more of the same, looking hard, but just not seeing much.

So... I said to heck with the deer and decided to take a few hours to see if I could call in a coyote or two.

That went much bettter :D.

IMG_5283W.JPG

- DAA

muleskinner

:eek: Awesome! I've been seeing tons of dogs this year. We have a $20 bounty out here on Coyotes. I'm trying to purchase a new barrel using only bounty funds:D

muleskinner

I forgot to ask, I see you have mouth calls and a horn. Is the horn for locating (siren) or a KRAKATOA or something? I have a FX5 I bought when they first came out but I see so many people using them I've gone back to mouth calling mostly.

DAA

The horn is a CS-24, which is just a smaller version of the Krakatoa. The mouth calls are on a lanyard that also holds the remote for the CS-24. In addition to the ones on the lanyard, I usually have one or two more in my pockets. I like having both mouth calls and the e-call at all times. Always good to have options on stand. It's especially nice to have the mouth calls when I do something brilliant like set the caller out but forget to turn it on :rofl:.

- DAA

DAA

Oh, by the way, something I'm just really doing for the first time this year for locating, is using voice howls. I've used a bunch of different howlers for locating over the years and also used electronic sounds like group-yip-howls or sirens or whatever. But all my gov't trapper buddies have been telling me for years that voice howls work the best.

Last year, I had two ADC guys from South Dakota come out and hunt with me for a few days. I learned a lot from those guys. But they absolutely swore by voice howls and man are they ever good at it! I mean, they sounded GOOD. And the results were impressive too. The one guy could do a whole range, puppy howl to boss dog howl, submissive howl, aggressive howl, he had them all down and they all sounded great.

So, I started trying to learn how to do it. To my ear, my howls still sound awful. And even when I'm at my best, I think my voice is too deep and I sound like a big boss dog and that's all I can do - I just can't make any higher pitches. Which, I think is not going to be productive in a lot of situations. But! For just locating, it's been working great! Even though I don't sound good to my own ears, apparently I sound convincing to the coyotes because I get vocal responses a very high percentage of the time. Which, is exactly what my friends have been trying to tell me. That for locating, it's not so much what kind of coyote you sound like, but what's most important is that you sound REAL. And they have been telling me for years that no cow horn or plastic howler or electronic sound comes across as real as actual vocal chords.

- DAA

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
Im thinking there the reason for not seeing many deer, where I usually hunt, there are way too many predators, but you cant just shoot them, there bears

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Nice dogs!! Been taking my 204 out when checking my cameras.. Next time I'm taking my calls out and having some fun. Too much water this year and the deer are not having to do much to find food, and there is water everywhere. My usuall deer holes are empty and I am finding the deer in the deep canyons. I have seen a to of bears also, sometime gets a little creepy in canyons when you see bear shit and tracks everywhere and your on a bike.....

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
My understanding is that Coyotes are free game all year long? does it require a license? If anyone want to take a noobie out with them sometime I would love the experience :)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Who do you get paid by for killing these dogs? BLM? DNR? What are you required to show them to verify kills? Ears? Paw? Entire dog?

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Who do you get paid by for killing these dogs? BLM? DNR? What are you required to show them to verify kills? Ears? Paw? Entire dog?

Every county in Utah has a $20.00 bounty on the ears of a coyote except for the following counties: Davis, Emery, Grand, Salt Lake, And Weber. Every county is different where you take the ears and there is a lot of different crap to deal with.

muleskinner

We turn the ears of the Coyote here in Beaver. They verify that you are a resident of Beaver county and give you a $20 voucher. You then take the voucher to the county building and receive a check.

The way I understand it, the county pays the $20 bounty and the state reimburses them for half of it.

The guy that verifies you are a resident told me they were considering increasing the bounty to $50:cool: I know a couple of guys out here that use dogs for hunting Coyotes and they also use a paraglider. They told me they usually make a few thousand dollars a year with the bounty system.

I'm not sure what the pelts are worth?

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I am not into hunting dogs. It just isn't fun to me. I love to hunt other stuff, but not coyotes for some reason. I'm glad someone does it though:)

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
DAA is doing something right. My last two trips out I have only seen one coyote and I did not even get a shot off.