crawl ratio

Houndoc

If I got it right, a "crawl ratio" is tranny gear x transfer case x axle gear. Correct?

Also, what is considered a 'good' ratio for most rigs (not talking buggy here)?

RamToy

Wickha Wickha Wa
That is it. I think it depends on what motor you are running. For me a 4-banger does good with a 220:1. If i wanted more all around use it would be good to have atleast 100:1. I think bigger HPs get away with a higher ratio ( lower number )

Brett

Meat-Hippy
I'm just under 30:1 in my XJ (need to do the axle gears!) but with the auto, I basically double that. I've never had a problem with it. I think that it's mostly personal preference on how low you want to go. Even when I reagear, I'm only going to be arou 35:1. Works fine for me.

78mitsu

Tire size is pretty important too, if you have a huge tire and a smaller crawl ratio, it affects you more then a smaller tire and a smaller crawl ratio.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
right... gears should more or less be decided upon after your choice in tire size.. I have 37's so i run 5.29's in the axles.

Bone Down

this is a calc that I have used in the past it affords you side by side comparisons for different drive combo's.

my ratio atm: 54.64 <-- 1st gear, low range, 5.13's, 35's.

Last edited:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Just buy an auto and be able to crawl when you want and be able to generate wheel spin when you want. Nothing is more painful than watching a toy guy with 2 cases go through 29 gears before they finally get up some little obstacle.

my buggy had 4.10's in the diffs and 3.8 in the t-case. Not sure on first gear. I liked how it worked. the new owner put 5.13's in the diffs and I didn't think it worked as well. It could have been that i just wasn't used to it though.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'm @ 80:1 in my Toyota running 3.93 first/4.7 T-case/4.37 R&P gears, and it's really nice combo behind my gutless 20R. That being said I wish that I would have went with dual stock cases to get my stock low range back--that would be really nice for snow days :D

rondo

rondo
Just buy an auto and be able to crawl when you want and be able to generate wheel spin when you want. Nothing is more painful than watching a toy guy with 2 cases go through 29 gears before they finally get up some little obstacle.

whatever...you sound like you're tooting your own horn or have a chip on your shoulder. My best pal has a yota with dual cases and he's never had to run thru 29 gears to get up some 'little obstacle'. A good driver who knows his equipment knows what gear to select up front. Only a newbie who's trying out his setup for the 1st time would do that...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
whatever...you sound like you're tooting your own horn or have a chip on your shoulder. My best pal has a yota with dual cases and he's never had to run thru 29 gears to get up some 'little obstacle'. A good driver who knows his equipment knows what gear to select up front. Only a newbie who's trying out his setup for the 1st time would do that...

Nah, he's just taking a shot at me. :)

Cherokeester

my buggy had 4.10's in the diffs and 3.8 in the t-case. Not sure on first gear. I liked how it worked. the new owner put 5.13's in the diffs and I didn't think it worked as well. It could have been that i just wasn't used to it though.

Or just learn how to drive what you got. Probably would be easier and cheaper than a auto conversion.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member

lol, nope just talking from experience. I don't understand how I was tooting my own horn when I made zero references to my own driving ability.

At any rate, I could give you a play by play of typical toy dual case guys on a wall that requires wheel speed to climb, but I've already done it a few times on this board and you might find someway to interpret it as my lifestory complete with tragic love lost and self promoting accounts of how amazing the bacon I cook tastes.

edit:
here, I even found it so I don't have to write it
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showpost.php?p=154330&postcount=22

for reference, there is nothing about my taste in hot air balloons, how much I bench press, or how extensive my knowledge of international politics is.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee

rondo, rondo, rondo.... your buddy must not know what he's doing behind the wheel of his duals... i run duals, and theonly arguement i have for cody is this: 29 gears? sha... try 30.. :rolleyes: i expected more from you Cody.

you know, i agree with Cody here actually.. i'd love to have an auto.. but we all know you'd have to be pretty much retarded to want to run an auto behind a 22re...

-Jason

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Calculators say I'm about: 61.77 (auto, atlas 4.3, 5.13 r&p)

Works for me... I love my ratios. I can haul ass when I need, crawl w/ out using brakes when I need.