Creighton King airplane accident

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

RIP old friend. My heart goes out to his family.

I remember around 2002-2003 competing in UROC, I was part of a rockcrawling team called the Maxxis Rockstars, put together by Craig Stumph.

Creighton was part of the team, in his severely under-built CJ7. He was lucky to finish a course, let alone be competitive.

Creighton heard Maxxis was hiring for traveling representative, attending all the competitions. Creighton was so excited about the job, he asked team members if they'd give him a referral... then he proceeded to write a VERY glowing review of himself, telling us that he wrote it how he thought we would. Then we OK'd the referral and he attached them all to his application. And of course, he was awarded the position as Mr Maxxis! 🤣

If you have pics and memories, please share them.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I've been friends with Creighton ever since we "met" via the old Jeep-SLC email list. That had to have been 1999-2000 or so. His CJ7 was his daily driver at the time. 😳

I'm really going to miss him, and my heart aches for his family.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I remember flying with him. It was a windy day and we were out near Kennecott. There was a plastic bag floating around way up in the sky and he decided to chase it around in the air dipping and diving, circling around. We went over the mountain and landed on some old overgrown air strips just to see what was out there. He loved flying and he was a skilled pilot. He was generous and happy to share his passion with other people. Whatever happened today (sounds like engine failure and a wing stall) I doubt the plane was recoverable or he would have recovered it.

Trate D

Ran into him at the maxxis booth at EJS about 17-18 years ago. Talked Jeeps for a minute said I was running creepy crawlers on my Jeep and loved them. He told me to bring it in and park in the booth so I did. Came back later and he had 36 inch long maxxis stickers on the doors being just out of high school that was a pretty cool experience for me. Prayers for his family.

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've been friends with Creighton since maybe 04-05 whenever I got into 4 wheeling.
I have fond memories of him flying over our camp at KOH and wiggling his wings.
Spending lots of time together at SEMA because he only drank Diet Coke and I drank Dr. Pepper. He would let us sit on the roof of the Maxxis trailer so we could watch the races better at the Vegas short course race and he even introduced me to Pistol Pete that year. He loved to dream and scheme about business with me and anyone else and his business Grip Lock Ties was really starting to take off.
He had an unshakable opinions and strong beliefs. A good guy, a great husband and father.
RIP my friend

I will miss Creighton. I feel for his family.

I met Creighton in a parking lot in the late 90s because he had a cool jeep. Invited him to the Jeep-SLC list and I guess you can say the rest is history. I was his spotter in the first couple years of UROC, cementing a long time friendship. I always admired his good attitude, dedication to his family, his hobbies, and his persistence with his business. So proud of what he accomplished. RIP brother!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I really only ran into him here and there before I bought some short course tires from him a handful of years ago. We walked around his shop, talking for a couple hours about Jeeps, buggies, planes, family, the works. Super nice guy that clearly earned the love and admiration of an IMMENSE amount of people.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Very saddened to hear this news yesterday. He lived large, played hard, stood firmly behind his beliefs and promoted his wares fervently, all attributes I admired in him. Like many I met him through the 4x4 scene 20 years ago. I remember him on the Jeep SLC list and later met at early UROC competitions. Later, I was spotting for Carl and we spent a great deal of time with Creighton including camping out in his Maxxis show rig at events. Over the years I would run into him at 4x4 events all over the place, he was always enthusiastic, excitedly talking about his current endeavors and mutual friends.

One of my favorite memories was a firework fight we had in Indiana? during a rock-crawl? Do you remember that @I Lean? As I recall Creighton had picked up a large load of roman candles, etc on a Native American Reservation somewhere between SLC and Indiana. We had the event site to ourselves at night, just a handful of competitors camping. We sat on top of the different ovatacles launching fireworks at each other.

God speed Creighton. Wheels up brother.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
One of my favorite memories was a firework fight we had in Indiana? during a rock-crawl? Do you remember that @I Lean? As I recall Creighton had picked up a large load of roman candles, etc on a Native American Reservation somewhere between SLC and Indiana. We had the event site to ourselves at night, just a handful of competitors camping. We sat on top of the different ovatacles launching fireworks at each other.

God speed Creighton. Wheels up brbrother.
I remember it now! I'd forgotten about the fireworks. 🤣

Was that the same trip he bought a bunch of mini bikes? I know it was that trip where I learned how well a rented Cavalier could jump....

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I remember it now! I'd forgotten about the fireworks. 🤣

Was that the same trip he bought a bunch of mini bikes? I know it was that trip where I learned how well a rented Cavalier could jump....

I don't recall the mini bikes but yes on the Cavalier. You drove home with him in the RV, I took the Cavalier back to Cincinnati and overnighted in a seedy motel parking lot.

02SE

I didn't know him at all, but he sounds like he was a great guy who is certainly gone too soon.

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.