CTD Question

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
So I'm looking at a 2004 and noticed that the fuel tank size is 35 gal :eek: at todays prices that could cost a weeks wages just to fill it :p . My question is, what kind of milage are you guys getting? I'm looking at a 3500 quad cab 4x4 SWR maybe a DWR.

I also noticed (on eaby) that some are made in Mexico.... :eek: or is that just this one truck or is this common.... :ugh:

Thanks,

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Mine gets 20ish not towing and not driving too fast. 14ish towing, fairly fast. Made in Saltillo (or somethinglike that) Mexico. Mine is a 2003 555. The newer 600s don't get quite as good mileage. Don't get the 4.10 gears, and don't get the DWR if you want good mileage. ;)

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
my mileage has been getting worse and worse for some reason. I used to get around 15-17 around town and towing, and 22-25 on the freeway unloaded.

Now it's more like 12 around town and 18 on the freeway. :confused:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
My only reasons for the DRW is the size of camper I haul. 12' monster....if these new trucks can handle the masive weight I would love to go SWR.

Who has a 2004? What is your input on the 600?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Cody said:
my mileage has been getting worse and worse for some reason. I used to get around 15-17 around town and towing, and 22-25 on the freeway unloaded.

Now it's more like 12 around town and 18 on the freeway. :confused:
Changed the fuel filter lately?

Turbobob

Semper Fi
I guy I know was getting poor mileage in his CTD. I told him to reset his accelerator pedal position sensor(APPS). To do this, disconnect both batteries and turn the key to the run position. Let the truck sit that way for a minimum of 1/2 hour. Turn the key off, reconnect the batteries. Turn the key to the run position, SLOWLY press accelerator pedal to the floor, and slowly return to the top. Turn the key off. Start truck & drive it. this recalibrates the APPS and resets the computer.

Sorry for the Hijack Shawn ;)
By the way, my 2000 CTD with 6 speed trans get over 20 on the highway, about 17 around town. With exhaust, EZ box and intake, it puts out plenty of power for towing. Injectors are next :D

GETBENT

CRASH
I have an 04 with the 600 motor in it and I'm a little disappointed with the milage. It is a 6 spd and it only has 9000 miles on it but I thought by now I'd be doing a little better. I've been getting approx. 14mpg driving 11 miles each way to work daily. I just installed the edge juice with attitute controller about 3 weeks ago!! It's sweeeet! Overall its a great truck so far, but my brother says it best when he describes it as being " a craftsman lawnmower with a Honda motor"

Attachments

• towrigsnowin.JPG
    towrigsnowin.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

GETBENT

CRASH
Shawn said:
So are you dissapointed in the 600?

No i'm not one bit disappointed with the motor and how much power and torque it has, I was just expecting better fuel mileage after 9000 miles of break in, but I havn't given up hope that it will improve more. It jumped up about 2 mpg after the first oil change so maybe it will go up again after the next one. Also if you want to read a lot of good info on these trucks, take a look at www.Dieselram.com I found that forum to be very helpful.

Scott

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
GETBENT said:
No i'm not one bit disappointed with the motor and how much power and torque it has, I was just expecting better fuel mileage after 9000 miles of break in, but I havn't given up hope that it will improve more. It jumped up about 2 mpg after the first oil change so maybe it will go up again after the next one. Also if you want to read a lot of good info on these trucks, take a look at www.Dieselram.com I found that forum to be very helpful.

Scott
Thanks,

GETBENT

CRASH
Hickey said:
Address your intake and exhaust, and it will help your mileage too.

Mine has the AFE intake sys. and it's straight piped, no change in mileage at all. Straight piping it made the EGT's drop but thats about it.

GETBENT

CRASH
I heard that most diesel's get a little worse fuel mileage in the winter time because of the additives they have to put in the fuel for cold weather, does anyone know if there is truth to this? RME Myth Busters?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
GETBENT said:
I heard that most diesel's get a little worse fuel mileage in the winter time because of the additives they have to put in the fuel for cold weather, does anyone know if there is truth to this? RME Myth Busters?
That is 100% true. Winterized fuel does not burn as efficiently. Diesel #1 does the same thing.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Ok,

So,

I guess my question is now... :ugh: does one find that the 600 is better than the 555? I have read different opinions, the 555's are easier to add more power to. Do you 555 guys just love your truck and would show no sign of upgrading to the newer version, or would you rather have the 600.

At 45-50 grand, the 600 better be the sweetest rig alive... :sick:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have heard that the 600's computer will through permanent codes that the dealer can read if you chip it. Again, this is what I HEARD...

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I guess what I'm wondering from you experts is, what is the best bang for my buck? What year, 12 or 24 valve... etc..

:)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Shawn said:
I guess what I'm wondering from you experts is, what is the best bang for my buck? What year, 12 or 24 valve... etc..

:)
I gotta tell ya, everytime I drive my brother's '02 24 valve, it makes me want one. The 02 also is the first year with rear discs.

sibeta

Lance on Pirate 4x4 had the turbo on his cummins come apart outside of Price or somewhere close to there last year and he had it towed in to a local dodge dealer and he said they could tell through the computer that he had modified his engine and so that voided his warranty or something.

My whole family has CTD and my dad's 04 gets 20-21 mpg on the highway, my 00' CTD is getting around 18 on the highway.