Cummins diesel aftermarket Exhaust

chadr

I am thinking of getting an exhaust put on the Dodge and I have some questions for some of you that have done it. I don't live where they have smog checks, but someday they might put it into enforcement because we are growing so quickly. What are the legal issues of going without a catalytic converter on a diesel? Diesel engines stock put out a ton of emmissions and I don't know if there are problems with safety inspection if they notice that there isn't one. This might be one for the LEA members here.

Second, what system do you run and if so, why? I am looking at a MBRP 4" or an AFE system or maybe even a magnaflow. Also, what material (aluminized, stainless) would you go with? Would you go with the Turbo back system or just do a Cat back type? Are there certain systems that you would stay away from?

Another alternative would be to have a shop make a system for me, but I figure that there is quite a bit of engineering going into these systems so they must know what they are doing. What do you think?

The whole reason that I am looking at doing this is for cooler Exhaust temps so I don't fry my turbo. I am not planning on chipping it any time soon or doing any racing, but I would like to keep it cooler. Is there anything else that I should be thinking of before I make the plunge?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I installed an MBRP 4" on my dad's truck saturday.
It's a 98 12 valve, and I removed a banks 3.5" cat back, an OEM downpipe, and a completely hollowed out stock converter. It had passed smog for years with the hollowed converter, so I'm not worried at all.
I would reccomend MBRP to anyone... I can't stop talking about how good the system is. I've installed a ton of exhausts over the years, and I have never seen a system fit and install as well as MBRP's did. It took me longer to get the old system out than the new system in. The hangers went into the mounts easily, and on the first try, the downpipe fit perfectly, lined up with the rest of the system, and well, it was just good.
I went with the aluminized 4". Without massive injectors and a much bigger than stock turbo the 5" will just get you noise. The 4" made a HUGE difference for this dodge. About 200-300 degree drop over the banks and hollow stock stuff, and I can't get it to go over 1050 (pre turbo) now. I tried, and it wouldn't get any hotter. The turbo spools faster, and the sound isn't much louder than it was... just lower.
Like I said, I've worked with a bunch of exhaust mfgs, and I've never been as impressed with a system as I was the MBRP.

chadr

I installed an MBRP 4" on my dad's truck saturday.
It's a 98 12 valve, and I removed a banks 3.5" cat back, an OEM downpipe, and a completely hollowed out stock converter. It had passed smog for years with the hollowed converter, so I'm not worried at all.
I would reccomend MBRP to anyone... I can't stop talking about how good the system is. I've installed a ton of exhausts over the years, and I have never seen a system fit and install as well as MBRP's did. It took me longer to get the old system out than the new system in. The hangers went into the mounts easily, and on the first try, the downpipe fit perfectly, lined up with the rest of the system, and well, it was just good.
I went with the aluminized 4". Without massive injectors and a much bigger than stock turbo the 5" will just get you noise. The 4" made a HUGE difference for this dodge. About 200-300 degree drop over the banks and hollow stock stuff, and I can't get it to go over 1050 (pre turbo) now. I tried, and it wouldn't get any hotter. The turbo spools faster, and the sound isn't much louder than it was... just lower.
Like I said, I've worked with a bunch of exhaust mfgs, and I've never been as impressed with a system as I was the MBRP.

Any reason you went with the aluminized over the stainless? Just wondering what the benefits are both ways. Thanks for the input.

Meat_

Banned
Look here and here

I would now go with a Hog Perfomance 304 system, straight pipe. I don't know if Wayne ever picked up Hog for a product line....

Only newer diesels have a cat, the 12 and 24 valves have a resonance chamber and a muffler, I run neither on my truck and love it.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Any reason you went with the aluminized over the stainless? Just wondering what the benefits are both ways. Thanks for the input.

Cost. Thats it. Stainless will look better, and last a little longer, but most of the ugly is under the truck and out of sight. It aint a show truck...

chadr

Look here and here

I would now go with a Hog Perfomance 304 system, straight pipe. I don't know if Wayne ever picked up Hog for a product line....

Only newer diesels have a cat, the 12 and 24 valves have a resonance chamber and a muffler, I run neither on my truck and love it.

What year is "NEWER"? My 03 I thought was newer, but I may be wrong. I think my truck is a 24 valve. How can I find this out. I am at work and can't go look at it to make sure.

I will have to contact Wayne to see if he ever became a reseller.

Meat_

Banned
It will say 24valve on the door and on the motor. I'm 99% sure that the '03's were 24vs and the new motors came with the new body style in 2004. BUT I'm not sure when they started putting cats on them.

LT.

Okay, here is what I did and why. I put a MBRP, T304 stainless, cat back, dual 4" exhaust on my 06 Dodge dually. With this set up I have a few options. First, MBRP offers a cat test pipe or, a cat delete pipe if you perfer that termonalogy. It is a pipe that is pre bent to replace the cat if you like. With the cat back system you are only replacing the muffler and tail pipe. You can purchase the cat test pipe and run it if you don't want the cat. Later, when you move into an area where you need the cat you can simply bolt it back into the exhaust system. If you delete the cat you will notice a slight drop in your EGT's. There is no real performance gain to be had by deleting the cat. I went with the T304 because it carries a life time warrantee and the T409 carries a 5 year warrantee and the aluminized only carries a 1 year. I plan on keeping my truck for more than 5 years. The main reason I went with MBRP was at the time they were the only company that had sound clips for me to listen to. I wanted to know how my rig was going to sound. It is my opinion but, I think that MBRP is the best looking, best sounding, and easiest to install. My only complaint is that because of my dualls the tail pipes are a little short and my fenders get black from the exhaust. I have ordered some pipe so that I can extend the tail pipes to keep this from happening again.

I am a Diesel junkie. I also subscribe to Diesel Power Magaizine. If you look in there you will also notice that most of the folks are running MBRP. This also infulenced my decision to run this exhaust system. You are on the right track to modify your exhaust system first. If you continue to make changes to your rig the next step is a cold air intake. This is the foundation for all performance goodies.

LT.

chadr

Okay, here is what I did and why. I put a MBRP, T304 stainless, cat back, dual 4" exhaust on my 06 Dodge dually. With this set up I have a few options. First, MBRP offers a cat test pipe or, a cat delete pipe if you perfer that termonalogy. It is a pipe that is pre bent to replace the cat if you like. With the cat back system you are only replacing the muffler and tail pipe. You can purchase the cat test pipe and run it if you don't want the cat. Later, when you move into an area where you need the cat you can simply bolt it back into the exhaust system. If you delete the cat you will notice a slight drop in your EGT's. There is no real performance gain to be had by deleting the cat. I went with the T304 because it carries a life time warrantee and the T409 carries a 5 year warrantee and the aluminized only carries a 1 year. I plan on keeping my truck for more than 5 years. The main reason I went with MBRP was at the time they were the only company that had sound clips for me to listen to. I wanted to know how my rig was going to sound. It is my opinion but, I think that MBRP is the best looking, best sounding, and easiest to install. My only complaint is that because of my dualls the tail pipes are a little short and my fenders get black from the exhaust. I have ordered some pipe so that I can extend the tail pipes to keep this from happening again.

I am a Diesel junkie. I also subscribe to Diesel Power Magaizine. If you look in there you will also notice that most of the folks are running MBRP. This also infulenced my decision to run this exhaust system. You are on the right track to modify your exhaust system first. If you continue to make changes to your rig the next step is a cold air intake. This is the foundation for all performance goodies.

LT.

That is good to know about the cat pipe. I haven't read much on the cat back systems to know what they offer. I know that quite a few articles that I have read say that the down pipe has quite a bit of restriction on it. Do you have a EGT gauge on your truck and if so, what temps are you getting? I think that the stainless would be the option that I would probably want to stick with also.

I already have a K&N cold air intake because the guy that I purchased it from had it installed. I don't know if I like the filter on the diesel. I don't mind K&N on gas vehicles, but on the diesel I don't think that it filters as good as it should. I don't like to take it on any dusty roads at all. I am thinking of replacing just the filter with a different dry/oil free filter. I know that I have seen one out there that is getting good reviews. I don't remember what brand it is though. I saw that they were running them in the Baja 1000 and all they had to do was tap it and all of the dust would fall off. Pretty impressive :cool: Anyone know which one I am talking about?

Thanks for the insight. :D

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
That is good to know about the cat pipe. I haven't read much on the cat back systems to know what they offer. I know that quite a few articles that I have read say that the down pipe has quite a bit of restriction on it. Do you have a EGT gauge on your truck and if so, what temps are you getting? I think that the stainless would be the option that I would probably want to stick with also.

I already have a K&N cold air intake because the guy that I purchased it from had it installed. I don't know if I like the filter on the diesel. I don't mind K&N on gas vehicles, but on the diesel I don't think that it filters as good as it should. I don't like to take it on any dusty roads at all. I am thinking of replacing just the filter with a different dry/oil free filter. I know that I have seen one out there that is getting good reviews. I don't remember what brand it is though. I saw that they were running them in the Baja 1000 and all they had to do was tap it and all of the dust would fall off. Pretty impressive :cool: Anyone know which one I am talking about?

Thanks for the insight. :D

I've found the K&N dust sock to work really well for me. Like you, I wasn't impressed with the K&N but since I already had it, I got one of their socks and have been much happier. The sock also repells water and mud. Since I've been going through water/mud holes lately (no rocks up here :mad:) and I haven't been having the issues of sucking water/mud like I did with just the K&N. I guess I'm saying try the cheapo sock option first, then if you still don't like it, spend the higher $'s for a new filter.

chadr

AFE, HOG, Dyno, MBRP, etc...

I will get back with you. I am thinking of the MBRP turbo back exhaust in stainless steel. I don't know what the part numbers are yet. Their web site sucks about finding what is supposed to match. I think that it is a part number S6104409. Do you do a discount if I can get multiple orders for you? I have a couple of friends that I am trying to talk into doing this also.

Also, you probably carry the K&N prefilters that you mentioned don't you? What do they typically run? All I can find is about $45 anywhere. Can you get me a price for one? The K&N web site shows the following numbers depending on the colors.

RC-4780DK - Air Filter Wrap
RC-4780DL - Air Filter Wrap
RC-4780DR - Air Filter Wrap
RC-4780DY - Air Filter Wrap

Thanks for your help.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I will get back with you. I am thinking of the MBRP turbo back exhaust in stainless steel. I don't know what the part numbers are yet. Their web site sucks about finding what is supposed to match. I think that it is a part number S6104409. Do you do a discount if I can get multiple orders for you? I have a couple of friends that I am trying to talk into doing this also.

Also, you probably carry the K&N prefilters that you mentioned don't you? What do they typically run? All I can find is about $45 anywhere. Can you get me a price for one? The K&N web site shows the following numbers depending on the colors.

RC-4780DK - Air Filter Wrap
RC-4780DL - Air Filter Wrap
RC-4780DR - Air Filter Wrap
RC-4780DY - Air Filter Wrap

Thanks for your help.

PM'ed you prices.. S6104409 I have in stock and obviously the more you buy, the cheaper they get. I have access to about 11 kits right now. I can also combine shipping to save even more.

The filter wraps I can do $30 each on and I have them all but yellow in stock.

chadr

I found a Hog Performance turbo back kit on EBAY last saturday night for $189 and $25 to ship it. I had emailed Hog about prices about 3 weeks ago and they had the prices marked at regular price of $715 and sale price of $449. It came Tuesday evening and now I can't wait to get it installed.

Now just if I could afford to drive it!!!!!:-\

chadr

Question for those of you who have installed Hog Muffler on their trucks. How do you tell which end is the inlet and the outlet. They aren't labeled at all. I took a picture of each end.

I think that this one is the Outlet end.0607081125.jpg

I think that this one is the Inlet End.0607081126.jpg

Meat_

Banned
I would say the bottom one is the inlet. I would also say, leave the thing on the shelf and put in a piece of straight pipe :D