Cutting 1/2" aluminum

Bart

I have some 1/2" aluminum that I'd like to use for side skids on the buggy but can't for the life of me figure out how to cut it. I have a sawzall, circular saw, cut off wheel and jig saw but don't think any are up to this challenge.

Any suggestions? I'd even pay to have it cut.

Caleb

A circular saw will cut that without any issues. We regularly used 1/2" when I was shrimping and we always used either the circular saw or the miter.

oxbronco

You can also use your sawzall, with a course tooth blade. I usually just use a wood blade (seems to work pretty good).

Caleb

You can also use your sawzall, with a course tooth blade. I usually just use a wood blade (seems to work pretty good).
In any of the saws, use a wood blade. It will cut fine and having the course teeth will cause it to clog a whole lot less.

Bart

Thanks for all the help, I knew I could count on you guys. A shear would be perfection, but I want to do this today at my house. I'm going to try the wood blade in the circular saw. I used a plasma on some quarter inch and although it was fast it took a lot of clean up grinding and I want these sides straight. What kind of cutting fluid would you use? Would WD40 work?

sixb

Will work for beer!
Wd40 will work and a carbide tipped blade on that circular saw will be perfect. I have used this setup on a whole 4x8 sheet of 3/8 mic 6 alum. and held a +/- .010 tolerance for 4.5 wide x 15.0 long parts.

Caleb

Thanks for all the help, I knew I could count on you guys. A shear would be perfection, but I want to do this today at my house. I'm going to try the wood blade in the circular saw. I used a plasma on some quarter inch and although it was fast it took a lot of clean up grinding and I want these sides straight. What kind of cutting fluid would you use? Would WD40 work?
I've never used any kind of cutting fluid. Two suggestions, use a straight edge (the slightest twist in the saw will cause it to kick out, I've seen several guys get cut to the bone from this). Second suggestion is if you are able to, get something to put on the part of the circular saw that is supposed to glide. Sometimes the metal on aluminum won't slide too well and you can end up with gouges in the aluminum from it.

Corban_White

...I used a plasma on some quarter inch and although it was fast it took a lot of clean up grinding and I want these sides straight...

Huh, did you use a straight edge? The last time I cut thick Al with the plasma the edge looked like it was sheared but without the squished corner on the leading edge. No sanding or grinding at all and perfectly straight. That said I have used the circular saw and a miter saw before and they work well-it just scares me a bit. :greg:

Bart

The knowledge here is awesome. I just happened to have a new carbide blade on my circular saw and used mui WD-40, and it cut right through it. I've been putting that project off for so long and it was a cake walk. Thanks again.

jsudar

I use a table saw for just about everything when I need a long straight cut. A good carbide blade works wonders on all sorts of stuff. I have even seen guys cut thin steel (<.120) on table saw with no ill effects. I haven't personally tried cutting steel yet, but it'll do aluminum no problem. I guess I am kind of late to the game though.